OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommendation for rings/base (Seekins)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation for rings/base (Seekins)
    Posted: August/31/2015 at 14:55
I just ordered a Burris XTR II 34mm 5-25x SCR MOA scope and will be putting it on a Rem 700 .308 rifle (specifically this one: Remington Model 700 5R Series - 85201).  I'm pretty sure I have decided to get Seekins rings and a base, but I need help choosing which size.  I'm not going to be doing any crazy distance shooting (maybe up to 300 yards) so I believe I would be ok with just getting the 0 moa base.  What would be the ring size I need?  I'm guessing either Low or High, but wanted other opinions. 

Thanks!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 15:07
Medium on a Picatinny rail. Lows "might" work, but mediums will work. Plenty of "up" in that scope for the shooting you specified. Zero rail will be fine.  

Seekins are killer good quality. Good call. I LOVE mine. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
zeeter82 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 15:11
Thanks glad to be here :)

I believe the Seekins "high" is technically a medium correct?  Looking on their site I see .92" Low and 1" High.  I don't really see a "medium" listed for the 34mm rings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 15:31

Ah so.....34mm might get away with "lows". I forgot that you mentioned 34mm and not 30mm. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 15:32
Are you planning on using a stock pack or cheek riser? 
zeeter82 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 15:44
Nope, not planning on it.
zeeter82 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 15:54
Maybe I could just go ahead and get the 20moa base and the "lows".  Would that work?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 16:09
on my stiller tac .308 with a 30mm tube 50mm objective I use Seekins medium high, and there is just a bit of room after I added scope caps. 

With 34mm tube, I bet you will be fine with lows as well. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 16:11
You are going to need a cheek piece of some sort.  My cousin has that same rifle with a SWFA SS 5-20x and Seekins rings and he had to add a Karsten cheek piece, he had to add a lot of height to get a proper cheek weld.

You can see how much I have to add to get things right. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 16:11
Man, that's sexy!  
zeeter82 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 19:13
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

on my stiller tac .308 with a 30mm tube 50mm objective I use Seekins medium high, and there is just a bit of room after I added scope caps. 

With 34mm tube, I bet you will be fine with lows as well. 

Nice setup :)

So with 34mm rings....I should be ok with the "low" and 20moa base?

I will add cheek riser later if needed....but I do agree, you are probably right that I will need one for proper alignment.
zeeter82 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 19:14
I do still want to be able to add scope caps.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 21:26
34 mm tube will put u two mm higher than 30 mm tube. Is your objective 50mm?

zeeter82 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 23:34
Yes it has 50mm objective.
zeeter82 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2015 at 14:11
So am I ok proceedign with the 34mm low rings and the 20moa base?  I would like the ability to use the scope caps.  If to play it safe I need to go with the high rings, please let me know.  Thanks!

I will worry about the cheek riser later (but yes this will probably be needed).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2015 at 17:03
I think so. You could always contact Seekins directly to make sure, if you'd like. That way you would know for sure.  
zeeter82 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2015 at 11:23
Ok thanks again!  I'll try to contact Seekins and see what they recommend.  I just got my Burris in yesterday :)

Good lord that scope is huge haha!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic