OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Dangerous Game Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 00:10
This sorta comes down to how much money you want to spend.

Many European scopes are very good because they are built to a higher price point.  By and large, simply being made in Europe does not make them better or worse.
ILya  AKA  Koshkin replied:

Ultimately, it comes down to your budget and application.

416 and dangerous game mean that you want to have very good performance at low magnification first and foremost along with long and flexible eyerelief.

For that, I would be looking at, in order of increasing price:

Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 
Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6x24
Kahles K15i 1-5x24
Steiner Nighthunter 1-5x24
Kahles K16i 1-6x24

Trijicon Accupoint 1-6x24 also looks very promising, but I do not have any significant time with it.

Good luck with your choice.
ILya
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 00:12

RifleDude wrote:

Hi, Charles --

Yes indeed, the S&B Zenith 1.1-4X24 is optically better than Leupold VX-6 16X24. No doubt. The same goes for the S&B Zenith 1-8X24, Swarovski Z6 & Z6i 1-6X24 and Zeiss Victory HT 1.1-4X24. All of those are very close. They are all unquestionably better than the Leupold VX-6. But they're also between 2-4 times more expensive, so they'd better be. Though better in an absolute sense, when you buy these premium scopes, you're paying a premium price for marginal performance improvements. The performance difference won't be proportional to the increase in price. That's just the way it works with optics. Beyond a certain point (above the upper mid range), slight increases in performance comes with a significant increase in price. The question then becomes how much are you willing to pay and at what level of performance is "good enough" for you?

The Leupold VX-6 series is very good. I doubt you'd be disappointed in it at all. For that matter, the VX-3 series scopes aren't shabby either. It's pretty easy to make an optically superb scope at such low power anyway.

What is way more important, especially on a heavy recoiling rifle, is mechanical integrity. If a scope doesn't withstand heavy recoil punishment and maintain zero, having the best optics in the world is useless, as a scope is first and foremost an aiming device. S&B scopes have a reputation for being mechanically tough and handling heavy recoil. I don't know if the Zenith is really any better in that regard than the other scopes mentioned, and I have no way of really knowing. I just know that you seldom ever hear of a S&B failing mechanically.

Although I don't have those exact models, I do have a Zenith, a couple of Zeiss Victory scopes, and a Swarovski Z6i, among other premium scopes. I don't have a Leupold VX-6, but have spent trigger time behind one. All of those scopes are very very good, and you won't make a mistake in selecting any of them. 

Only you can determine whether the marginal improvement in optical performance is worth $1K - $2K more.

Ted
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 00:13
RE: Dangerous Game Scope
Schmidt &amp;amp; Bender 1.1-4x24 Zenith 30mm Riflescope #7 Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4x24 Zenith 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - 9767Z
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Dangerous Game
$1,499.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl07_Price_VS value=pUsUb7qo91RXH1NdszrFwyGfu69Xo67lzoF2cN5qg9SJnEUTtc0dy5pSo6LS/yIH = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl07$Price$VS>
This is pretty hard to beat.  There are some other considerations you have to take into account when purchasing a dangerous game scope one has to realize the rifle action is longer than most common hunting calibers therefore a scope that offers some flexibility as far as distance between rings is important. The problem one can encounter is that some scopes that are not straight tube simply dont allow enough distance between rings to mount the optic.  One of the things I will suggest is that La Rue Tactical offers quick detach rings  LT107 I believe and they will return to zero.
you might also want to think about having either an illumiated aimpoint  as a back up optic.   Illumination is nice for things that hunt you at night a friend of mine has a lioness in his den that came into camp at night after them. You might also ask Rancid Coolaid he has hunted Africa recently.
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 08:47
I have an Aimpoint Hunter on my .375 H&H.  Love it.  Zeroed at 300 yards.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 22:02

Taqua,

I didn't see the Kahles 1.1-4x24 with a 4A reticle. Is it a discontinued model? I found the Kahles K15i 1-5x24 and the Kahles Helia 1-5x24.

Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2015 at 15:21
I purchased the Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4x24 Zenith. Thank you everyone for your help.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2015 at 21:28
Great scope! I have no doubt you'll love it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2015 at 11:27
That is a great scope and should perform well for you.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2015 at 16:07
It looks like you have to get the illuminated in the Helia 5 for a #4 reticle.
You will be very happy with the S&B
Doug
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2015 at 10:17
We will be expecting a field report when you return! Cool
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2015 at 18:39

Purchased the Talley quick release for the S&B scope.

Thank you everyone.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 12:54
Outstanding QD mounts. I have them on several rifles.
Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 17:27
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Outstanding QD mounts. I have them on several rifles.

Good deal. I love them too, I just prefer horizontal split slightly better.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 20:38
Its hard to beat that scope for a dangerous game scope.  I would suggest stalking with it at 2x or under then if you have time to dial to higher power fine if not you may be really glad it's at 2x or under.
I have some Talley quick release rings that will go on my next Tikka but not having tried them out yet I was hesitant to suggest them.  I have used the La Rue quick release rings on two rifles for several years and like them.  I had bad luck with Leupold's quick release rings wearing out on a musket that I had to remove the scope to clean. If I go Leupold I use dual dovetail rings.  Everything I have tried from Talley has been impressive so I believe that your rings will do well.

You will have to post some photos when you get back.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/04/2015 at 20:51

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sambarman338 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sambarman338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2015 at 05:40
I think that Kahles 1.1-4x24 scope has been superseded now, though it is still good in many respects. The eye relief is longer than the old Helia Super 2.3-7 I used for 30+ years but not as flexible, reducing to an exit-pupil bead immediately behind the sweet spot.

As regards the original question, I don't trust any modern scopes, since they have virtually all gone to image movement. With that mini-me erector tube bouncing around inside under heavy recoil, it can only be a matter of time before the screws start to dent or wear it as it returns to battery after the shot.

I use old Nickel Marburg reticle-movement scopes on my .338 magnum and .22RF and would prefer my Zeiss/Hensoldts and B&L Custom scopes from the same period (40-50 years ago) if I could find usable mounts for modern rifles.
Stevel610 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevel610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2015 at 19:54
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3x20-FX-2-Riflescope-P50862.aspx

Was going to suggest this, but a little late I guess....
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2015 at 01:11
Stevel610,
That's OK. Someone posted that I should put my scope with my carry on luggage. If I do that I could put a less expensive back up scope on my rifle. Maybe a Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3? Just in case anything happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic