OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some advice on buying a Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthFLHunting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some advice on buying a Scope
    Posted: August/26/2015 at 14:49
I am looking to buy a scope for my .270. I live and hunt mostly in South Florida. I want something that I can use both for Deer & Hogs. I don't plan on shooting out past 150 yards but when out hog hunting I might need to take closer shots in thick brush. What magnification would be best for this? Would I be able to have the best of both worlds? I don't want to spend more than $400.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 15:22
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

A Leupold VX-R 3-9x or 2-7x maybe?  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SouthFLHunting View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthFLHunting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 16:44
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Here is where I was not sure. Will 3-9 be too much for the thicker areas? Will 2-7 not be enough when out to 150 yards?

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthFLHunting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 16:46
Originally posted by SouthFLHunting SouthFLHunting wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Here is where I was not sure. Will 3-9 be too much for the thicker areas? Will 2-7 not be enough when out to 150 yards?

Which one will have a better balance to accomplish both requirements?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 16:55
Yes, the 2-7x would be great. I just recommended the VX-R 3-9x because I have one. 

Either way, I'd go with the Firedot #4 reticle. I have the Firedot Duplex which works very well for me, but the #4 is superior for lower light and in brush. IMO. 
(Not that you hunt in heavy vegetation in South Florida.) Wink
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 17:03
Welcome to the OT SouthFLHunting! Mark's recommendation of the VXR with the #4 is solid. Either variant will work great. If your max ranges are around 150 yards, you don't need a lot of magnification. If you could save a bit more (or watch the Samplelist here) a Trijicon Accupoint would also be nifty. Good luck.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 17:21
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 17:45
I've done some hunting down there. 7x is plenty for 150 yards. Most such shots would probably taken without taking it off 2x. I wouldn't got over 2.5x on the low end. A heavy, thick reticle (or illuminated if it works for you) is a necessity.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthFLHunting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 05:47
Thanks everyone for you're replies. I am going to go with the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm. Now I am not sure if to get the Ballistic FireDot or FireDot #4. For What I want to use it will the Ballistic FireDot be too much?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 06:06
For your stated intentions, the Firedot #4 would be ideal. The Firedot is a fantastic illumination system in it's own right and the thicker post's of the vaunted German #4 will help in the brush, IMO. 

The ballistic Firedot is more suited for open terrain and longer shots than what you described. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthFLHunting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 06:23

For your stated intentions, the Firedot #4 would be ideal. The Firedot is a fantastic illumination system in it's own right and the thicker post's of the vaunted German #4 will help in the brush, IMO. 

The ballistic Firedot is more suited for open terrain and longer shots than what you described. 

Thanks for you're reply. The last thing I need is a good mount and rings. This is going on a Weatherby Vanguard S2. Any suggestions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 06:34
Not sure which action you have, but these are all the rage these days. I LOVE 'EM. 

Ring and mount all in one. $40 and your done. You'll need the lows, or even the extra lows. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 06:39
I'd also recommend popping some coin for the Alumina covers that Leupold offers. They are the best flip up covers I've ever used. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 06:43
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthFLHunting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 06:51

Not sure which action you have, but these are all the rage these days. I LOVE 'EM. 

Ring and mount all in one. $40 and your done. You'll need the lows, or even the extra lows. 

This will be for a bolt action

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 07:37
Right. I'm just not familiar with Weatherby actions, Vanguards and their differences, if any. You could call Talley and ask them directly, if your so inclined. Super nice folks down there. South Carolinian's, naturally. 

p29150 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p29150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2015 at 00:23
Does anyone know anything about the Bushnell E3950? I know it is suppose to be a newer Elite model but wondering how it compares to the old 3200 series which is the new 3500 series now? looking to get a new scope and those both are in the price range. any help would be greatly appreciated
Mark Vick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Vick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2015 at 16:50
Scope is very important thing in hunter equipment. I am found the best one for myself.  In my opinion, a hight  quality scope affect the result. I hope that you will find the best one for youself. Good luck!

(Attempted/failed link to competitor deleted)

Edited by Kickboxer - September/24/2015 at 18:15
Hunting is my love

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2015 at 16:55
What are you trying to link, Sir? I pray it's not a link to another optics competitor, because that would be a violation of our rules here. 

Welcome to Optics Talk.  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2015 at 16:58
Its a link to ATN optics homepage. So not breaking rules, but his second post linking to ATN. Probably works for them and is trying to get the name out
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic