OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scopes for Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scopes for Rifles
    Posted: August/09/2015 at 17:29
I have three rifles, i am looking at putting optics on them.

LMT AR15 - 16" Barrel

LMT AR10 MWS 308 - 18" Barrel

Desert Tactical SRS - 338 Lapua - 26" Barrel.

What optics should I put on them?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 17:56
Budget? Applications/Distances? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
hidoa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 20:45
$5K for all three scopes.
Distances would be
AR15 - Short to Medium
AR10 - Short to Long
SRS 338 - Medium to Long
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2015 at 11:20
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2015 at 11:47
This is an interesting question because it is not clear which one is the most important and it is also not clear which constitutes medium range for you.

When I was going through this exact decision process, I decided that on a lightweight AR-15 I have I want to have some magnification available.  I practice with this gun and routinely shoot out to a few hundred yards.

I ended up putting Elcan Spectre OS 4x on it with 45 deg offset iron sight for close range.  I found that to be the fastest combination for me.  Another option would be to have a secondary red dot, which also worked well.  This is my SHTF gun, so I wasn't going to compromise on this one.  This whole sighting system can be had for $1500 to $1800.

With the AR-10, my engagement range is not all that much longer, so a similar combination would also work.  In a perfect world, I would put Minox ZP8 1-8x24 on it, but that is outside my budget and likely yours as well.

What I did was sort of a "poor man's 1x/10x": I took a SWFA 10x42HD riflescope and mounted a Meopta Meosight III red dot on it at a 45 deg angle via a TPS CORA ring.  That combination runs right around $1200, I think.

That having been said, a friend of mine just bought a LMT MWS in 308 and since he does not have a 1x requirement, I put a Burris XTR II 2-10x42 on it.  It is a very nice scope for about $1k and I am frankly a little surprised by how good it is for the money both in terms of the features and their execution.

Either way, that leaves you with about $2k for a long range scope.

Oddly enough,  my primary long range rifle is a first gen DTA SRS with a 338LM barrel.  This rifle has seen just about every scope mounted on it.  At the moment, I have a first gen Steiner Military 4-16x50 on it and it is a good match.  That having been said,  if you plan to do ELR or something along those lines, a 5-25x56 or similar is not a bad idea.  I would take a very close look at Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56.  The Steiner T5Xi had a bit of a rough start, but it looks like they have worked out their issues.  The one I am looking at is very good.

If you can stretch your budget for this scope a little, for around $2500 Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 is very good.

If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, the first Gen Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 went down in price since the Gen 2 came out and can be had for $1500 to $1700.  That is an excellent deal on an excellent scope.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2015 at 14:28
As Stork already mentioned, an Aimpoint Micro is an awesome optic for 10 feet out to 300 yards. 
Along with the fine suggestions by The Dark Lord, of course.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2015 at 16:31
I woudl put a 1-4x or 1-6x on the AR-15.  The Trijicon accupoint and SWFA SS are pretty nice. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic