OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Some Info about this Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoseff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Info about this Binoculars
    Posted: July/29/2015 at 14:19
Hi
This is my first post, and so are this my first binoculars.
I bought this Iris 10x - 30x 50mm and did not found any info about them.
They need some work and in a few days, after learn a bit more about what can and canot be done, i plan to fully disassemble them and clean them well.

Here are some photos of them

I would appreciate any info you could give me about them and if i can get a servicing manual or something like that for it, would be a great help also.

I see its not common to have that "zoom" 10x - 30x also. Is that good, or not?

I discovered it have some type of glue inside the barrels where the colored lenses are. Is that for collect the dust?

Is it ok to fully disassemble and wash the lenses and prisms with water and some gentle soap?

Did not found any website from them. Are they old , or any other reason to nonexistent web presence? Or i just did not found it?

Thanks in advance for the help Smile 
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2015 at 15:31
yoseff,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that thing is not worth the effort to try and fix.   It is very cheap, as in cheap,  not inexpensive, just cheap.

Zoom binoculars are not offered in any kind of a decent binocular.  There is a reason for that.  There is simply no way to keep the inner workings properly aligned during full magnification range.

Let you know what you can spend and we can give you some help.  Nobody here will recommend you get a zoom.

That glue you see will keep you or anybody else from fixing that.  It is likely there to glue the prisms in place so they can't be removed or realigned.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

yoseff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoseff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2015 at 16:02
Thanks Klamath
You know that brand?
It does not seems all that cheap... Well, for the price i did pay (second hand), i can easily double my money Big Grin - It was 6€ Cannot go wrong for that value Yippee

Anyway here is some more pictures showing where is the glue (definitely not to glue the prism)

It is in the wall of that barrel and is a bit like the glue to catch flies.

The prism is here

The zoom system is there and one can use or not. At 10x seems fine to me, but after 20x, really things do not work well - you are right :)

To take out the lenses i unscrew this?

For the money i paid, i think it worth to disassemble and give a good clean. 

To be honest it will be for occasional use, so no need for now to spend a lot.

From what i tested, they are not too bad, but they do need some clean.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2015 at 19:52
http://www.bigbinoculars.com/nozooms.htm

If you wish to take them apart, you certainly are free to do that Big Smile.  We all need to learn things for ourselves.  DO NOT be surprised if they are worse after "cleaning".  I can take apart many porro prism binoculars and do many repair items myself.  But I would not waste my time there.  Maybe you can figure them out, maybe not.  As I see it you have nothing much to loose.  Cleaning is likely only a small issue here.

The different lens coatings is a dead give away "CHEAP" signal.

Good luck Big Smile
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic