OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Simmons AETEC vs 44 Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aSean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmons AETEC vs 44 Mag
    Posted: July/16/2004 at 12:27

I am considering purchasing an AETEC scope for my varmit/target AR.  I like the mildot sites available on the 44mag scopes as well as the target turrets and larger magnifications, but am not sure of the difference between the two lines of scopes (aetec/44mag).  I've been reading good things about the AETEC's, and wanted to know if I could expect the same out of a 44 mag.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 15:11
the aetec is a great scope for the money. i have no experience with the 44 mag thoguht. i have heard it is also a good scope for the money, and holds zero good, but has its tracking problems, which is not a issue if you jsut leave it alone, and on the top end powers like 15-20 it tends to get a bit blurry, but i can't verify that. but there is also the nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x44 with mildot, for about 279 that is also another great choice, and is the scope i would get over the simmons if your lookin for mildot.

BTW, what gun did you get

cory
aSean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aSean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 17:45
I bought a DPMS 24" lo pro upper for my ar (came in today) and am still mulling over the lower choice.  What I want in a scope is mainly some target turrets and an adjustable objective.  The magnification isnt so much of a problem (a/o's are mostly over 3-9 anyway).  Any other suggestions?

Edited by aSean
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 19:00

The Aetec uses aspherical lenses (flat camera type lenses), gives you a wide field of view and clear to the edges.  You will also notice the Aetec has longer eye relief and is easier to look through.  If you want high power, target knobs and a mil dot and don't want to break the bank then the 44-Mag is a good choice.  There are better but of course they are more money.  I will hit on a few that won't break the bank and fit your requirements.

Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 A/O, Matte, Mil-Dot, Low Profile Target Knobs.....$389.95

Weaver V-24 6-24x42 A/O, Matte, Mil-Dot, Low Profile Target Knobs.....$339.95

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 19:03
Another choice that I am surprised no one else (read...Cory) brought up is the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 with the ballistic plex reticle and a free 12-24x50 spotting scope for $319.95.  It does not have target knobs because the reticle does the work for ya.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 16:45
i guess i kinda didnt mention that. i should have, its also an excellent choice.

cory
abmx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2004 at 17:53

I doubted the Simmons line of scopes untill 3 years ago when my son took my .375 to Alaska and had an accident and dropped the rifle. The old Loopy was totaled and the only scope he could fing quickly was a Simmons Aetec. The scope was installed and sighted in, carried in an float plane, quad wheeler, 4 wheel drive and a commerical airplane. When he came home I took the rifle to the range and shot about 25 rounds and the Aetec was still zeroed and did not break. To date the scope has about 75 to 80 rounds of full house .375 loads and has held together.

Since we had such good luck with the Aetec we have purchased four 44 Mag scopes and 2 more Aetec scopes.

To date there has not been a problem with any of them.

The 44 Mag scopes are mounted on a .223 varmint rifle, AR 15, 25-06  and a hard kicking 30-06 Whelen Improved.

Three of the 44 MAg scopes are the model #1048 6.5 to 20 with AO and Traget Turrets. These scopes are clear as any medimum priced scope and work good for target or varmint hunting on 20X power.

I just bought a Ruger 10/22T for my grandvarmints and I am going to put another #1048 6.5 to 20X on it.

For my money these Simmons scopes are the way to go. I don't doubt that there will be a bad one one day, but I've had Loopys and Ziess fail also.

Edited by abmx
12-7-41 & 9-11-01

NEVER FORGIVE & NEVER FORGET

DAVE
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2004 at 21:39
Of the scopes mentioned by Chris my first choice would be the Elite. I had a Weaver V 4-16 on a hard kicker ( 30 STW) and it held up amazingly well, but from an optics standpoint, it is not in the same league as the Elite. The Burris 4.5-14x42 would be another great choice. The Burris has good optics and is a very durable scope. Although the free spotter is a nice deal, I would not let it distract me for my pick of the pack. If your budget allows, go for the Elite. You will not be disappointed.
abmx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 20:27

I agree that the Bushnell Elite 4200 is a great scope. I put a 8-32X40 on a tack driving .243 varminter and have not been disapointed. The optics are exceptionally clear and the adjustment is excellent.

All of the Elite series scopes I have looked through have been really clear.

12-7-41 & 9-11-01

NEVER FORGIVE & NEVER FORGET

DAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic