OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

G19 slide tricking out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G19 slide tricking out
    Posted: July/16/2015 at 08:15
In april I got to go shoot a guardian long range competition. While I was there I won a gift certificate to jcsguns in Texas. So, I emailed back and forth with johnny trying to decide on what I would like to have done. well I found out he did slide work. So I sent my G19 slide off and  johnny has been  working on it and texting me pictures of the progress. I'm truly amazed on how this slide looks now. it is better than I hoped it would be and it looks down right wicked. johnny is a great guy to work with and really great and communicating on what is taking place with the guns sent to him for work so, if you get a chance send johnny something to work on. I promise you wont be disappointed.
 Here are the pic's johnny sent me during the work on the slide.

jcsguns

johnnyscustomgun@aol.com

Johnny you-tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClIkF9Vn6rfWTBi74ZPnunA

http://www.guardianlongrange.com/
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 09:58
Wow, LOTS of weight off the slide.

What is the primary purpose of this gun?

Was this done for functional reasons or because it looks badass?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 10:26
This one is for my suppressor demos and my personal carry/shooting.

I'm not sure of any advantage to heat distortion or effectiveness of weight reduction, but it dose look wicked. It was mainly done for looks.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 10:44
We've started doing the slide machining in our shop as well. Right now, we basically mimic the design used by Zev on their Glock slides, and we machine the rear to accept a direct-mount Trijicon RMR. If anyone is interested in having their slides tricked out, we can do virtually any design you can envision as long as it's possible with conventional machining with end mills and as long as it doesn't remove so much steel that it structurally compromises the slide, making the gun unsafe. After machining, we have the slide coated with "QPQ" salt bath nitride, which is basically the same as the OEM Glock finish.

I don't currently have a sample to take a photo of, but here's a graphic rendering from Solidworks of what we did recently to a Glock 35 slide:

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 10:55
I'm just a dumb concrete finisher, but I'm a little surprised that there's no ill effects from the reduction of weight of the slide. 
Can you compensate for less weight by increasing or decreasing the spring pressure? Or is this even an issue? Bucky  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 10:56
A rifle bedding pillar!!

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 11:02
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I'm just a dumb concrete finisher, but I'm a little surprised that there's no ill effects from the reduction of weight of the slide. 
Can you compensate for less weight by increasing or decreasing the spring pressure? Or is this even an issue? Bucky  

you can, but with a suppressor it should have a little more back pressure than standard. even with out a suppressor you shouldn't need to lighten the spring to make it function correctly, if anything might need to make it heaver to slow the slide down from slapping all the way back and bottoming the main spring out. I haven't messed with any like this yet so it "might" be a learning curve. I do want to swap the trigger out to a zev or another after market trigger.,

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 11:14
It's not an issue with this level of material removal, and there's no need to replace the stock dual recoil springs, although it does increase slide speed a little. Some of that is offset by the addition of the RMR, however. Mainly, it shifts the slide mass CG rearward. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know. Competition shooters have been lightening slides for some time. With less reciprocating mass, it reduces muzzle dip as the slide returns to battery and supposedly increases target acquisition speed. I don't know how much truth there is to this in practical use, but that's the claim.

Mainly it just looks cool and reduces a little bit of weight.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 12:48
Lightened slides are faster slides.  So long as the slide doesn't speed up so much that it moves faster than the magazine spring can feed it ammo, all should be well.

To my untrained eye, that looks like considerable material removed.

Lightening with an RMR does move CG back and away from the muzzle, which can increase muzzle flip.  A suppressor will offset that completely - and then some!

It looks badass, no question.  Just be sure it functions well without mods if this is to be a carry gun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 15:56
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Lightened slides are faster slides.  So long as the slide doesn't speed up so much that it moves faster than the magazine spring can feed it ammo, all should be well.

To my untrained eye, that looks like considerable material removed.

This is what I meant. RC just said it more eloquently/knowledgeably. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2015 at 05:51
When do you get it back? 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 10:35
 Its back

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 10:46
Wow. I didn't think there was EVER a way to make a Glock "sexy". I stand corrected. 
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 10:53

Shooting it with a suppressor you will more than likely have to lighten the recoil spring on a Glock to make it cycle. I have one of the Zev slides and a Yankee Hill can. I had to go down to a 12lb recoil spring in order to get it to cycle.

With no can on it even with the lightened slides they cycle fine with any spring from factory 17lb down to 14lb recoil springs.

Edited by Chris Farris II - July/21/2015 at 11:07
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 11:07

Wow. I didn't think there was EVER a way to make a Glock "sexy".

What about when I'm holding the Glock in question, Mark?
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 11:07
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Its back

Looks cool!
Ted

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 11:39
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Laugh

Don't forget Sargent Sexy!

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 12:00
Are you sure it isn't Corporal Cuddlely
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 12:15
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 12:45
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

Shooting it with a suppressor you will more than likely have to lighten the recoil spring on a Glock to make it cycle. I have one of the Zev slides and a Yankee Hill can. I had to go down to a 12lb recoil spring in order to get it to cycle.

With no can on it even with the lightened slides they cycle fine with any spring from factory 17lb down to 14lb recoil springs.

That is purdy. I'm oping to try it out this weekend. If it dose not cycle I'll drop the spring down and give it a go.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic