OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MOUNTING RAILS ALUM. VS STEEL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRAZY LYNDALL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MOUNTING RAILS ALUM. VS STEEL
    Posted: July/29/2006 at 22:30

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME FEED BACK ON MOUNTING SYSTEMS STEEL AND ALUM. PROS AND CONS OF EACH, LETS HEAR FROM THE PROS THAT USE THIS STUFF EVERYDAY.

AN ARMED WORLD IS A POLITE WORLD !
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2006 at 18:56

I use Talley Light Weight One piece aluminum on my hunting rifles with no problems.

Badger and Leupold started making aluminum tactical mounts recently and many are sold to the military.  I think it depends on what brand you are considering and what strength of aluminum they are made out of.  IE:  I would not use Weaver brand aluminum bases on anything but would use Badger or Leupold Mark 4.

Avoid aluminum if you will be removing and reinstalling often as it tends to wear.

CRAZY LYNDALL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRAZY LYNDALL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2006 at 23:02

THANKS FOR THE REPLY.......

HAVE A GREAT DAY

AN ARMED WORLD IS A POLITE WORLD !
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2006 at 17:15

This conversation comes up quite a bit, so here's our latest reponse to help out with the debate:

TPS has been asked by some customers to respond to the Aluminum vs Steel debate on the bases.

As most know, the debate regarding the aluminum vs. steel debate has been going on since about the first lawn chair hit the sandy beach in Florida.

We fully recognize, understand and appreciate the hardcore and die-hard folks who wish to have real steel on their sticks. About half of our company's employee's have the same point of view. However, the reality of the application of the two materials is not so cut and dry. When you get into comparing strength differences between aluminum alloys and steel alloys, it's like comparing apples to bananas. The thermal coefficients of expansion are different as well, which has nothing to do with the strength, which has already been pointed out.

The strength (the part that truly matters) of the 7075-T651 Aluminum Alloy is far stronger than is even remotely necessary for the application that it has been tasked to accomplish in this discussion. TPS has and is in the process of having another independent testing done of it's 7075 Aluminum rings and bases done again. The first testing, done last year for customer contract requirements, involved our TSR 30mm (30580) 7075 Aluminum alloy rings. Our rings withstood a whooping 25,000 G's before failure. Even at such numbers of G-Force's, they still didn't catastrophically fail, only the clamps gave out.

As for the thermal problems of a rifle heating up Un-proportiantly to the steel, TPS doesn't see that as an issue with rings and bases. If the bases were mounted directly onto the barrel, there may be a reason for concern, however in most circumstances the temperature increase on the receiver of a turnbolt rifle is so insignificant, that it would be almost undetectable in the mount. Even if the base was steel, mounted directly to a barrel which was being fired and consequently thermally heated from firing, the base would not heat evenly with the barrel. Because the mount would be exposed to un-proportiant amount of airflow, the mount would continue to be lower in temperature than the barrel. The transfer of heat between the barrel and the rail itself would be also different, due to the inability for the two similar metal to bond together at a molecular state.

All in all, as always, it makes some darn good discussions around the firepit, but in actual practice, only one thing really matters. Complete your mission and come home safe.

nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2006 at 16:54
What about the issue of the different thermal expansion coefficients affecting zero between a hot zero of 100deg F and maybe a cold hunting day of -20 F?  Is this possibly an issue?  Does your zero shift more or less with aluminum or steel?  I thought steel was more temperature stable, but scope tubes are al and this doesn't seem to be an issue or we would all be dropping $3000 on steel scopes!!! 
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2006 at 17:04

That is why you have your data book and should be writing down or noting your cold bore shot's..

That would have to do with your barrel and not the type of material your rings and bases are made of.

Even for say it was a issue- by noting your cold bore shots by temp, humid, weather, etc.  You will know what your dope should be set on.

We at TPS don't see it as a issue...  I had my rifle out this year and in all temp's and my zero didn't change much at all.  The only time and I was still in the bull,  I made a one click right, which it has 1/4 clicks.. 

We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2006 at 12:00
Yea, that is the hard part about proving this theory out.  There are just too many other parts with hot/cold movement.  The log book of course covers all those into one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic