OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lapping Scope Rings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lapping Scope Rings
    Posted: October/11/2015 at 18:33
How many of you guys lap scope rings
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2015 at 18:38
Nope. I buy quality rings to begin with. I have no need to lap quality rings. Some do though. You'll be hearing from "them" shortly to extol this practice. Wink

Not to say I NEVER would, just don't need to.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2015 at 18:56
Yep, me too!  I've got the entire set-up to lap them but every set of Talley Lite Weights I buy align perfectly and I don't feel the need to lap off the finish just for fun....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2015 at 19:23
I buy talley on all my guns but just had a big problem with a set of light weights, they were so far off, just interested if it is worth the effort
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2015 at 20:03
Talley will take care of you!  contact them!  They have excellent CS!  If you lap them I doubt they would replace them.

This is the first time I've heard of any issues with the lite weights and I own several sets. 
I thought I did once but I found debris under one of them....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2015 at 20:35
I have never lapped rings as all I use is Talley, I know they will take care of it they are a good company
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 05:13
I did that on my Super Duper Accurate Rifle.
I am not sure how others lap the rings, but I mounted the rings in place with the scope aligned etc. Then I removed the scope and lapped the rings. I think that this way lapping does not just take care of the rings, but also with any misalignment of the scope mounts and tapped receiver mount holes.

Since I have lapped my scope rings the grouping have tightened up from 1 MOA to 1/4 MOA all day longWink
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 06:35
Ring manufacturers cannot keep rifle manufacturers from drilling scope mounting holes out of alignment. Good quality two piece mounts will be out of alignment if the holes the screws go in are off. If you use two piece mounts or bases, lapping might be worth the trouble.

As for what I do, well, I don't lap rings. If it's a rig where I'm that concerned about things, I just spend money on particular mounts that won't need lapping. Here recently I started making the move to picatinny rails. Good rings on a good one piece base don't need it. Good one piece unitized mounts don't either. I did use a Weaver unitized AR mount on a Simmons scope that could've used lapping, but I didn't care enough to bother. (Surprisingly good resolution out of the scope, btw. Plenty good for small game with that AR.)

Edited by urbaneruralite - October/12/2015 at 06:40
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 08:19
I think there's some law I'd be breaking if I lapped any of my Spuhr mounts.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 10:43
Some ring manufacturers say you void the warranty by lapping rings, check warranty before you do it.

I prefer 1-piece bases because they seldom have alignment issues (good bases, that is.)  A good check, regardless of configuration, is to put the scope in the lower ring halves and check for any binding.  If there is binding, there is an alignment issue.  

If there is an alignment issue, STOP!  Check bases, check rings, do not proceed.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
silvrjeepr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvrjeepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 12:11

I started lapping 2 piece bases years ago and was very pleased with the results. The last scope I mounted used Burris Signature rings, and I doubt I'll stray from those for a while. That being said, if I use a two piece mount with no plastic bushings, I wouldn't hesitate to break out the lapping bar again.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. -- Mark Twain
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 17:11
Interesting how incorrectly drilled scope mounting holes, misalignment, etc is often blamed on the rings, and that "good" rings can fix these receiver manufacturing issues.  

I bought a 7mm Rem Mag from Hill Country Rifles a couple of years ago.  I had them install and bed the Talley Lightweight rings while they were at it, and they also insisted on lapping the rings, telling me they lapped every set of Talleys they used, mainly due to the manufacturer's poor quality control.  HCR knows what they're doing IMO.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 20:10
Raider, you never cease to amaze, finding people whose experience is the complete opposite of the rest of the world.
HCR will never see a dime of my money, but I am sure they fix up Talley's mistakes real good.

And I figured you for a 7 mag guy.

Nice to know the works is still turning tonight. Sleep well.

Original poster, I have several sets of Talley's, no problems, and I'd bet a few more knowledgable people have similar experiences. I do wonder why Raider chooses to use rings from a shop his experts say have bad QC, but such questions lead to butthurt, so I'll wonder in silence.

Carry on.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 20:31
Maybe what I posted was unclear.....HCR's lapping of Talley's has as more to do with fixing the rifle manufacturers screw ups than Talley's.  I like TLW's quite a bit, and I call it the 7mm Rem Magnificent BTW. 

Varying opinions are easy to find though. 

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/10505132/gonew/1/Talley_disappointment#UNREAD
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 20:36
Whistling
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 20:42
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I had them install and bed the Talley Lightweight rings while they were at it, and they also insisted on lapping the rings, telling me they lapped every set of Talleys they used, mainly due to the manufacturer's poor quality control.

I was addressing this specifically.

Talley's are well known in a few industries, and not for bad QC. We move in different circles, obviously, but we already knew that.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 20:50
Need a tums Jeff?  It's just not worth it my friend!
--Thomas Jefferson

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 20:53
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I had them install and bed the Talley Lightweight rings while they were at it, and they also insisted on lapping the rings, telling me they lapped every set of Talleys they used, mainly due to the manufacturer's poor quality control.

I was addressing this specifically.

Talley's are well known in a few industries, and not for bad QC. We move in different circles, obviously, but we already knew that.

After reading it prior to my last post, that's why I attempted to correct it in a manner that was easily understood, nevertheless, I'll try again.......due to the rifle manufacturers poor quality control.  That's what i meant to say in the beginning. 
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 21:28
I have talleys on an x bolt and an a bolt no problems, but had issues on 2 kimbers with Talley, so I am not sure what the problem is, I put a set of Burris Signature Rings on one kimber and worked perfect.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2015 at 09:45
Originally posted by Blueboy Blueboy wrote:

I buy talley on all my guns but just had a big problem with a set of light weights, they were so far off, just interested if it is worth the effort

I did not read through all this, but often times it is the action that may have a slight issue.  Most of the finishing on the top of the action is done by had.  This can cause the top of action to not be true, so when you mount anything on it they are not square.

Even using a one piece base will not fix this as they will just bend.  Sometimes bedding with epoxy is necessary to it sqaures everything up.  It is simple to do with a one piece base, but complicated with two piece. 

I have had a couple Remingtons that were way way off from front mounting point to rear mounting point.  They both got one piece bases bedding with epoxy. 

If you lap, you could lap your rings oversize.  Depending upon how much you have to lap off.  Then it may cause your scope to slip.  Also it usually messes up the finish on your scope as well because you lap off the smooth finish. 

Lapping is usually just a band-aid for a more serious problem.  

Kokopelli and Wheeler both make scope ring alignment kits that can easily show you the problem.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic