OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hensoldt 6-24X56 vs Hensoldt 6-24X72

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 13:20
  Received my Hensoldt about a week ago and had a chance to try it out over the last few days.
 I am extremely disappointed. The CA is brutal in this scope. I have no idea how it left the factory like this.
 A snow line at 900 yards looked like someone painted a line 6 -8 feet deep across the entire field of view with florescent green, shift your eye down and it looks like 6-8 feet bright purple across the entire field of view. The images was impossible to focus past 500-600 yards. At dusk a $300 bushnell was superior( no I am not kidding)..It is simply blurry past 500-600 yards no matter what you do. Of course this as well as the rainbow effect is caused by excessive CA.
  If Hensoldt doesn't get their act together they will be for sale again....
 I am waiting to hear back from the dealer in order to send it back...
  Mistakes happen but it seems there are at least 3 mistakes in this one thread.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:10

This thread is confusing the hell out of me.  I have extensive experience with the Hensoldt 6-24x72 FFP and the Kahles 6-24x56, and people are saying things about the Henny that are orthogonal to my experience.
If someone chimes in that their Barska is better than the Henny, I'll know I've been played; but till them, what the hell are you people doing!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:28
  I ordered 3 scopes at the same time to compare. SO far I received the Hensoldt 6-24x72 and Schmidt and Bender PMII  5-25x56. I am still waiting on a Tangent Theta 5-25x56.
  Obviously I got a defective Hensoldt. I just don't see how they could ship a scope that was so bad.
 This was my first Hensoldt so I am not to thrilled about receiving a dud. Anyway, I have emailed the dealer and am waiting to hear back from him. Hopefully they replace it without a hassle and send a properly functioning unit.
  Hensoldt was bought  by Cassidian a couple of years ago. I am wondering if that has anything to do with what seems to be a quality control issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:41
Are you buying from a reputable dealer, an actual dealer?  These aren't ebay purchases, right?  No extra letters in "Hensoldt"?
Given the competitors, it will be close.  I have used the S&B, Henny, and the old Premier that is the foundation for the Tangent Theta, all great glass, each with a few differences.
If you look through the Henny and don't immediately say "wow", then yes, something is wrong.
canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:49
  If is from an authorized dealer. I have purchased from him several times including a Vectronix PLRF15C and Leica 8x42 HD-B rangefinder binos.
   As I said, I guess I got a dud but I must say it was extremely disappointing cause I looked through one before and thought it was the best I had seen.
canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:51
on a positive note it has by far the best eye box i have ever seen...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 15:43
In all honesty, with Hensoldt's changes to warranty coverage over the past few years, I would be more inclined to go TT or S&B right now, just too much in question with Hensoldt.
canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 16:29
  The main purpose of the 6-24x72 was going to be for long range hunting( for mature whitetail bucks) which is often in low light. So I hope the next one meets my expectations. If not I am probably going with a zeiss 4.8-35x60 or the  S&B 4-16x56 PMII ultra bright.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 16:51
If the Hensoldts you are buying are the ones after sellout by Zeiss, I cannot speak to those… Other than the only 3.5-26 I've ever had my hands on, I was not very impressed with.  

I would not purchase one of the Airbus versions.  Never cared for much of anything built by Airbus.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2016 at 12:37
  Found out they are still built in the same place. I guess I just got a dud . It happens. Anyway, I should have a replacement in about 3 weeks.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2016 at 21:36
Originally posted by canuck525 canuck525 wrote:

Found out they are still built in the same place. I guess I just got a dud . It happens. Anyway, I should have a replacement in about 3 weeks.
Built at the same place doesn't carry much meaning… there are a number of scopes "built at the same place" as fine…exceptional... scopes that do not have the same quality control.  I have not researched the Airbus takeover after Cassidian became a majority owner of the Hensoldt brand.  Every Hensoldt I've ever had my hands on has been of superior quality in every category… except the 3.5-26(but I did not have enough time to do more than make a cursory examination, fire a few rounds… I was just not as impressed as I expected).  
It would be a real shame to see Hensoldt become "just another name"…

scottyman, my apologies for doubting you.  Though I still find it difficult to believe Hensoldt would have fallen so far, based upon what I've seen, just very recently, of the company manipulations in the last few years, anything is possible.  Flabbergasting to imagine that Zeiss would let such things happen.  I've never seen a Hensoldt that was not optically superior.  They are beginning to sound like ATN...

Nothing is sacred… 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2016 at 21:23
Koshkin did a quick report on the 2016 Shot Show.  He said, hands down, no question, Tangent Theta was the best scope in the world.  He wasn't just talking optically either even though it does have the best image.  Everything on the Tangent Theta appears to have been carefully considered and very well engineered and built.

Now you just need $4500.00.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 21:32
 I will be picking up the replacement Henny tomorrow. It will be a a couple of weeks before I get a chance to put it through the paces. I am crossing my fingers( and toes).....
canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2016 at 11:33
  Ok, finally got a chance to evaluate the replacement Hensoldt 6-24x72. Hensoldt was aware of the problem with the first one and sent this repacement from Germany.First off after carefully inspecting the scope I could see several scratches on one of the interior lenses but they were tiny( still shouldn't be there).  Optically it was much better than the first but still sub standard. My 8-32 Sightron SIII was superior and my Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 PMII was in an entirely different league in every optical category.
 Long story short is this Hensh*t is going back and I am not giving them a third chance( unless Zeiss buys them back). I am both disappointed and ticked off they would send out a replacement scope like this( even after knowing how bad the first one was).
  At this point I simply cannot recommend this scope unless it was under $700 .
canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2016 at 23:33

As a clarification , when I said $700 I mean from an optical stand point. The scope was in the neighbor hood of a 700 dollar optic.

As a side not. I spoke to the importer and he will actually be visiting the factory in approximately 3 weeks. He is going to bring up my experience and try to find out what is going on/what has changed since Zeiss sold it. He said he was then going to decide whether to continue with the line or not.

canuck525 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 16:01
 Another follow up here. The dealer loaned me a 3.5-26x56 Hensoldt.
 This is the best optic I have ever looked through. Now, I am looking for a way to afford it.
 I think I should start a "go fund me" project......lol.....
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2016 at 09:28
had a look at one off these amazing piece a kitt glass wise and build wise and for the price here in the EU a steal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twLgOIq1xVg 
49GMC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49GMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 05:57
Hello all.  I'm new here, first post.  I've got another Cassidian Hensoldt QC issue unfortunately.  I'd always wanted a 6-24x72.  I noticed the "clearance sale" last november but unfortunately all they had left at that point was a 6-24x56 so I settled for that.  It arrived and was missing two hashmarks on the vertical elevation turret.  The glass was good.  When I sent it back they had received another 6-24x72 SAM FF, which they graciously allowed me to exchange for the defective 56mm.  What's another $2k right? :)

Unfortunately I was disappointed with a few features of the SAM.  Most notably the relative encoders used on the turrets.  Whenever the SAM is turned on the turrets must be spun through their entire range of travel before the adjustments are able to be displayed in the digital display.  Also the reticle illumination was so dim as to be useless at low magnification during twilight.  I've never had a FFP scope before and for my use (low light midrange white tail hunting) I don't feel that it would be a benefit.  I'd love to hear any contrary opinions!  I feel that that since I will always be using a laser range finder that the compromise between reticle visibilty at low vs high power would be detrimental.  

The SAM was advertised as a SFP so based on it being misrepresented and not being happy I asked to return it and am being allowed to do so.  They had recieved another 6-24x72 standard so I got that.  After reading the latest comments here I'm quite afraid that I'll get a dud!!!!  Wish me luck!  Feel free to ask any questions about the mythical SAM!

Thanks for a great forum!

49GMC
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 06:25
49GMC, Welcome to the OT and good luck.👍😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 06:29
Originally posted by 49GMC 49GMC wrote:

Hello all.  I'm new here, first post.  I've got another Cassidian Hensoldt QC issue unfortunately.  I'd always wanted a 6-24x72.  I noticed the "clearance sale" last november but unfortunately all they had left at that point was a 6-24x56 so I settled for that.  It arrived and was missing two hashmarks on the vertical elevation turret.  The glass was good.  When I sent it back they had received another 6-24x72 SAM FF, which they graciously allowed me to exchange for the defective 56mm.  What's another $2k right? :)

Unfortunately I was disappointed with a few features of the SAM.  Most notably the relative encoders used on the turrets.  Whenever the SAM is turned on the turrets must be spun through their entire range of travel before the adjustments are able to be displayed in the digital display.  Also the reticle illumination was so dim as to be useless at low magnification during twilight.  I've never had a FFP scope before and for my use (low light midrange white tail hunting) I don't feel that it would be a benefit.  I'd love to hear any contrary opinions!  I feel that that since I will always be using a laser range finder that the compromise between reticle visibilty at low vs high power would be detrimental.  

The SAM was advertised as a SFP so based on it being misrepresented and not being happy I asked to return it and am being allowed to do so.  They had recieved another 6-24x72 standard so I got that.  After reading the latest comments here I'm quite afraid that I'll get a dud!!!!  Wish me luck!  Feel free to ask any questions about the mythical SAM!

Thanks for a great forum!

What you got was NOT the "mythical SAM"... I've not seen the knockoffs that are obviously "out there" now, but if you paid under $10000 for a Hensoldt SAM, you got a knockoff. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic