OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A.T.A.C.R RIFLE SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A.T.A.C.R RIFLE SCOPE
    Posted: July/09/2015 at 13:19

anyone tried one these...had a peep not seen better glass...build quality was excellent as expected from a nightforce Excellent   

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 15:15
It is a good scope.  It is not the best glass available, and the 25X version isn't particularly easy to get behind at 25X, but few are.

Is this a general comment or are you looking at one for a particular application?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 17:49
I like NF scopes a lot, and own 2 NXS scopes.

However, I have to say, that acronym has to be one of the stupidest names ever for a scope, and it seems to play to the mall ninja stereotype. Someone at NF actually sat around trying to come up with a "tacticool" sounding acronym, then made a tortured long title to fit it, rather than the other way around. IMO, it's monumentally juvenile, much like the idiotic "Zombie" fad, and to me hurts the serious, professional reputation of a good company like NF. It sounds like something CounterSniper would've come up with, and if I were interested in buying a scope in its class, that alone makes me less likely to want to buy it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 17:52
Oh..OK. I get it. Bucky

I'm a little slower than our illustrious forum members.  

That AIN'T gay, Ted. Not a lick! Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2015 at 13:59
I like NF scopes and have 6 NXS versions (my buddy calls me a scope slut). The NXS has very dependable tracking, and the glass is good (not superb).  At 22X the eye relief is a little picky, but not nearly as bad as some other scopes of similar price that I have looked through.  The ATACR is supposed to be better than the NXS and I will be buying a FFP model soon.  I have read reviews from some that say the glass in the ATACR is much better, but I don't think it will be much different.

I agree with Ted's comments about the mall ninja names given to products these days.  It is grossly overdone and stupid.

Edited by SEMO Shooter - July/13/2015 at 08:53
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 23:12
The Mil R reticle looks nice. It reminds me of the MSR in my Steiner Military, except thinner? I wonder if the arrows along the edge of the reticle disappear at low magnification.

Still, it is a lot of money. Rancid, are there any scopes in this scope price range ($3300) that have a better eyebox at 25X?

I always wanted a scope like this one, even if it does have have stupid name. Or if Hensoldt would make their 6-24X56 or 6-24X72 with good reticle options and the same features and turrets as this Nightforce, that would be ideal.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2015 at 08:58
Honestly, I am not the guy to ask. Koshkin should be able to speak to this with some authority. I avoid scopes >20x most of the time. I do have significant time behind the Kahles 6-24 but wouldn't recommend that scope.

My preferred mag range is about 15X on top; beyond that, I start focusing on the idiosyncrasies of the 24X image and less on fundamentals.

Hensoldt is the best image quality I have used, my 3-12 is still my favorite view from any scope. Premier's Heritage - now the foundation of the redesigned Tangent Theta - is also exceptionally good. The gen2 Vortex HD are quite good as well, and less expensive than their German competition.

Koshkin can address the >20x eye box better than can I.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2015 at 21:34
I have looked through this scope outside on a trpod.  Optically it was impressive on small objects to about 300 yards (max distance available).  My shooting buddy is building a switch barrel rifle on a Batt action.  On a recent 3 week vacation trip he compared a bunch of higher end scopes.  His first priority in optical quality in the higher magnification range he needs due to vision issues.  The three he liked best, also taking into consideration price to value, were Razor HD Gen II, Leupold VX-6 and this Nightforce.  Where the Nightforce fell short was price to value.  I also compared the Gen II HD to the NF and it won my vote for a small edge over the NF in optical qualty.  He liked some other things best on each scope but bought the Razor for his Batt and will buy a VX-6 for another rifle.  So this is really only subjective choices based on our priorities with no science involved. We shoot some long range paper and steel but we do not compete, just a couple of old farts out having fun.  
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2015 at 11:13
This is a review from an ATACR user that was posted on another forum.

I have the ATACR F1 5-25 with h59 and a PM2 3-27 with h59.
I recently shot in a VBR match between 850-1000 yards. There was 127 bench rest shooters, all shot from concrete benches and expensive rests. I rolled out my shooting mat and shot prone. The PM2 was on my 6.5 saum and the atacr F1 was on my 6.5 creedmoor.
The weather was cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoon. We did have a good deal of mirage from noon and on.
I had the PM2 set at 27 power the whole day, the atacr F1 started at 25 power in the morning and by the afternoon I needed to dial it down to the 21-22 range, not a big deal but the PM2 seemed to handle mirage a bit better. Of course the price tags are quite different
The glass as far as resolution was great on both.
The atacr F1 glass is a huge improvement from my NXS.

Reticles are the same so you either love or hate Horus.
I like the center dot of the h59 since the animal silhouettes are 1/2 moa or smaller.

The turrets...
PM2 with MTC. They are nice and tight and the whole number detent is nice but I do see the gripe about skipping a click or 2 past a whole number. Has 2 revolutions.
Atacr F1.... Pretty much like the NXS but larger in size, and no rev limited. you can use the adjustment you have. The clicks are more audible than the MTC and slightly more spaced apart. For PRS purposes I would chose the ATACR turrets.
No illumination on the NF h59 but then again the illumination on the PM2 is only good in lowlight.

I was looking at a PM2 with h59 this year and found a 3-27 as a demo that was so close in price to the 5-25 I jumped on it. It doesn't tunnel at all. The atacr F1 does.
I like both scopes, Still learning the h59, but its thin enough that I don't have an issue with it.
I'll be looking to try out the 4-16 with the mil-r in the future.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2015 at 06:38

Originally posted by Gil P. Gil P. wrote:

The Mil R reticle looks nice. It reminds me of the MSR in my Steiner Military, except thinner? I wonder if the arrows along the edge of the reticle disappear at low magnification.

Still, it is a lot of money. Rancid, are there any scopes in this scope price range ($3300) that have a better eyebox at 25X?

I always wanted a scope like this one, even if it does have have stupid name. Or if Hensoldt would make their 6-24X56 or 6-24X72 with good reticle options and the same features and turrets as this Nightforce, that would be ideal.

Hensoldt, Tangent Theta, Kahles.  The 6-24x72 Hensoldt is "best of the best" .  Nothing really touches it for clarity, eyebox, low light usage, reliability.  Some say the 3.5-26 is better, but I don't think so (hard to really say unless I owned one and had a "day-to-day" comparison basis... I've only had brief contact with the 3.5-26).  It is good enough that it makes up for the reticle (which is adequate... it is "dead on" accurate and is calibrated at 12x which means you can use half the value at 24x and double the value at 6x... easy calculations).  Love the TT and the Kahles, too, though.  Any of these are premium in any category and differences will likely come down to personal preferences.  TT will be making an impact.  I have a March 3-24 and like it, but don't love it.  I had another on order and cancelled it after using the one I have for a bit.  Eyebox is "messy".  I think I've been spoiled by Hensoldt. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2015 at 20:48
I wish I could handle the 6-24X72 one day. I wonder what the price jump would be like if they made it in FFP?

I think youre right about the TT it will be very popular. I have never looked through a Premier but their reticle options were something that kept me from buying one.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2015 at 18:57
ATACR F1 are nice scopes.

I am currently testing the 4-16x42 version and I like it quite a bit.  Optically quality is notably better than the earlier NXS scopes and mechanical quality is very good.  

As far as eye relief flexibility at 25x goes, a lot of that is simply a function of the exit pupil size.  For a 56mm objective scope, exit pupil at 25x is 2.24mm.

For a 72mm objective lens, it is 2.88mm.

It may not look like much, but is a significant difference.  For a 6-24x72 Hensoldt, it is 3mm.

Non of the 56mm scopes are particularly forgiving of eye position at 24x or 25x, with Hensoldt being hte best of them in that regard.  Steiner M5Xi 5-25x56 is quite good, as is Kahles K624i 6-24x56.

Closely behind those two are Tanget Theta TT525P and Minox ZP5 5-25x56 with Nightforce BEAT and ATACR F1 pretty close as well.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 15:14
I received my new NF ATACR F1 with MIL-R reticle Monday.  My 308 is out to the gunsmith, so I mounted it on my Remington XCR 223.  I used medium height TPS rings.  It sits a little higher than I would like.  I got to shoot it yesterday afternoon.  This is my first FFP scope so this is a bit of a new venture for me.

First impression things I like:
Viewed objects have better definition and it is clearer than any of my NXS scopes
The turret adjustments have a nice solid feel to them
I like the capped windage turret
The numbers on the elevation turret are easy to read
I like the simplicity of the MIL-R reticle
The numbers next to the substensions are easy to see
The lines of the reticle are not too thick at high magnification
Eye relief distance does not change much with magnification
You can change illumination to red or green  (I hardly ever use illumination)
Illumination brightness and color are easy to change

First impression things I am not thrilled with:
I don't care much for flip up scope caps.  The rear cap turns with the power ring.  They can be removed.
The lines of the reticle are very thin at low magnification
The eye relief distance does not change much with magnification, but it is more finicky at high power
The numbers on the windage turret are small
Parallax distance numbers are so far off they should not have even put them on the adjustment knob
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 15:21
Thanks, SEMO. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Steel11A View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steel11A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 14:59
Can you educate me on how the capped windage adjustment works?  I don't see any detail on the Nightforce site.

thanks
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2015 at 16:16
The windage caps screws off as with most scopes and that exposes a numbered windage knob.  The scope comes with a threaded ring to act as a thread protector if you want to leave the windage cap off.  I think the threaded ring is not very well made and would likely fall off.  Mine does not fit the threads very snugly at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic