OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Another ATV thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another ATV thread
    Posted: August/23/2015 at 22:42
My wife has decided she wants an ATV of her own. She Likes My Rincon but wants a 2 up ride so the grand kids can ride safely.  Honda doesn't have any that are two up. We found a 2015 Sportsman 570 EP that we like. The placement of the back hand hold makes it better for her to mount with her bad leg. The only thing holding me back is there are a lot of bad reviews out there about the 570 exhaust heat being excessive on the seat and legs. This problem has not been addressed over the past 4 years by Polaris. Many people post that Polaris is weak on customer service. Not something I want to put up with. Now the question is, besides the Can-Am Outlander XT are there any better choices that will be reliable?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 00:28
Habe you comsidered a side by side? Honda has the 500 pioneer. And they you have the 50" polaris and 50" arctic cats.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 00:38
Arctic cat has a 2 up atv as well.
I will say one thing about polaris if u choose one. Plan on it having more issues. Thats just part of owning a polaris. Between my dad and i we have owned 10 honda atvs, 3 yamaha atvs and two polaris side by sides. We had more repairs on the two polaris's than all the others combined. Polaris makes amazing machines, but they just have more issues than the metric brand machines.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 10:06
The wife does not want a side by side. Because of her leg limited movement, she thinks it is easier to get on a the 4 wheeler. Around here Arctic Cat is a Bass Pro exclusive. Only one place to get it worked on. Not sure I want to be over that barrel.

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 10:54
I looked at a number of different ATV's in 2011 and ended up with a Can-Am Outlander 650 XT Max. I have had only two issues with it. A bad ignition switch and a torn CV boot, the dealer covered both under warranty. I liked the idea of being able to switch between a single and two up. And those who have ridden with me comment on how secure and comfortable the back seat is. Plus it had power steering, I can ride all day and not feel beat up. If I had to purchase another ATV I would get the same thing in a heart beat.

I was looking at a Polaris initially, but after going through the shop and seeing the by far majority there were Polaris's. Plus one dealer's comment that they love Polaris's, they keep our repair shop busy. That sealed the deal for me. But when they work they are very nice. But I want to ride and not trailer to the dealer to have it worked on.

I would add one thing this is my personal preferrence, YMMV. Kind of like the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.

Edited by Sparky - August/24/2015 at 11:18
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 11:05

Visit the Ed Show
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 17:04
There is no "universal truth" in ATVs. "Your mileage may vary" definitely applies here. For every person who loves their given ATV, someone else reports lots of problems with it. Name any brand and model of ATV, and there are both negative aspects to it and folks who have had bad experiences with it. If you read enough internet testimonials, you'll find no shortage of people who report issues with any brand/model.

It's almost a given that machines with higher degree of mechanical complexity and radical design changes from year to year will typically have more problems and involve more expense to maintain long-term. That's the tradeoff you have to make. If you get a big bore, twin cylinder, full independent suspension machine with automatic AWD engagement, all the latest gadgets, gizmos, and loaded electro-mechanically controlled features, chances are high that you'll have more problems. For example, a full independent suspension AWD machine involves 8 CV joints, multiple drivetrain universal joints, and a more complicated suspension system with extra moving parts and more lubrication points than a machine with a solid rear axle. That's the tradeoff you make for more ground clearance and a smoother ride. If you get a machine with an automatic traction sensing front diff lock, and downhill engine braking... more complexity still.

Overall, Polaris machines are probably less reliable across the board, but a lot of that has to do with the reasons above: they make radical changes to their lineup and even to existing models frequently. They take more chances in the displacement wars and with new design features than other manufacturers. Their machines are usually more complicated mechanically. They have full independent suspension across the board. Their super plush suspension involves a more complicated design with more moving parts than other brands. They have auto front diff locker systems. They stuff large engines into relatively small spaces. Until recently, their front storage compartment required the radiator to be positioned lower than with other brands, which means the cooling fins can get plugged with mud easier and cause overheating.

If you get a mature design like the Sportsman 500-ish stuff, they tend to be reliable. I've had great reliability with my Sportsman 850 XP. Prior to that, my Sportsman 800 had issues, but it was the first year model of the series. Never buy the first year of any model. Usually it takes a year or two for the manufacturer to work out all the bugs of a new design. Again, that's part of the problem with Polaris -- they make so many changes so often that usually half their lineup is always "new." The Japanese brands tend to be more conservative and are slower to make design changes to proven models.

I have several buddies who own Polaris machines, and most have had good luck with them. I've owned one Polaris that was problematic, another that has been flawless. I have friends with pretty much every brand of ATV you can name, and some have been reliable, others not so much. Among my hunting buddies, the least "reliable" machine happens to be a Honda Rancher, even though Hondas in general have probably the best reputation for reliability. Go figure. My brother has another Rancher and hasn't had any significant issues, but he doesn't ride his much. Two other buddies have had significant electrical and drivetrain issues with Kawasakis -- one a Mule, the other a Teryx. Another buddy has had fuel system problems with his Suzuki King Quad. The most reliable machines among my circle of friends thus far is a buddy's Yamaha Grizzly 600 (which rides like a tractor, though), and my 2010 Polaris 850 XP (though I've only had mine since 2012).

I believe how you use the machine (driving aggressiveness, how much you ride in deep mud, the type of terrain you ride in, how hard you work it, etc.) and how well you maintain it has as much influence on dependability as the design itself. Take care of most machines, and they will probably give you good service. Avoid hard core jumping, mudding, etc, and stuff will fail less.

If reliability is most important to you, I'd recommend getting a Honda or Yamaha and certain Kawi and Suzuki models. Despite Honda's excellent reputation for reliability, I don't care for them as much, because they don't have a front locker and their low gear is too steep for pulling heavy loads. They also tend to have less ground clearance. I also don't care for the push-button shifting. I prever a CVT transmission. I'm willing to give up some potential reliability to have true AWD and more pulling power.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 20:54
Alot of it is because they dont use proper parts on the machines. Example they used the same axles on the 800 rzr as on the 500 atv. One reason early rzrs broke so many axles. Polris does stuff like that often.

Then u have simple things like bolts just falling out. Every time we went on a ride i head to head to the store afterward to buy $5 and $8 bolts that had fallen out. The 6 month warrenty speaks volumes.

I really like polaris's but they are just maintainance pits for sure.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 21:01
I liked the design and layout of the Sportsman 570 sp Touring. Don't want the risk of a fire if the gas tank boils over. This will be my wife's machine. Yet it would be my fault.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 21:26
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

This will be my wife's machine. Yet it would be my fault.

Haha aint that the truth. The yamaha griz 700 boil the gas too. I was shocked why i heard a funny noise and discovered what it was. I called the dealership right then on the trail about it. They told me that was normal on them. Still think its crazy

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2015 at 08:35
May be normal but not safe. Vaporized gas is very explosive.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 06:04
Amen to that, Lile....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 09:28
Living in TX, I ride a lot in 3-digit temps in the summer, have been to several ATV trail rides with hundreds of people, and have seen a lot of different machine brands overheat from plugged radiator fins from mudding and riding in heavy dust. I used to be a member of an active ATV forum for several years before it shut down. In all that ATV'ing activity, I've never seen or heard of boiling gas in any ATV of any brand and wasn't aware this was an issue.

I think maybe "boiling" is being confused with fuel vapor lock. Vapor lock is the opposite of boiling, as the former is at low pressure and low temp and the latter at high pressure and temp. When you open the gas cap, you are seeing the sudden change in tank pressure and the fuel bubbles as a result. Gasoline can vapor lock at 100 deg F. This is most commonly an issue with engines with carburetors and remote fuel pumps. Fuel injection and fuel pumps inside the tank have mostly eliminated or at least reduced the vapor lock issue.

It's nothing to worry about.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 10:00
I am pretty sure the griz boils. When u take the gas cap off, you can see the gas just a bubbling. We have two of them and have seen it on both of them. The gas tank is literally sitting ontop of the motor more so than our hondas. It is somewhat under the seat

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 18:42
During fuel draw, the inside of the tank becomes negative pressure. Remember in your high school physics class when you take a glass of water, put it inside a vacuum chamber, and once you pull a vacuum inside the chamber, the water starts to bubble and "boil" ...despite the H2O being at room temp? The same is happening in the fuel tank. Under less than atmospheric pressure, the fuel bubbles. When you open the cap, it's still bubbling until the pressure equalizes again. You could stick your finger in the gas in the tank and it would not burn you, because it isn't hot. That's vapor lock, not boiling from high temp. If it was boiling from high temp, it would be too hazardous to ride, the tank would burst, and Yamaha would have litigation out the you-know-what.

It's perfectly safe.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 19:05
What it can do, however, is starve the engine of fuel. The solution is better fuel system venting, combined with the fuel pump located inside the tank so the pump and tank are at the same pressure. I believe the fuel injected Grizzes already have the fuel pump in the tank.

Increased temps can increase vapor lock, but keep in mind gasoline has high volatility, so its "boiling point" is low -- 100 deg F. The fuel will therefore start bubbling in the tank if you leave it in the hot summer sun long enough, even with the engine turned off. Just the nature of the beast with gasoline. Again, the problem is worse with carbureted engines than fuel injected engines. Most ATVs now besides the low end machines are going to fuel injection.

Again, it isn't an unsafe condition. Still, it's not a good idea to open the gas cap immediately after riding a lot on a hot summer day, as some gas can spray out. 

The solution to vapor lock is proper fuel system venting, fuel injection, fuel pump located inside the gas tank, and low ambient temps. Just keep the cap on the fuel tank while the machine is hot, and you're perfectly safe, even though severe vapor lock can cause issues with fuel flow and lean out your engine.
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 19:11
My wife, a few days ago, said "we need to get an ATV".  I've really not given it much thought.  Ted, you had some good thoughts.  Bottom line… I want performance (includes all the things you mentioned), reliability, expandability (tractor-type attachments available), and moderate cost.  One machine, what do you suggest?  I'm not looking for the best looking, don't care nearly as much about high-end performance as low-end to mid-range, auto/manual shift, power enough to handle "farm chores", good climb.
Thank you...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 19:47
I gotta go meet up with my bride for dinner out, so I will have to respond back to you in greater detail later when I have more time.

First, a few questions:
How much are you willing to spend?
Realistically, what kind of terrain will you ride in/on most -- (rocks, mud, gentle trails, mixed technical but not too technical, very technical rugged...)?
How important are "luxury features" like power steering (they have it on ATVs now), automatic front locking diff, extra storage compartments, etc. to you?
Would you rather have a stiffer suspension for more "feel" for the terrain/ less rocking on winding turns, or a more plush suspension so you don't pass kidney stones on rough terrain?
Do you prefer a single seat ATV, a "2-up" standard ATV, or a side by side UTV (more like a large golf cart or dune buggy than "traditional" 4-wheeler)?
You more interested in a "working," more utility ATV or a more nimble, "sportier" ATV (with less towing and payload capacity?) On the same question, how important is its ability to haul or pull stuff to you?
Which is more important to you: extreme reliability or comfortable ride and additional ground clearance (less complicated suspension and drive train is always a bit more reliable, but not as smooth riding)?

Gotta go now. Will continue later.
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 20:07
Good questions… 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 20:48
These were the questions I was using in my choices. I finally chose the atv that appeared to fit the bill. Now being between year changes none in the color that my wife wants are available. There is the one that Stillwater brought up from Lewisville TX. They failed to mention that it had 25 hours and almost 200 miles on it. Or that the rear fender was cracked and the back bumper had a big bend it it. Since this was being offered as a new machine  I asked them to fix it with the warranty. I was told because of the hours it would not have a warranty. They got mad when I walked away. Go figure. Loco  Luckily I got the credit card with the deposit canceled before deposit charge hit. Smile
    My experiences are that there are a lot of dealers out there that make shady used car salesmen look squeaky clean. Finding a good, Reliable, dealer is the most important and difficult step. Buy what you need and not what is left over on the lot.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic