OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Two SWFA SS10X42MQ out of calibration?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two SWFA SS10X42MQ out of calibration?
    Posted: September/26/2015 at 10:19
I am suspecting a bad batch of SWFA SS10X42MQ scopes or simply distance markings that should be ignored.  
I purchase 2 of these scopes within a few weeks and both have parallax adjustments that are significantly off the labeled distances.

Key points:
  1. To adjust the parallax at a target over 1000 meters away, the parallax must be adjusted to 175-200 meters.  The marked ranges also include "300", "500" and "∞" so one would expect the adjustment to be between 500 and ∞.
  2. At 100 meters the parallax matches the 100 meter mark exactly (tested at an indoor rifle range). Perhaps they calibrate to 100 meters and assume the markings on the parallax adjustment are correct?.
  3. The amount of parallax is NOT affected by the diopter adjustment.  Of course this affects FOCUS but there is no effect on the amount of parallax.  (I'm assuming this is normal at least for this scope and another scope I own functions the same way)
  4. This is probably basic optics theory, but when the parallax in the center of the reticle is dialed out to eliminate parallax, off to  any side of the reticle, there is some parallax deviation.  Not a lot but noticeable.   I assume this is normal for optics in this class.  
Final notes:

If I ignore the parallax number, the scope appears to work perfectly.  Is this possibly normal for this scope? 
I'm considering keeping it as is since the first one I sent back got lost in the mail.  
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2015 at 17:46
I would ignore it and keep it. None of my scopes match the distance and the distance marked on the scope. Which are Swaro, Zeiss, Leupold among others.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2015 at 17:52
My Hensoldt is the closest to matching the numbers for parallax… but not exact.  US Optics is pretty close.  I've not found any that are "exact".  I don't use the numbers on the dials, just adjust until it is where I need it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2015 at 17:56
I have yet to own a scope where the yardage markings are accurate.
I wouldn't' worry about it if all else is working.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
martinv View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2015 at 22:29
Thanks for the replies.  I feel a lot more comfortable knowing this is normal and will keep the scope.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2015 at 06:00
My 10x SS is almost right on, but not quite. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2015 at 08:28
I have a 10xHD, and it is "close", but not right on.  Parallax adjustment is not merely a mechanical thing… is it also a "visual" thing.  My wife and shoot a lot of the same firearms, look through the same binoculars… we ALWAYS have to adjust focus/parallax after the other's use.  I've never picked up a rifle with a scope with parallax adjustment, looked through and said… dang, right on.  Some have been close, but everyone has needed fine tuning.  It once bothered me, but years ago I realized it was just a cost of shooting… I really don't pay much attenton to it anymore.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2015 at 23:44
I have a few riflescopes, among them two Hensoldts.  Neither of my Hensoldt's parallax markings match the actual distance that the parallax has been corrected for.  It doesn't bother me at all.  I just adjust the knob until the parallax is corrected for and fire away.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic