OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megsdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for AR
    Posted: October/06/2015 at 21:45
Hi All. 
New guy checking in. Looking for new scope for my AR. Currently have a basic Del Ton 16 in Mforgery. it's used 90 percent of the time for 100 yard bench shooting. occasionally 300 on steel. currently has a Nikon P223 3-9 on it. I just turned 60 and seeing hits on paper is getting harder. looking for more magnification. For those who use them will a Super Sniper 12x allow you to see hits at 100 yards on paper?
Also considering a  Primary Arms 4-14x44 . which would you choose? 
Thanks for the input. sorry about the length....

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 11:16

90% of the time for bench shooting,  whats the other 10% used for?

What's your budget?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
megsdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megsdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 20:48
Sorry, should have been clearer. it's 100 percent bench gun. mostly 100 yard paper punch. occasionally
out to 300 on steel.  would like to keep it at $300 or less.
Thanks
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 21:00

A 14X to 18X would be better but not familiar with Primary Arms. Also wondering what kind of targets you are using. If silhouettes then the higher power will still be a challenge sometimes depending on light.

I use discarded or cheap wrapping paper (white side up)and orange or pink 3/4" price dots from the Dollar store. Seeing hits out to 400 is a little easier. The Nikon P223 is a pretty good scope its too bad it isn't doing what you need anymore.

Good Luck with it!

Welcome to the OT!!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 21:06
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
megsdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megsdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 21:59
Thanks for the replies! The samples look great. my search skills are weak... do the samples still have a warranty?
Thanks
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 22:08
Another option is keep the scope and invest in a spotting scope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 22:18
Originally posted by megsdad megsdad wrote:

Thanks for the replies! The samples look great. my search skills are weak... do the samples still have a warranty?
Thanks

Nikon customer service is pretty good. As for the warranties I'm not in the know......... 

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 05:30
You can Ask SWFA as well as get an estimate on trade in value of your scope toward another!
This might help bump you up into better scopes!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 16:46
+1,can never go wrong with the help from SWFA Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 08:01
With $300 in my pocket needing a scope for the range only I would look at the fixed 16X SS's and a SSALT mount if you don't already have a mount.  Buying a demo unit (still covered by warranty because SWFA covers their SS brand) and a mount will put you right at $300.

or new -

If you want variable, this is what I spend my money on and then spring for a mount.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 21:44
I think you need a spotting scope
Konus 20-60x100 Konuspot Spotting Scope Konus 20-60x100 Konuspot Spotting Scope
Stock # - KON7122
  • Green
  • Angled
  • Comes with Camera Adapter and Carrying Case
$321.95 _Add Konus 20-60x100 Konuspot Spotting Scope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bearcatrp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bearcatrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 12:34
Spotting scope is nice to have but why not get a 16x scope. Less stuff to haul to the range. My bad eyes have no problems viewing my shots with my 16x SS. Can't beat the price and warranty on these scopes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic