OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ED50 vs PF-65ED vs PF-80ED vs ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurence243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ED50 vs PF-65ED vs PF-80ED vs ?
    Posted: July/20/2015 at 21:06
I'm looking to get my first real spotting scope. I'll be using it for long range shooting (goal is consistent hits on a 12" plate at 1km for now), hunting, and general wildlife viewing. I am going to school to be a game warden (28 years old but I'm getting there!) and would like something I can use in that field as well, everything from stalking poachers to counting herds.

I'd like to spend $1000 or less. Certainly less than $1500.

The ED50 seems to offer great optics in a very small, light package. I do everything I can to save weight, though if I were carrying the scope in the field I'd likely be carrying a light weight rifle or no rifle. That said, it would pack much better on my motorcycle and in my light weight hiking rig. Eyepiece is made in Japan, but the body is made in China (bleh). Is there a fixed eyepiece I could use?

The PF-65ED II seems to have mostly great reviews but I've read about a potential issue with them breaking in the middle and a well respected birder has said it is vastly over rated. I am leaning toward buying it body only with either an XW14 or XW10 eyepiece. One benefit is I could use this eyepiece on a PF-80ED if I purchased one of those in the future.

The PF-80ED offers the best optics, and doesn't cost too much more than the 65. Not sure which eyepiece to get, maybe an XW14 (45X equivalent)? Weight and size are a potential issue because my primary transportation is a motorcycle, the smaller scopes would fit much more comfortably. I am tempted by this scope for the investment factor of its top notch optics.

Anything else to consider ?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Laurence243 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurence243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 00:11
Also considering a Leopold 12-40x60 Golden Ring HD, and adding a mil reticle later.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2015 at 16:55
I would suggest you also consider the Opticron MM3 50 mm. Optically my favorite of the 50 mm scopes and the dual focus is a nice bonus. Easier to find a variety of eyepieces in comparison to the Nikon.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=301361

Frank
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 07:20
I do own, the PF-80ed, its big and heavy, but the only real complaint is eye relief sucks, but great glass. I wear glasses sometimes, and I normally take them off to get closer to the eyepiece  because of the short eye relief.

You should also consider the vortex lines http://swfa.com/Razor-HD-C1769.aspx espically if your traveling on a motorcycle,  bad things happen, and vortex warranty would cover any accidents.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 09:01
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

I do own, the PF-80ed, its big and heavy, but the only real complaint is eye relief sucks, but great glass. I wear glasses sometimes, and I normally take them off to get closer to the eyepiece  because of the short eye relief.

You should also consider the vortex lines http://swfa.com/Razor-HD-C1769.aspx espically if your traveling on a motorcycle,  bad things happen, and vortex warranty would cover any accidents.

+1

I too own the PF 80EDA and agree with the above statement. The short eye relief and the weight don't bother me as I only use it at the range. I also own the Nikon 50ED and am very pleased with it as well. And it is the spotting scope I generally take with me to the range. If I had to replace my 50mm spotter I would go with the Vortex Razor HD though. To me the glass is very close, I liked the dual focus and it is less expensive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic