OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Linux / Ubuntu O.S.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linux / Ubuntu O.S.
    Posted: August/27/2015 at 10:35
Can anybody fill me in (or provide details) regarding this? It's all new to me.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 11:25
Both are free open source operating systems similar to Windows/Mac OS without the fancy GUIs.  Here are a couple links that might be useful:

Anything in particular you want to know?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 16:03
Thanks Marine! I've been puter shopping and these folks (System76 out of Denver) were pushing their desktop unit with the Ubuntu O.S. I didn't know much about it. Some folks love it, but it's probably not what I need. My SIL is pushing for me to get an iMac. I will be looking closely at them.... along with the miriad of Windows PC choices. I appreciate the links you posted. Maintain with dignity.
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 16:06
Ric, I have a Dell right now along with an iphone and ipad next puter will be Apple.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 16:40
Problem with both of them is compatibility with all the other programs you use on a day to day basis.  It is possible they may be just fine for your needs.  But then again maybe not.  Most people that use those OS's also have Windows or Mac machines to use. 

If you are just wanting to tinker and learn, you could get a Windows machine then install the Hyper V role and install a Linux or Ubuntu virtual machine.  Then you could have all three to play with.   

I built an Ubuntu storage server once.  It worked but then I bought Windows Home Server 2011 for $50 and it done way more things that were useful to me, I much preferred the Windows.  Then I got copies of Windows Server 2012 from Microsoft Dream spark because I was taking classes and they are amazing. 

Usually those opensource OS's will have a higher learning curve as well.  That is probably because everyone is use to Windows, but it is still a big change.   

Windows 8.1 is the best Windows OS yet in my opinion, I like it a lot.  I have a little time with Windows 10 but not enough to form a good opinion. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 17:19
I just installed Ubuntu desktop and am on in right now as I type this.  It looks pretty nice, I will have to play with it over the next while.  Don't know that I will like it better than windows, but still fun to play with.

Mostly sitting idle it is using 4.5 gigs of memory.  That quite a bit for not doing anything.  If you get one, I would get one with 16 gigs of memory

Edited by supertool73 - August/27/2015 at 17:24
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 17:49
I've used openSUSE on a few machines mainly because the Linux voip servers I've installed run SUSE. It's a nice option as well, there's actually quite a few free Linux OS choices out there. I haven't played with Ubuntu myself but from I've heard in the past it was feature rich.

ST, I've been running windows 10 since it's release on two machines at home (one is real old) and so far I like it a lot, need to play with the OS more when I have time. My only gripe so far is Ghost 15 doesn't work properly, licensing issues.  Cussing

Edited by mike650 - August/27/2015 at 17:55
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 18:02
Ric,
Don't listen to me this other stuff has me bewildered!
Holy dooooo dooooo!
🐖
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2015 at 07:21
Thanks for the reply's everybody. I stopped by a local computer sales / repair store yesterday and talked to the tech / owner. He said he repairs hundreds of Windows PC's every year but only a handful of Macs. I asked him what he uses at home...............................................................i.Mac. Go figure.
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic