OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Price Fixing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Price Fixing?
    Posted: July/31/2006 at 05:33
Gentlemen,

I have reacently been looking to purchase a Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 LRT (Fine Duplex) for a .300 Remington Ultra buildup I am doing. I have noticed that while trying to "price shop" for this scope that EVERYWHERE I look it's $849.99 without exemption. I am talking probably 20 dealers online with the exact same prices. I am certianly under the impression that Leupold is fixing prices on their scopes, or at least mandating to the retailers what they must sell them for. Isn't this illegial?? 

I have seen them on Gunbroker from one specific individual who is selling this exact same scope for $750 NIB. He also has a good record. How does he get away with it an nobody else does? The only reason I don't snatch it up is because he is in Texas like myself and with sales tax and shipping I would end up paying just about the same if not more.

Does anyone know of any place where Leupolds are a little cheaper? I looked on the sample list and unfortunatly they don't have the exact one i'm looking for either.

Thoughts, opinions?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2006 at 08:34

I have worked for a few years selling things with a low margins.  Should the dealers pay you to take the scope?   If the company charges a fixed amount for the product and the dealer sets a minimum margin requirement that is not price fixing.  The companies who sell these things have a right to expect a return on thier invested capital. That means thier fixed and variable expences, cost of capital and a return great enought to justify something other than bank certificate of deposit use of capitial.  In short these guys have feed not only thier families, but pay the taxes and the loans too.  The fact that they can do that, have fun doing something they like and make money at, is why this is a great country and people around the world are trying to get in.

BTW should you find the scope cheaper someplace else, you should check these guys price matching policy!  They also have some of the best customer service I have ever encountered.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Waffen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2006 at 08:39
I certianly don't fault any business owner trying to make a living and put food on the table, and sustain his business, however you must consider that this is also a free market. If a consumer can find a reputible seller with a lower price, why not go with him?

I think SWFA is a GREAT company. I've solicited business for them for 4 total scopes that I know of from friends at work. I would just have a hard time paying an extra $72 in sales tax to help him have food on his table. I have to have food on mine as well!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic