OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I have a dumb question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have a dumb question.
    Posted: October/06/2015 at 13:52
I was sighting in my scope the other day, and used a lot of $ammo to get nowhere. What my  big problem is, what way to twist windage and elevation.

If my shot is high, do I turn the clicker clockwise or counter-clockwise to bring the shots  down?

If my point of impact is is to the left, do I turn the clicker clockwise or counter-clockwise to bring it more to the right?

THX much,

Rogervan
Roger Van C.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2015 at 13:57
Your adjustments should say right or left on them.  Often they just say right and up with an arrow.

If you want your POI to move right, then you move the adjustment to the right that way the arrow is pointing.  Same with up and down.  If you want to go up, turn the adjustment in the up direction.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2015 at 13:58
Generally, the direction indicated on the turret corresponds to point of impact change.  If the elevation turret says clockwise for up, that means the round impact will move up proportional to the number of clicks of the turret when it is spun clockwise.  Same with windage.

Don't look through the scope as you make the adjustment, you'll just confuse yourself more - to move the point of impact up, you move the horizontal down, that screws up lots of people.

Whether clockwise or counter-clock, that depends on the make and model of scope.  The turrets should say something about point of impact.  Just remember it is referencing point of impact: "up" moves the strike up, "right" moves the strike right.  It DOES NOT mean the cross-hairs move "up" or "right."
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2015 at 14:28
Just some other general information that may help. It may not pertain to your scope, but it gives you a starting point.
If you are sighting in on a target at 100yds it makes everything easier.
With most scopes 1 click of the adjustments equals about 1/4 of an inch at 100yds.
When sighting in, try shooting a 3 to 5 shot group. If the center of your group is 2 inches high and 1 and 1/2 inch to the left of where you are aiming at 100yds, you need to come down 8 clicks and come right 6 clicks. Then shoot another group to confirm your sight in.
If you can't get a group, then you need to make sure your scope ring screws and mount screws are tight.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2015 at 16:04
Usually when people have problems like that, it is because the scope adjustments are not accurate. There is a simple way to zero without using up ammo and depending on inaccurate turrets. You shoot a group, then lock the rifle down solidly, as in a vice, with the cross hairs on the point of aim. Then you look through the scope, without moving the rifle, while adjusting the crosshairs to the center of the group. This gets you very close to zeroed with one group fired.

It is difficult to hold the rifle still enough to get it exactly zeroed. Also, the turrets may settle a little moving the point of impact. I use the method often with my target scope. I move that scope around between rifles and use the method to get it near enough point of aim for measuring groups. I also use the method to help others at the range when it gets close to deer season.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2015 at 16:41
Originally posted by rogervan rogervan wrote:

I was sighting in my scope the other day, and used a lot of $ammo to get nowhere. What my  big problem is, what way to twist windage and elevation.

If my shot is high, do I turn the clicker clockwise or counter-clockwise to bring the shots  down?

If my point of impact is is to the left, do I turn the clicker clockwise or counter-clockwise to bring it more to the right?

THX much,

Rogervan

Did you ever get on paper?
At what distance did you begin and end?
Are you familiar with bore sighting?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
rogervan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2015 at 17:01
Thanks for the info guys. I thought the windage and elevation-setting turret twisting directions were universal. I don't have the rifle with me right now, I left it in the cabin. But I assure you I'm mighty curious about what the scope says on it. Right now all I can remember are curved arrows on the clickers.

I'll let you know what I find out.

R. Van C.
Roger Van C.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 20:43
What scope are you working with?
opticalillusion View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticalillusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 21:09
I was thinking the same thing Mil. What scope are we discussing? Many years ago my dad was sighting in a cheaper scope and was having trouble. I took the rifle and shot a few times to find out where I needed to adjust. I adjusted the windage first and then bumped with my palm up and down the entire length of the scope several times and squeezed the trigger again. Next I adjusted the elevation and bumped the scope some more. My dad got pissed and told me I'd better stop beating on his scope because I was going to damage it. I replied, "If you'd stop buying cheap scopes I wouldn't have to bump it to ensure the adjustments are accurate". Needless to say I eventually got him on the bullseye and when he bumped his rifle around later in the season he didn't lose point of impact. Now a days he's moving up in the world and has a Sightron Big Sky where the adjustment are true and the glass is pretty good.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 21:23
Let me add in a suggestion.   Most scopes are 1/4moa per click that means 1/4 inch movement at 100 yds so even with sandbags if your a tad unsteady you might not be able to tell what one or two clicks do but if you try  12 clicks you should see about a 3 inch movement in point of impact at 100 yds but keep in mind that at 50 yds that 12 clicks is 1 1/2 inch movement and at 200  yds that same 12 clicks is 6 inches of movement.    A rock solid rest lots of trigger control lots of breathing control is what it takes to have a true shot.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic