OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica ERi, Kahles KXi or Meopta Meostar R2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica ERi, Kahles KXi or Meopta Meostar R2
    Posted: October/07/2015 at 12:40

Looking to purchase one of the following scopes for a hunting rifle in .270 Winchester.

Kahles KXi    3.5-10x50

Leica ERi       2.5-10x42

Meopta Meostar R2   3-10x50

I would like some input from people who have one of these scopes. Thank you very much for your advice.

Charles

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 13:42
Picked up a Leica ERi 2.5-10X42 about a month ago. It's my first and I love it so far.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 15:29

I'm not a fan of 50mm obj for medium/big hunting rifles so I would pick the leica on that premise alone.  

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 19:56

Peddler,

How are the optics in lower light conditions? Have you had it out at the range to test?

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 22:49
Which Meopta R2 are you looking at ? The one you listed isn't in the R2 line.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 04:27
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Peddler,

How are the optics in lower light conditions? Have you had it out at the range to test?

Yes it's like a new baby almost every morning and every evening. Only at 100 yards so far...
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 07:19
I have several Kahles C 30mm scopes and the Leica in non-illuminated. The glass is very good and will let you hunt anywhere and anytime.
My brother has a couple of the R1 Meoptas, incuding the 3-10x50. This one has the #4 reticle and it, too, will let you hunt anywhere and anytime.
Any of the three are splitting hairs and the best thing to do is look through all three. Their is some slight differences in contrast vs resolution. I find the Leica to be quite "contrasty" in low light and with cover in the background. The Kahles models I have are even better. For me, I would take Kahles if money allowed. If budget is a concern, the Meopta is great.
Doug
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 11:46

Roy Finn

You are correct. My mistake. Looking at the R2.

R2 2-12x50

R1 3-10x50

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 21:50

I have a Leica ER 2.5-10 x 42 with the plex reticle and I love it. Glass is astonishing and considering it's a 30mm Euro scope, it doesn't weigh all that much. Probably an ounce heavier than the Bushnell Elite 2.5-10 x 40 it replaced. The other scope I was eyeballing was the 1.7-10 x 42 R2 but I wanted a non-illuminated scope and Meopta hasn't come out with a non-illuminated version yet, and according to them they probably won't in the R2 line. They are also 4 ounces heavier than the Leica. If they had an illuminated plex reticle, I'd have bought that. I'm just not real crazy about the #4 reticles that they all use when they offer an illuminated reticle.

Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 23:46
Sweet looking rig, Roy! I, like the OP, have one of these units on my bucket list.
Outrider
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 22:05

Tahqua,

Finding a store near my home that has the three scopes in stock is quite impossible. Many mail order stores will be happy to charge my card and ship me the three scopes to my home. I can review them at my leisure and return the ones that I don't want.

Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 22:06

Tahqua,

I am leaning towards the Leica and Kahles.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic