OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Correct scope rings for a 12x42 Classic on an AR
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Correct scope rings for a 12x42 Classic on an AR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct scope rings for a 12x42 Classic on an AR
    Posted: September/10/2015 at 14:02

I just purchase an SWFA 12x42 classic and mounted it atop my Mil-spec flat top AR15 with a collapsible stock.  I got a Millet 1-piece scope mount and the scope sits really high. Luckily I have the ATI Strike force stock set so I have the riser to maintain a cheek weld, it works perfect with the check riser all the way up.  However, I just purchased an MFT Minimalist stock so I will be losing the cheek riser.  I do have the option of adding a strap on cheek weld but would prefer not to since it will interfere with the charging handle with the stock collapsed.

So, my question is, what are the correct height rings to use in order to get the scope lowest to the barrel, be able to have a cheek weld, and still be able to maintain good eye relief (if the scope is to low I can't get my eye low enough on the stock to see through the scope).

I was thinking of getting a set of medium or high rings but need to know if the high are to high or if the medium are to low.  Another option is to get a lower 1-piece mount but don't have the money to purchase an expensive one.

This question is directed mostly to SWFA staff but if anyone else has mounted on of these on an AR I am curious what did you use.

Thanks in advance.

Stay cool  Cool

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2015 at 14:17
Get a mount that is designed to be used with an AR.

There are lots of options.

Bobro, America Defense, SWFA SSALT, LaRue, Burris PEPR.  Traditional rings just don't work well in most cases scoping ARs. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2015 at 14:59
Can you post a picture in the Millett setup?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 19:22
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Get a mount that is designed to be used with an AR.

There are lots of options.

Bobro, America Defense, SWFA SSALT, LaRue, Burris PEPR.  Traditional rings just don't work well in most cases scoping ARs. 

I couldn't agree more. They "work", but once you go with an AR mount, you never go back. IMHO
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
GunsIsFuns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 21:21

The reason I want rings instead of a 1 piece AR mount is because of weight. I am trying to keep this rifle as light as possible.  It weights 7.2lbs without accessories, I  am going to upgrade a few parts that should take it under 7lbs, 6.76lbs by my calculations (that's pretty light for a 20" fluted barrel IMO).

After a little practice, I figured out how to get  good cheek hold with the riser down so I should be ok with the new stock.  However, I think the scope is pretty high and I don't know if this will cause a problem since the scope is so far off the barrel axis.  I figured out medium height rings should do the trick while low rings might be to low.  I guess I should just measure it since I would benefit from the scope being as close to the barrel as possible.  I will be adding a reflex sight at a 45* angle and, depending on where I put it, the extra height might help. I might just buy a few sets of cheap rings to test them out. Once I figure out which works best I will get a legit brand. 

And FYI, this cope is excellent. I am very happy with this glass.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2015 at 18:04

Can anyone else that has a flat top AR, a hand-guard with no top rail, and a SWFA 10x, 12x, 16x, or another 30mm x42 scope, let me know what they are using for rings/mount.  Pictures, price and where you bought it would be helpful.

Thanks.Cool

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2015 at 19:33
You do want uour scope about that high on an ar. On a traditional rifle the comb of the stock drops below the bore of a rifle so mounting it low is best. On an ar the comb of the stock is inline with the barrel, so to get proper eye alignment you need to be higher. 3 to 3.5 inches above the bore is typically where most ar mounts will put you.

I habe several pics i will post later that will hopefully help with your search
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 08:00
I am going to disagree and say that scope is absurdly high. The mount appears to have a channel for iron sights, so the scope has to sit high enough to provide a view under.
My go-to mount for ARs is the American Defense Recon mount. I also have the Aadmount, but it is a bit heavier.

I don't have an SS 10X on anything at the moment, but will get a pic of my SS3-9 for mount height comparison.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 08:46
Images quality is bad, but you get the idea.

No issues with cheek weld on either.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 09:35
I don't think they are iron sight holes, just weight reduction/appearance holes.  It is not near high enough for that.  It is not much higher than a bobro mount.  I think just looks funny because it is so small on the clamp area.  If you compare the height of the eye piece to these pics you can see they are pretty close.

Regular rings on a riser

SWFA SSALT mount, Bushnell 4200

SWFA SSALT with Burris 42mm scope

Edited by supertool73 - September/14/2015 at 10:08

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 15:52

The holes are not high enough for iron sights.  I do believe the height was designed for fold down sights but I feel like I could fit 2 under there (folded), and I am not planning on any BUPS (back up polymer sights, lol).  I am close to putting my jaw bone on the stock right now unless I raise the cheek rest.  I should be getting my new stock in this afternoon and we will see how things line up.  I am anticipating about the same but who know.  Those American defense look like they would work well for what I am doing, I plan on adding a 45* offset reflex sight mounted from the scope.  I do understand about having the scope too low as I previously had a Bushnell Elite 3200 with rings and if I had the riser attached it would be difficult to get a good sight picture, even worse with the cheek riser up.

Thanks for al this, it is very helpful.  Especially the pictures.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 20:46
Looks too high to me.

The 18" I show now has an RMR on 45 degree offset, good setup.

I choke down pretty good, I guess.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2015 at 18:47

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The 18" I show now has an RMR on 45 degree offset, good setup.

What is your set up?

There are 3 good ways I see to do this: (links for clarification)

- Use a 45* offset mount adaptor 

http://www.competitor.com/gg-g-45-degree-offset-red-dot-rail-mount.html

- Use a scope ring adaptor with rail, connects the red dot to your scope

http://www.amazon.com/Ade-Advanced-Adapter-Picatinny-universal/dp/B00GH5G78G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442533365&sr=8-1&keywords=30mm+scope+ring+adaptor+with+picatinny+rail

- Mount to a rail on your hand-guard at a 45 deg. offset (I have a ALG EMR 1 and could easily add a rail at 45*, or anywhere, on my hand guard to attach a reflex, this would give some nice eye relief.  Not sure if it would interfere with my grip though)

Like this guy but a reflex instead, or maybe a PA red dot. http://olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/M4_reddot45degree_7176web.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2015 at 19:44

I replaced the ATI Strike-Force with a MTF Minimalist and I have to say I like the MTF a lot more for this application.  There is a noticeable difference in weight and balance.  You would think the balance would be worse making it front heavy, but it actually got better because it lightened the entire rifle and it seems to rest better into my shoulder. 

I have to rest my jaw bone on the stock but it works good because I don't have to cant my head as much.

SO now I do believe this mount is to high.  I am waiting for a set of Leopold medium height rings and we will see how those work.  For $12 why not try it.  If those don't work out I am going to get a Euro Precision Ultra light mount.

Here is a picture that shows how high these are, my hands are average size.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2015 at 21:09
I will try to get a pic of the current setup. It is an offset RMR on a trijicon offset rail mount.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2015 at 12:10

I got the medium height rings in the mail Friday and it seams like the height would have worked for eye relief and the Objective lens cleared because I have no rail on the hand-guard, however, the ocular lens is to large and the rear ring will not seat on the rail.  I got vertical split rings.  If I had gotten horizontal split the back of the scope would not seat in the ring. I think, with this set up, there might be some scope with smaller ocular lenses that it would work but not the SWFA SS scopes.

On an up note, I purchase a Aero Precision Ultra Light Mount. Excellent   Can't wait to get it in. Yippee  know it will be an improvement.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2015 at 12:23

So I think the Bushnell Elite I first got would have worked since it was a X40 and 1inch tube.

On a side note, I am really impressed with the MTF stock.  The only odd thing is it is ridiculously tight on the buffer tube and I wonder if ATI screwed up and put a commercial set in a Mil-spec box.  But the MFT seams to be loosening and I hope after a month it will be smooth.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2015 at 14:11
After doing a little research I believe Leopold mislabeled these as medium height.  They are closer to other brands low profile rings than any other medium rings.  So it is possible medium profile rings from another brand might work but if you have a front rail I would for sure get a set of high profile if you want to put rings on your AR.

Link of the Leopold's I got. http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1362188575/leupold-rifleman-vertical-split-rings-weaver-style-medium?cm_vc=ProductFinding&cm_mmc=ps_bing-_-bing-_-OP_Scope_Rings,_Bases,_and_Mounting_Accessories_Beta_B-_-leupold+vertical+split+rings

One note about the Millet, I have seen it around for $60+- online, at that price this mount is not a good value.  I purchased it at Wally World for $30, if your on a budget or don't want to spend 100++, for $30 it is a great value even though it sits a little high. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2015 at 14:50
Just going to throw this out there. If you would just buy a good quality mount like the ones i listed above you could be done with this and have what u need. swfa and burris both make mounts in the $60ish range that would do all u need.

Buying $12 rings and honestly expecting them properly hold a sighting system to a rifle that has forward and rearword recoil impulse is not likely to work out well for u.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2015 at 16:27

Originally posted by GunsIsFuns GunsIsFuns wrote:

On an up note, I purchase a Aero Precision Ultralight Mount. Excellent   Can't wait to get it in. Yippee  know it will be an improvement.

And I don't mind having the extra scope rings around.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic