OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I need a couple scope recommendations....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryantato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a couple scope recommendations....
    Posted: July/25/2015 at 09:02
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a couple of Winchester Model 70's.  A .270 and a .375 H&H mag.  The .270 has a sweet williams peep site that i love, but im thinking i would eventually like to put a scope on it.

What are some good general use hunting scopes for these?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2015 at 11:29
Welcome to the OT forums! There are MANY good / great choices on scopes. Much depends on your usage factors (terrain, distances, type of hunting, game pursued, etc.), you likes and / desires (reticle selection, FFP vs. SFP, weight, etc.) and your budget. Set some parameters and the great folks on here will offer some suggestions.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2015 at 13:11
Everything B&B said and welcome to Optics Talk. 

I'm enamored with the .375 Holland & Holland of late.....
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ryantato View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryantato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2015 at 13:09
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Hmmm, well I think the .270 is kinda perfect the way it is for deer in dense forrest so lets forget about that one.

And the .375....I guess one day ill go big game hunting in Africa or Alaska to hunt grizzly.  Or maybe moose.  Lighter the better.  Not sure about or SFP.  Also not sure about reticle.  Im kinda new to scopes and hunting in general.  I also dont have a budget.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2015 at 13:18
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2015 at 14:36
Without a budget, it is sorta hard to make a concrete recommendation.

Still, I'll give it a shot.

For 375H&H, I would be going with one of the many excellent low range variable scopes out there.
Something along the lines of 1-5x24 or 1-6x24 or somewhere along those lines.

If properly configured, at 1x it is faster than iron sights and almost as fast as a red dot, while 4 to 6x, you can get good precision.

Price ranges vary wildly with these designs, so you get a lot to choose from and that is where you need to figure out price range.

In order of increasing price: 

I would start with Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20.  It is pretty light weight and quick to deploy.  #4 reticle with illuminated dot is a good option. ~$550

Leica ER5 1-5x24 promises to be very good, but it is new, so I have little experience with it. ~$750

Sightron S3 1-7x24 with illuminated #4 reticle is a surprisingly nice design.  I am currently testing the tactical version of this scope and it is really quite nice.  At 7x, it gives me a lot of reach. ~$850

Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 with an illuminated reticle is very good. ~$1000

Minox ZEi 1-5x24 is absolutely world class from what I have seen, it is a step up in price though. ~$1400

Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24.  I tested this scope and thought it was just stunning. ~$1400.  

ILya

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2015 at 15:52
Of Koshkin's list, I would really like the Meopta. On the whole, the 1-6 Trijicon would be tough to beat. For s hunting rig, I have said often, the illumination with no "on" switch and no batteries is great.

I came back from hunting in Africa and immediately bought a 375, for next time. Mine is. Not yet scoped, but will wear a 1-6 of some sort, probable the Meopta or Trijicon
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2015 at 16:31
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Of Koshkin's list, I would really like the Meopta. On the whole, the 1-6 Trijicon would be tough to beat. For s hunting rig, I have said often, the illumination with no "on" switch and no batteries is great.

I came back from hunting in Africa and immediately bought a 375, for next time. Mine is. Not yet scoped, but will wear a 1-6 of some sort, probable the Meopta or Trijicon

If you can live with a little more weight the Razor Gen II 1-6x24 also makes a really good match for a 375.  At 1x, it is very fast to use as long as you are careful with setting up the eyepiece.

I compared the Razor Gen II 1-6x24 to the Meopta R2 1-6x24 and they are not that far off.  FOV is a little wider on the Vortex.  Resolution is about the same and contrast is a touch better on the Meopta.

They use different illumination technologies, but both work well even in brightest light.

ILya
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2015 at 14:29
Appreciate your thoughts on this.
I don't usually deal with this magnification range.
E
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Without a budget, it is sorta hard to make a concrete recommendation.

Still, I'll give it a shot.

For 375H&H, I would be going with one of the many excellent low range variable scopes out there.
Something along the lines of 1-5x24 or 1-6x24 or somewhere along those lines.

If properly configured, at 1x it is faster than iron sights and almost as fast as a red dot, while 4 to 6x, you can get good precision.

Price ranges vary wildly with these designs, so you get a lot to choose from and that is where you need to figure out price range.

In order of increasing price: 

I would start with Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20.  It is pretty light weight and quick to deploy.  #4 reticle with illuminated dot is a good option. ~$550

Leica ER5 1-5x24 promises to be very good, but it is new, so I have little experience with it. ~$750

Sightron S3 1-7x24 with illuminated #4 reticle is a surprisingly nice design.  I am currently testing the tactical version of this scope and it is really quite nice.  At 7x, it gives me a lot of reach. ~$850

Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 with an illuminated reticle is very good. ~$1000

Minox ZEi 1-5x24 is absolutely world class from what I have seen, it is a step up in price though. ~$1400

Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24.  I tested this scope and thought it was just stunning. ~$1400.  

ILya

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2015 at 14:44
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

Appreciate your thoughts on this.
I don't usually deal with this magnification range.
E

Thanks, Earnie.  Ihav ealways liked low range variables and lately have been sorta re-discovering what you can do with low magnification scopes.

It is definitely on the way to go for ultra precision or ultra low light, but as general purpose scopes, these compact design have a lot going for them.

For example, I have comfortably used SWFA's SS 1-6x24 on metal plates out to 600 yards with minimal fuss.

Ditto with the Sightron S2 1-7x24, although their Mil hash reticle is not my favourite.

Even in low light, there have a lot to recommend themselves if the reticle is done right.

ILya
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2015 at 14:53
Agreed.
I recently used a 22" 6XC with Quad-Sticks (seated-no sling or back rest) and was consistently hitting out to 820 yards using a NF 2.5-10x32mm scope.
This past Saturday was shooting groups with several being sub MOA at 500 yards with a custom Ruger GP-100 and a 2.5-8 Leupold handgun long eye relief scope.
Curious if you know off hand which of the scopes you listed had the longest eye relief at it's highest magnification?

Ernie

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2015 at 15:02
I went a different route and purchased a Leica ERi 2.5-10x42 for my CZ550 in 375 H&H.  My objective wasn't a DGR but more for elk hunting shooting 235gr Barnes TTSX bullets.

Low light performance and a little more magnification for shots out to 300 yards was desired.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2015 at 15:02
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

Agreed.
I recently used a 22" 6XC with Quad-Sticks (seated-no sling or back rest) and was consistently hitting out to 820 yards using a NF 2.5-10x32mm scope.
This past Saturday was shooting groups with several being sub MOA at 500 yards with a custom Ruger GP-100 and a 2.5-8 Leupold handgun long eye relief scope.
Curious if you know off hand which of the scopes you listed had the longest eye relief at it's highest magnification?

I am not sure which has the longest since the perception of eye relief depends on the size of the eyepiece.  Here is a table I plan to use with the article:

Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24

SWFA SS 1-6x24

Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 1-6x24

March Tactical 1-8x24

March Tactical 1-10x24

Length, in

Weight, oz

Main Tube Diameter

30mm

30mm

30mm

30mm

30mm

Eye Relief, in

3.4 - 3.9

3.86 - 3.38

FOV, ft@1000yards

111.3 - 18.6

95 - 15.9

115.2 - 20.5

105.8 - 13.08

17.44 @ 6x

105.8 - 10.47

Exit Pupil

11 - 4

Click Value

0.15 mrad

0.1 mrad

0.2 mrad

0.1 mrad

0.1 mrad

Adjustment per turn

10 mrad

20 mrad

10 mrad

10 mrad

Adjustment range

84 mrad

35 mrad

43 mrad

56 mrad

50 mrad

Zero Stop

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

Reticle Location

SFP

FFP

SFP

FFP

SFP

Price

$1400

$1000

$1400

$2720

$2600

Minox ZEi, if memory serves me right is at 3.5" like many Euro scopes.

Sightorn S3 1-7x24 is right around 4", I think.

Generally, for long eye relief applications I use Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32 which has 6" of eye relief.

After talking to you about single shot pistols, I am still planning to put one together and outfit it with this scope.  Kenton makes custom turrets for it, so I can set it up for distance shooting.

For now, I have a milsurp application where it works well.

ILya
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2015 at 15:20
Looking for a rifle scope for my revolver for LR shooting...Trying to discover what would have the best eye relief/internal MOA (it takes a lot when shooting out to 500 yards or so), good reticle, etc...
Ernie

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2015 at 15:40
That would take a lot of adjustment range.  Likely more than the Bushnell has.  

How much drop at 500 yards are you dealing with?

I would guess for conventional revolver magnum cartridges you are looking at 60 - 70 MOA of drop (or about 20mrad for those of us who are MOA-challenged, like me).

That would be pushing it for nearly any scope intended for hunting.  Tactical-oriented designs, however, can usually handle it without any issues.  

For a distance like that, I assume you want to dial elevation and hold for wind, so at a minimum you are looking at an exposed elevation turret and a reticle with hashmarks on the horizontal stadia line.

I the capped turrets on the Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x24, but they are not marked as well as I would like for fast adjustment.

Burris XTR II 1.5-8x24 with careful scope mounting would work.  The turret is pretty good and I like the reticle.

Of course, if your budget can handle a March scope, either a 1-8x24FFP or 1-10x24SFP would work well.

With all that, I just can't help but think how much easier this would be with a scope that has 6" to 8" of eyerelief...

ILya

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2015 at 15:43
ryantato,
Sorry for the off-topic rabbit trail-Apologies.
Ilya,
I will start a different thread, so I don't distract from this one anymore than I already have
Ernie

ryantato View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryantato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2015 at 13:03
Such great info here!  Thank you so much guys.  I really appreciate it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic