OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

quality, lightweight, FFP scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quality, lightweight, FFP scope
    Posted: July/30/2015 at 10:18
I've been searching for a lightweight (under 15 oz) scope with a FFP ballistic reticle.  All of the ones that I have found; ie Horus, Burris, SWFA, etc; are all heavy and 30mm tubes.  Is there such a thing as a lightweight FFP scope?

Targetman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2015 at 10:27
I should also add that I would like to have a 3x9x40 or something similiar.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2015 at 10:40
I wouldnt really consider them ..... heavy.... more of welterweight.for a tactical style scope. Razor II now thats heavy. But in general most the scopes in your power range with the FFP mil,moa, bdc reticles are gonna be in the 20-25 oz range. 
SS3-9 is 19oz
Vortex 2.5-10x32 is the lightest FFP  i know of in that power range.  its 18.7oz
The Leupold Vx-r is 15.3, but its not ffp

What your wanting is more in the Hunting scope weight range.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2015 at 10:57
What are you looking to do with this type of scope and what kind of firearm?
In a 3-9x40 FFP, it is hard to beat the SS. I wouldn't put it on my M7 but it isn't at all over bearing on my short action sporter M700.
Doug
Targetman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2015 at 12:59
I am building an ultralight .308 Win that will weigh in at 5.33 lbs without scope.  It will primarily be used for high country whitetails and mule deer and hopefully a sheep hunt or two.  On my custom .300 WM I have a Horus Hunter 3-12x50 (30mm tube) with H425 reticle and absolutely love the scope, I really prefer the FFP reticle.  The problem with another Horus is that it weighs 24 ozs.  If I can find a suitable FFP scope at 15 ozs or less, then my entire .308 Win package will be 6.25 lbs. 

Right now the lightest FFP scope I have found is the SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 that weighs 19 ozs.

But I really want the scope to be under 15...I just want what I want because I want it! hehe
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2015 at 13:53
If you are looking for a lightweight scope, your options with FFP are very slim.  The lightest is probably PFI RR800-1 3-9x42, which is no longer made, I think.  It weighed right around 17 ounces and was a well made Japanese scope.

ILya
Targetman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2015 at 10:47
Koshkin,
I found a PFI RR800-1 3-9x42 NIB for $600...do you remember what the retail was on these?

Thanks, Jed
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2015 at 12:01
I wrote an article that included the RR800 a while back:

And at the time, the price was $650, per the ocmparison table in it.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic