OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hensoldt 6-24X56 vs Hensoldt 6-24X72

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hensoldt 6-24X56 vs Hensoldt 6-24X72
    Posted: September/12/2015 at 13:34
I'd like to have the 72mm variation, but I'm worried about the height of the scope. It's going on a Weatherby Mark V/338 Lapua Improved. Will the Spuhr mount (if I go that route) give enough elevation w/o looking ridiculous?
 If I settle for the 56mm version what am I sacrificing? Image quality? Elevation?
 The 56mm will save me a lot of money.

Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2015 at 15:23
The 72mm version is optimized for low light performance.  If you need/want that, it is worth the difference.  If not, there are some advantages to the 56mm version… you can get FFP, it actually has more adjustment range… other than that, there is very little difference between the two (size and weight).  Either one will be superior to just about anything else on the market.  If you need/want to save the monetary differential… go with the 56mm.  My wife bought me the Hensoldt, otherwise I would probably have chosen 56mm…
If you are considering a Spuhr mount, check out Richard Near's Alphamount or Jon Aadland's Aadland mounts.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2015 at 15:33
I can only find a 2nd FP in the 6-24X56. Also, if the literature is correct, the adjustment range is 16mils vs 20 for the 72mm version. I'm assuming that's total range.
Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2015 at 15:57
They are out there, difficult to find…
FOR SALE is a Hensoldt 6-24x56 optic with an H37 reticle, FFP. Super rare IEA detachable mount included. 

They make a 6-24x72FFP, too… but only in the SAM model… a little (way) out of my price range.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2015 at 16:25
I Bing'd your FOR SALE, but nothing showed.

11K is kinda expensive.
Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2015 at 17:33
That one already sold… almost as soon as it went up.

The SAM is an awesome optical system, but you are absolutely correct…  11K is "kinda" expensive.  
However, if any is "worth it", the SAM is… 

Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2015 at 20:11
I just found something interesting.  Page 14 of the link.
"FL in 6-24X72 Only"  This pdf says the 6-24X56 does not use the same glass. No FL in the objective.
 The Zeiss versions of the 6-24X56 and 72 both use FL glass, but not the Hendsolt 6-24X56. 
 Can anybody else confirm this?
 It also shows the Zeiss versions as having more elevation and windage than the Hensoldts which really doesn't make sense.

http://mws-reps.com/documents/2012HensoldtProducts.pdf

Edited by Scottyman - September/12/2015 at 20:34
Maine? Where's that?
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2015 at 16:01
I just ordered the Hensoldt 6-24X72.  Can't wait to play with it!
Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2015 at 20:31
I don't think you will ever regret it...

Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2015 at 16:15
How's the image in sunlight in your scope? (Sun is not in the image)
I have a lot of haze in mine even after sunset to near dark facing West. My Kahles 624i Gen 3 has none and has better detail and contrast in low light. This was shocking. Both at 24X. I expected the Hensoldt to surpass the Kahles.
I just looked inside the objective with a flashlight and noticed some smears and smudges on the inside of the lenses right in the middle. Multiple lenses are smudged. Would this cause the haze?
Also, have you noticed a lot of distortion when cranking the elevation near it's min and max? At least 50% of the image is distorted. So far, very disappointed in this scope.

Edited by Scottyman - September/18/2015 at 17:05
Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2015 at 21:17
None of your problems… never heard of such with a Hensoldt.  Never seen anything like it with any Hensoldt I've ever had my hands on.  
Suggest you contact your supplier.  Maybe you can provide pictures of what you are talking about.

Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 05:59
Here's a pic of one of the smudges. I can't get the camera to focus on the other lens that has a smudge too.
I tested the elevation again this morning. When near the lower end of the elevation travel the lower >1/3 of the image is distorted. When nearing the max elevation, the upper >1/3 is distorted.
I checked my Kahles and it has no distortion at either end. I originally was planning on selling my Kahles when I ordered the Hensoldt because of the CA, but so far the CA is nothing compared to the flaws in this scope. I'm a huge fan of Zeiss glass. This is a huge surprise and let down.
Kickboxer, You have no distortion near min/max elevation?

Edited by Scottyman - September/19/2015 at 08:12
Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 12:27
No distortion anywhere…  cleanest operation of any scope I've ever had on a rifle.  Where did you get that?  Whereever it was, I would send it back and demand replacement.

Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 16:32
EuroOptic. They have a decent return policy.
Maine? Where's that?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 16:57
Is that a new scope?

There is lots happening on that lens that does not look new.

My 3-12 exhibits none of the issues you are describing.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 17:15
Suppose to be new. Even my Kahles 624i Gen 3 gives a better image, sharper, better contrast, resolution except for CA.
Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 17:25
Looks like superglue on the lens… regardless, get a replacement.  The Kahles is close, but not equal to the Hensoldt.  

Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 18:04
There's also very noticeable distortion at 6X around the edges. Do you have this too?
Debating on an exchange or simply return and keep my Kahles.
Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 18:15
I've told you over and over, there are no distortions, aberrations,  no mechanical flaws.  The only complaint I have with it is I would prefer FFP, but I've done the math and can fairly quickly range at all powers.           
There are NO issues with my scope.  I've had hands on with most of the "Alpha" glass… have several other types… Zeiss, March, USOptics, Swarovski, Kahles, no longer have S&B, extensive use with IOR, some Leupold… NOTHING I would trade my Hensoldt for.  I will be getting another Hensoldt in the near future.  

Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 19:54
Just making sure in case you missed something. I don't know how meticulous you are with every aspect of the scope.
Maine? Where's that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic