OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cooper One-Shot Competition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooper One-Shot Competition
    Posted: August/22/2015 at 20:39
I competed in the 19th annual Cooper Firearms One-Shot competition last month and I wanted to put in a plug for Cooper Firearms.  I'm very happy with my new-to-me Cooper 6mm PPC.  

For those not familiar with it, the Cooper One-Shot competition allows only one shot at a 1/4 inch dot placed on an original oil painting at 150 yards.  The competition is held at a range near Hamilton, MT not far from the small Cooper "factory" in Stevensville.  They put paper pasters over the target area on the painting for each shooter so everyone has a clean shot and the score is measured on the shooter's paster rather than the bullet hole in the painting itself.  The shooter coming closest to the dot wins the painting and the two closest shooters for each painting (there were 7 paintings with 5 or 6 shooters per painting) advance to a second round, again with one shot - this time at a paper target.  The best shot in the second round wins the grand prize - a new Cooper rifle.  You have to be shooting a Cooper and more or less typical bench rest rules apply except you only get one shot and no sighters.  It's Cooper's 25th anniversary so it was kind of special this year.  There were about 40 shooters from all over the country.

Here's a link:

Nobody likes a show-off but I'll share a few photos of this years competition.

Here are the paintings before the shoot.  You can see the target circles drawn on each painting.

The grand prize was the beautiful Cooper 25th anniversary limited edition .223 in the back - only 25 were produced (mucho $$$$.)  The front rifle is a raffle prize.

After the morning sight-in, there were some money shoots where shooters pay $10 to take one shot at each of two targets per round.  The closest shooter in each round gets the pot.  I won some cash in two of the rounds I entered.  These money shoots allow you to get familiar with the range conditions and different bench positions before the painting shoot.  Here's a shot during a money shoot.  The kid in the foreground was being coached by his dad and ended up winning a painting in some pretty stiff competition.
[img width=640 height=480]http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/DSC01547_zpsq2bls7es.jpg[/img]

A few of the rifles.

Here are a few shots of the set up for the painting shoot.  
From the bench, a 1/4" dot looks pretty small at 150 yards.

After the match, Cooper sponsors a great dinner (huge steaks and crab legs with drinks) at the historic Marcus Daly mansion in Hamilton.  Marcus Daly was one of the Butte "Copper Kings" in it's heyday.  Hugo Vivero, Cooper CEO, announces the days winners.

Here's a shot of my new painting.   ;D ;D ;D

Close-up of the bullet holes in the painting.  

Here's a shot of my paster target from the painting shot (top) and my rifle shoot target from the second round (bottom).  I was closest on my painting and just a bit off (third closest I was told) in the second-round rifle shoot.

This is a fun and unique competition with great participants and sponsored by an exceptional company. I can't say enough good things about Cooper.  If you don't already have a Cooper, get one.   [thumbsup]

Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2015 at 23:30

Thank you for showing this.

Tight groups are nice but hitting the target is better.

I have noticed that it is very difficult to show success without appearing to be a "show-off", any how I enjoyed looking at all of this.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2015 at 05:08
๐Ÿ‘. ๐Ÿ‘Œ
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2015 at 09:20
Hey,

That is my range!

Nice write up!

I am taking a Cooper model 52 to that range this afternoon.
-Matt
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2015 at 10:32
Yo Matt,

Pics, caliber?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2015 at 10:56
Wonderful! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2015 at 11:03

Great story, great pictures, looks like great fun.  Love the concept.

Great shooting, BTW...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 15:56
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Yo Matt,

Pics, caliber?

Well Skip, 

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread...

but its a Model 52 in 7mm Rem Mag:

-Matt
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2015 at 17:31
Thanks Matt, in no way did I mean to usurp mOOn's post
which is in itself is๐Ÿ‘Œ.

mOOn, it's great shooting and a very nice post.

Don't stop there, keep up the great work.

And keep posting!

m00n View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2015 at 14:10
Well, the smoke from the wildland fires has cleared around here for a while and I can finally see my computer screen again.  Thanks for the kind comments and I never have any objection to threadjacking - makes for a livelier conversation.

Matt, have you ever entered the competition?  You'd have a pretty good advantage at your home home range.  Some pretty tricky winds there.  Rules say any Cooper any caliber.  I entered for the first time last year using with my 204 repeater game rifle and factory ammo.  Here are some of the rifles from last year- I was seriously out-gunned . 

I was only hoping to get lucky with one shot without embarrassing myself.  Good shooters always seem to end up in the second round but there's the chance at that random lucky shot for the rest of us.  I ended up about 3/4 in. high on my target painting last year, just a hair outside of moving on to the rifle shoot.  At least I didn't embarrass myself and I had so much fun that I wanted to do it again.

Win or lose, it's a fun time and the swag alone is almost worth the entry fee.  Cooper also makes sure that a shop tech is available to make any adjustments or repairs to participants rifles before and during the competition. 

I needed a minor fix to my bolt release pin this year and they took great care of me.  Here are a couple shots of finished stocks I saw during my visit to the shop.

That was a stunning piece of English walnut in the foreground.  Beautiful match of the wood grain to the shape of the stock.  Here's a shot of the other side.

There was another beauty in Bubinga (very heavy) but I didn't get a photo.

I have no affiliation with Cooper (I wish I did), but it feels good to showcase an example of exceptional company.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2015 at 14:23
Fabulous wood, I'd be afraid to take out of the house.

chinarider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 17:54
sounds like a good time for all Big Grin
still searching for that perfect note
8/27/72 comes very close
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic