OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

burris xtr ii scr vs bushnel dmr g2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longshot98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: burris xtr ii scr vs bushnel dmr g2
    Posted: August/16/2015 at 13:34
Hi, I'm new here and i am looking for suggestions on these two optics. The Burris xtr ii scr mil 3-15 or 4-20 vs bushnel 3.5-21 dmr g2. burris 4-20= 26.6 mil, burris 3-15= 32 mil, bushnel 3.5-21= 34 mil. I have heard very little comparing the glass, but i am guessing that the bushnel has a little better. As far as features go, I am relitivly happy with both, although I might give the burris a slight edge. Also, if there are any other rifle scopes that i have missed in the above $700 below $1200 range, I am very open to suggestions.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2015 at 13:55
The Burris has more features. Like illumination, 10mil revs, and zero stop The dmr/hdmr have no zero stop, only 5 mil revs but has locking turrets. If you step up to the ERS.model it has 10 mil revs and a zero stop. Glass on the Bushnell is OK. The reticle is very nice. The Bushnell elite tactical series have been proven to be a great product by the PRS community, durable, and tracks very very well. The Burris xtrii line is still relatively new, but shows promise.
What purpose are you gonna use it for? Hunting, range plinker long range shooting precision?
If you can find a dmr on sale around 1k. I think that would be the way to go. I'm not a big fan of the Bushnell in general but their elite tactical line is a good product. I've used the dmr and did like it.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2015 at 15:21
I would take a look at this. It would be my choice.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx
longshot98 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longshot98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2015 at 20:26
Yes, I looked at the swfa ss 3-15 for a long time, and I have a fixed 12x on one of my set ups. OverAll I was happy with it, but the glass was t anything to impressive, and I not in love with the turrets and reticle. If it had illumination, and/or zero stop I would maybe go that route, but from the sounds of it, there is some much better glass quality for a few dollars more. I still may go that route, but it's on the lower end of my scale right now.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2015 at 21:08
I ran the bushy for awhile, really didn't like the glass. Compared to good stuff, it was just okay.

I haven't played with the Burris.

Comparing the fixed 12X SS to the 3-15 SS is like comparing apples to riding lawn mowers - which is to say, it will not be an especially informative comparison. I have run the 3-15, glass is quite good for the price, tracking is spot on, the turrets aren't my favorite, but the scope costs a fraction of what my favorite turrets go for.

I have said many times - and will continue to say - better glass trumps more magnification every time. Every time! Don't look just at the max mag, he'll, Tasco makes a few 24X optics; tracking matters most (usually) and glass quality really helps.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 10:03
how does the nightforce shv  compare glass wise to the 2 above its a jap scope and I found the glass to be very good considering the price Yippee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 10:38
I have not looked through the SHV but hear the glass is the same between SHV and NXS.  That said, glass quality has never been Nightforce's claim to fame.

Comparing NXS glass to Bushy, I liked the NF better, but that is probably largely due to 3-15 not having any issues but the Bushy at 21X not being a pleasant view at all.  With the Bushy at 21X, I always wanted to clean the glass, even when it was clean.

I would guess the SHV is SFP, keep that in mind.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 12:43
I have never been impressed with Burris customer service, or Bushnell's either. But the bushy has a rock solid reputation for tracking. So does every nightforce, but the SHV is only offered with MOA reticles and knobs. If that isn't an issue I would choose the nightforce.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 13:10
Several years ago I bought a Bushnell with a "money back guarantee."  I used the guarantee, got a check in several weeks.  They tried to talk me out of it, I flatly rejected all options other than money, so eventually they sent me the money.
That is the extent of my interaction with Bushnell customer service.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 08:05
Of those mentioned...XTR-II
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longshot98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 08:18
I am really leaning towards the Burris in 3-15, and also considering the swfa line of 3-15 again. I was not aware that there was much of a jump between the glass quality of the ss fixed x and their 3-15. If the bushels glass quality is really that low at 21x, then that lowers my interest. That being said, that also lowers my expectations of the Burris 4-20 glass. I think a 3-15 is a solid magnification range, and I think these are both very solid scopes. As far as nightforce goes, I don't have the money to get a ffp, which I think is absalutly nessicerry, and I think I like the features better on the Burris. The swfa still has my eye with the price, tracking, ruggedness, clarity, and company. Money is somewhat of an issue for me, so I am really trying to keep this rifle on a budget. Keep the comments coming guys, it's great!
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 09:14
I have a 5-25 and the 8-40 XTR-II, and I am very satisfied that I am getting the best bang for the buck with these scopes.  I have one on a long throated 300 RUM shooting 230 Hybrids and the other is on a 6XC
Ernie

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 16:43
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I have never been impressed with Burris customer service...

I wouldn't know. I never could get anybody to pick up a phone there or return an email.......
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2015 at 17:01
I have used (Don't own the SHV) in field conditions at distance.
I own two XTR-II's and will have a third at some point FWIW.
Originally posted by verminator verminator wrote:

how does the nightforce shv  compare glass wise to the 2 above its a jap scope and I found the glass to be very good considering the price Yippee
Ernie

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longshot98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2015 at 13:39
Does anyone have any comparison for the swfa 3-15 clarity vs burris xtr ii 3-15? I guess I might as well through the weaver tactical 3-15 in the bunch as well, it meats my criteria at a lower price than the burris, with more features than the swfa. The only problem I have with the weaver, is I've heard of some issues with its ruggedness. I think I'm having a harder time deciding each time i think about it!Whatever
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2015 at 14:01
Sorry - Not played with any of those
Ernie

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longshot98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 20:31
Well, I am a little scattered, I got a chance to look through a bushnell elite tac dmr w/g2, and I have to say, WOW! I was very impressed!!! I thought the glass looked sharper than the nightforce shv!!!! I am still considering swfa, and the Burris, but I think I might be sold unless someone can talk me out of it!! I would love to see burris's glass, but it seems to be a "hard to find scope".
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2015 at 22:32
The Burris glass is nice. I have not compared it side by side to anything but i own some nice quality scopes, swaro, trijicon, leupold vx3, swfa hd, bushnell 4200. And i can say the xtr ii's i have tested out looked very good.

The knobs are sweet too. A little tight, but i bet they will lossen up with a bit of use. While the 2.5-10x claims a 10 mil knob. Its only 8 mil. 3-15x or better to get the 10 mil knob. I called Burris on that and they said there website was wrong as well as info they had sent out to dealers. So just and fyi if a 10x is on your list
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic