OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

alpen v swaro spotting scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaultman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alpen v swaro spotting scopes
    Posted: July/16/2015 at 00:15
Was at the local sporting goods store today. Comparing a swaro atx with a vortex razor. I hadn't ever really compared the two. Some other costumer comes walking by as I am looking in the swaro, and says "can I give you some advice, the alpen spotters are just as good as the swarovski, and for a quarter of the price, their glass made by zeiss, check 'em out. Just tryin' to help" Loco I didn't even get to say a word. About knocked me over from the shock that someone would give such unsolicited advice. Probably works for alpen.

I am not trying to knock anyone's spotting scope, or budget for one. I probably don't have the swaro budget either, but I want to make an educated decision. If I have to and they are that good I will save my money for a year before I buy. I guess he was just trying to educate me. Excellent
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 09:34
I have an Alpen spotter bought many years ago, it is thoroughly okay.  Glass is not as good as Swazo, Kowa, Zeiss, Vortex HD, or any of the really good stuff.

For the price, yes they are good.  Compared to something 4-10 times as expensive: they are just good.

The guy definitely pointed you in a good, low-cost direction, but he set expectations way, WAY too high.

Alpens are plastic body, integral eye piece, not ED glass.  If you need something and cannot spend more than $300, it is a good choice.  If you are looking at spending $1,000, you can get MUCH more spotter for that $1k.

Pentax makes a scope, a PF-80ED, that is great for the money, I think they go for about $1k with eye piece, it is ED glass, not a plastic body, and the eye piece is among the better I have used.  It isn't as good as a Kowa 77-series, but it isn't $3,000 either.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 10:01
+1 what Rancid said.
 I needed to spot .30cal. holes on a 300yd target. After trying a couple of 300 to 400 dollar spotting scopes I decided I needed better glass. I was torn between the Pentax PF-80ED and the Vortex Razor, but decided to save for the Vortex. I came across a really good deal on a used Pentax PF-80ED that I couldn't pass up, and I'm happy with the Pentax.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
vaultman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaultman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 14:41
Thank you for the heads up on the Pentax. My wife likes their cameras of old. I may have to try a few out.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2015 at 17:10
If you're primarily going to use it at the range, or where portability is not a factor, I'd look at the big Zen Ray ED, the new Meopta Meopro, the Vanguard Endeavor HD/ED, or the Razor 85.  If portability is a factor, the Nikon 50 ED is great, as is the mid size Razor, and the excellent Gold Ring HD, which is the toughest spotter made, and the eye relief king if you wear glasses. 

If you want a top shelf spotter, and spend more money, the Meopta S2 is as good as an spotter on the planet, and better than 99% of anything IMO.   
vaultman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaultman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2015 at 19:45
Range will be a big use, but Hunting is the #1 purpose, and portability is key for me. Thank you for the suggestion.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2015 at 22:33
I own the Nikon 50ED and it is a great spotting scope. But knowing what I know now and looking through the Razor and the Nikon outdoors I would get the Razor.
vaultman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaultman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2015 at 23:30
Thanks for the info Sparky.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2015 at 23:38
My pleasure Vaultman.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic