OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NIGHTFORCE SHV OR BURRIS XTR11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIGHTFORCE SHV OR BURRIS XTR11
    Posted: August/26/2015 at 12:05

which has the best glass seen the shv glass was very good even on full mag and its made in japan. not seen the burris ..heard its made in the phillippines 

Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 08:03
XTR-II for me
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 13:59
are you talking from experience Yippee
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 15:45
Ernie is very very experienced.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 16:53
Originally posted by verminator verminator wrote:

are you talking from experience Yippee

Yes, I use both the 5-25 XTR-II (SCR MOA Reticle) and the 8-40 XTR-II with their F-Class reticle
Ernie

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 17:39
have you done a back to back with the xtr11 and shv on low and full magHowdy
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 18:05
Verminator,
I have no dea what you mean but if you don't believe Erine you can't believe anyone,
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 19:41

have you done a back to back with the xtr11 and shv on low and full magHowdy

No.
Ernie

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 21:21
SHV is fairly new. Finding a head-to-head might be a challenge.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 22:43
V,
A newcomer (Bryan/MK19) to my yearly LR steel and pd shoot for handguns of all kinds (WY-SHOT) used my rear-grip 6XC that has the 8-40 XTR-II on it.  He shot this SP all three days of the shoot.  There is a video of him shooting further than he had ever attempted - 960 yards.  On the SP forum a similar question was asked (S-III Sightron was also a part of the comparison) and this was his response on August 1st on the specialty pistol forum.

"Now I'm a optics nerd and I spent many years on the sales side of the sporting optics business so I have some strong opinions on optics, hopefully this will not be biased in any way.
If your looking for a full feature scope it would be hard to beat the XTR II for the money. Awesome 1/8th MOA adjustments, extremely clear optics and an incredible reticle make for a true winner. I spent some time behind a 8-40X56 at WY-Shot and I really fell in love with the scope, I have never been much of a Burris fan but this XTR II really won me over. The glass was so clear that I did not have to increase the power above 8X during the competition allowing me to engage the next target much faster and the reticle really helped with with adjusting for the wind, my next long range build will have this scope installed.
The Sightron is a great scope with incredible glass, my only issue comes down to the adjustments as they are not as quick as the XTR II, but for known distance shooting or bench shooting this would be my pick.
I have not been happy with the Nightforce SHV series, the glass quality on the one sample I looked over was not up to the quality I have seen in the BR or NSX series and I feel that it falls behind the quality of both the Sightron and XTR II. I would compare the SHV directly with the Vortex PST series and in that end up buying the PST due to the value of the scope. Now this was a early production sample SHV that I looked at so it may have been improved, but I will stand behind my statement until I see another sample."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD03Aqo_XfI&list=FLfEoqqK-q7iARmKwk742NZg&index=6
I hope this gives you some more information in your search for what you are looking for.
Ernie

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2015 at 04:57

I tried a 5-20x56 shv against a sightron s111 5=24x50 and glass quality wise it was much better the sightron got milky at high mags. the shv did not and colours were more procise  3 off us thought the shv was the clear winner as far as glass was concerned..maybe we had a good example..a friend has a nxs and we all thought the shv glass was on par. the sightron we had was made in the Philippine's and the shv japan

Edited by verminator - August/30/2015 at 17:24
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2015 at 15:45
Sightron does not make a 5-24x56.   Which scope were you looking at?

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2015 at 17:24
I stand corrected 5-24X50 Big Grin
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2015 at 18:38

I stand corrected 5-24X50 Big Grin

6-24x50, then.

As you go to higher magnifications, exit pupil size becomes pretty important.  If you compare the SHV at 20x to the Sightron at 24x, the exit pupil is 2.8mm vs 2.083mm.  That is an 80% difference in area.

If you look at the comparable models between SHV and S3, the S3 generally has a touch more resolution, while the SHV has a touch more contrast.

With SHV being a bit more expensive, the S3 is holding it own fairly well.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 12:11
we all came to the same conclusion the shv glass wise was better...the milkiness in the s3 after 12mag seemed to get worse with a increase in magnification this affected the res and contrast..the shv exhibited none off this. and they were both set at 20mag 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 12:14
Send your S3 back to Sightron.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 12:51
luckily its not my scope or it would have gone back...mate sent it me to try whos a dealer  in the uk. I do note he's told me some sightrons are jap made and better optically than the one's  made in the philippines
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 13:24
All S3, S2 Big Sky and SV scopes from Sightron are made in Japan.

S1, S2 and S-Tac are made in the Phillipines (S2 started out in Japan, but was moved over a few years ago, once S2 Big Sky took off).

I have seen a lot of Sightron scopes and I have never seen an S3 that got milky past 12x.

The only scope that exhibited something like that from Sightron was an early production Japan-made 10x42 that turned up to have a QC problem: second lens in the objective was placed in incorrectly.

ILya
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 13:39
Ditto
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

All S3, S2 Big Sky and SV scopes from Sightron are made in Japan.

S1, S2 and S-Tac are made in the Phillipines (S2 started out in Japan, but was moved over a few years ago, once S2 Big Sky took off).

I have seen a lot of Sightron scopes and I have never seen an S3 that got milky past 12x.

The only scope that exhibited something like that from Sightron was an early production Japan-made 10x42 that turned up to have a QC problem: second lens in the objective was placed in incorrectly.

ILya
Ernie

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 15:00
this was def  philippino and a s3..written on the underside could have sent pics but gone back now
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic