OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Some advice needed please!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosieBenjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some advice needed please!
    Posted: July/07/2015 at 22:15
Hi there,

I am a newb to the long range game and wanted to get a budget system together to see if it's for me or not, so I bought a Savage 10 Precision Carbine Limited Run Model .308 with a 20" Heavy Barrel and am buying an SWFA SS 10x42MMQ to go with it, but my question is which base and rings to buy? I would like to get them in aluminum to keep the weight down and as inexpensive as possible, I was thinking about the Weaver base and SWFA SS low rings and I can always upgrade later, but do I have to get the piccatiny for twice the price and do I need to have the 20 MOA base even though the scope seemingly has more than enough elevation to get me further than I probably will ever shoot it?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks. 
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2015 at 23:37
I have a Model 10 PC with Weaver 20 MOA pic rail, Burris XTR medium height rings and a Weaver 3-15 Tactical scope.  One advantage of picatinny rails is the uniform spacing from one unit to another that allows you to more easily use the same scope on multiple rifles without having to adjust ring spacing for each rifle.  I have a set of SWFA rings on another rifle and consider both decent quality budget rings.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 04:00
Welcome to Optics Talk.

A few years ago, I always advised getting a 20 MOA rail, even with the generous UP that the SS has. I figured, if you ever changed scopes, you might have a scope with less W/E than the SS and need the extra lift from a canted rail.

I agree with Rainman on all counts on the Pic rail, but I also started using Talley Lightweight rings and I never looked back. $40 and your done. Shave a little weight off that rig in the process too. 

http://swfa.com/Scopemounts-C746.aspx

If you decide to go with a rail, I'd opt for the EGW rails for the price and decent quality. I wouldn't go cheap with the rings. I'd go Seekins.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JosieBenjamin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosieBenjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 08:37
Thanks Guys!

The main reason I'm concerned about getting a 20 moa base or Pic rail is because I thought it might make the scope sit a little higher and I want to keep it as low as possible with the low rings and I wasn't sure I even needed it with this setup.

Also, the reason I was thinking about getting the plain old $16 Weaver base is because if I do decide to go with a Pic rail or 20 moa later on I could always use the cheap base for another shorter range rifle, unless you guys don't recommend it because of quality?

Cheaptrick- Are you recommending either the Talley rings on a Pic rail or the Seekins rings on an EGW rail, instead of the SWFA rings? Are the SWFA rings and Weaver base much lesser quality?

Thanks again for all the help! I really appreciate it because my head is spinning with all the accessories and I thought the rifle and the scope were hard to understand!  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 08:45
I would get the talley ring mounts cheaptrick is talking about you dont need to buy a seperate base. $40 and be done. If u get the talley ring mountsYour SS 10x has more than enough adjustment for your rifle.

EGW mounts are much better than Weaver. Seekins rings are a big step up from SS rings.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosieBenjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 10:00
Oh, ok thanks! I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm still confused... This is the first time I've ever used any of these types of accessories and I just want to make sure I get what will be the most useful and best fit for me and my rifle/scope!
So Talley ring mounts would be better than a cheap Weaver base and SS rings? Would they be as durable? And which one's do I get if I want them as low as possible, but still not get in the way of the oversized bolt handle? The low or the extra low?

The main reason I was thinking about getting the cheap Weaver base and low SS rings is because I've seen a pic of them on the same Savage as I have and everything fit nice and low and I'm worried about buying the wrong model of base, rail, rings or mounts and have them not fit correctly?

As long as everything fits correctly I will be happy because I can always upgrade to better one's in the future and use the old one's on another rifle...

So I guess my choices now are the Talley ring mounts, but which one's, the low or extra low and which model? Or an EGW rail and rings? Or a cheap Weaver base and SS low rings?

Thanks again for all the help and patience!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 10:23
I am guessing you could use lows.  http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-Aluminum-30mm-Scopemount-P8385.aspx  But I would call SWFA to verify, they should know.  I believe Cheaptrick has lows with a 30mm tube 40mm objective Leupold on a Remington heavy barreled .223.  

Talley mounts are excellent quality and very strong.  I have them on several rifles two of which are hard kickers and they hold up just fine. 

The advatage to them over a rail, is they keep the top of your action open so it is easier to manipulate if you need to get your hand in there for something.

If you were buying a scope with less adjustment range, a picatinny mount with 20moa would make more sense.  And what Cheaptrick said about getting one incase you change to a scope with less adjustment makes sense.  But you will spend at least $60 on a decent 20 moa picatinny rail, then at least $50 on decent rings.  The talleys are $40 and will work excellent with your scope choice.  If you upgrade later, you are only out $40.  So no big deal.

The Talleys will also allow you to keep things very low.  They are very good in that regard.

Here is a pick with talleys.  Swaro Z6 42mm objective with talley lows.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 12:36
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I believe Cheaptrick has lows with a 30mm tube 40mm objective Leupold on a Remington heavy barreled .223.  

Talley mounts are excellent quality and very strong.  I have them on several rifles two of which are hard kickers and they hold up just fine. 

The advatage to them over a rail, is they keep the top of your action open so it is easier to manipulate if you need to get your hand in there for something.

Yes, the LOW Talley's work perfectly for me, especially when using a stock pack and BC flip up caps. I even removed a Badger 20 MOA rail off my Rem. 700 .308 and replaced with Talley LW's and a SS 3-9x with the same size objective housing as your SS 10x. It's a perfect fit and I think the rifle actually balances a tiny bit better with less weight.  
Talley makes a SUPER LOW too, but I haven't used it. I think SVT Tactical has. With a stock pack, the regular lows are ideal for me. 

Don't be deceived by the low price of the Talley's. They are a top shelf and super easy to install. 

ST's comments concerning the Talley's allowing you to access the ejection port of the rifle is spot on. I failed to mention that. Don't over think it. I'd get the Talley's and start shooting. 

That is one sweet rifle, Super Tool....considering that the bolts on the WRONG side. Wink    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 13:02
Originally posted by JosieBenjamin JosieBenjamin wrote:

Cheaptrick- Are you recommending either the Talley rings on a Pic rail or the Seekins rings on an EGW rail, instead of the SWFA rings? Are the SWFA rings and Weaver base much lesser quality?

No. The Talley's are a ring/mount all in one. You will need nothing more, if you go this route. $40...set it and forget it. 

IF...you go with a picatinny rail, I'd suggest the EGW rail and the Seekins rings. This is a slightly more expensive proposition than the Talley LW's though. Probably around $155.00.  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosieBenjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 18:32
Thank guys!

I'm probably going to take your advice and go with the Talley's, I just wish I could try both setups because for some reason the Talley's look a bit higher to me then the base/rail plus low rings combo? Do the Talley's screw in with only one screw on each one instead of the two on each end of a base/rail? Is it as precise for long range shooting and as durable as a base/rail? As well as stiffness, etc.?

I'm wondering whether it would be worth it to buy the Talley's ring mounts and a cheaper base or pic rail, like the EGW or Weaver multi slot tactical pic rail as well as the SS rings to try them both and see which setup I like better in terms of slimmest/lowest and most rugged/durable and then use the extra set on a future hunting rifle?

The EGW and Weaver pic rails are both $30 each and the SS rings are the same, would they be worth trying just to see or do you still think only an EGW and Seekins rings are worth getting? I wish I could afford the Seekins Precision rail because of the quality and because it look to be the thinnest, but it's $100 just for the rail....

I really want to try the Talley's, but my stubborn head is stuck thinkin' I need to have a base/rail for some reason? So what would you get if you wanted to try both? Which base/rail + rings combo would be the cheapest, but still decent quality?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosieBenjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 18:33
Thanks again and real nice lookin' rifle there ST!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2015 at 21:50
Sounds like your heart is set on a rail. With EGW unless you get thr hd version they are very high.

Warne makes one that is lower, TPS, Badger,IOR, Seekins. But they are all spendy.

If u buy a $30 rail and $30 rings you will not be getting the level of quality that Talley is. They are excellent. And because they are one peice they are low, and they are strong. You can only go so low before the objective his the barrel and u can see with mine thats about as low as you can go. So a rail can't get u any lower.

Each base uses two bolts. The whole needing a one peice base to stengthen action theory. If your action needs that to be strong enough, i suggest finding a better action.

But if your heart is set on a rail, get it. Its your setup, so get what fits your wants best.

Edited by supertool73 - July/08/2015 at 21:57

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 06:56
Talley Light Weights are on all 4 of my Savages including my long range hunter in 300WM...

Light, solid and clean looking!!!! 

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 07:18
Lovely lady, Bud. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosieBenjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 08:38
Wow! That looks really nice!!! Bud, are those the medium or high?

I'm definitely going to try a set of Talley's! I'm just debating whether I want to also try a set of budget rings and base/pic rail? Just so I can actually have something to compare each types to and then I would just use the extra on another rifle...

Now that I know I'm going with the low or extra low Talley's, I just have to decide what the best budget rings and rail to go with?

I really appreciate all the help! Every time you guys post something I learn a whole lot!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 09:05
Originally posted by JosieBenjamin JosieBenjamin wrote:

Now that I know I'm going with the low or extra low Talley's, I just have to decide what the best budget rings and rail to go with?

"Budget" picatinny rails and "tactical" rings, rarely go together. 

I'd reluctantly recommend the SS aluminum rings, I guess. EGW rail. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 09:22
Cheaptrick is right budget is not a great idea to mount a scope. You can have the nicest rifle and scope made and if u have cheap mounts that will not hold zero, u got nothing.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 09:52
Thats why I went with Talley lite weights.  They do away with the set of screws that hold the rings to the base and have simple clean lines.  I've never had a Talley loosen up either...

I believe those are talley talls on my 12BTV in .223, The scope has a 50mm bell and bulter flips ups.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosieBenjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 15:09
I'm definitely going to go with the Talley Light Weights in either low or extra low. There is only .100" difference in them, but I'm worried about the enlarged tactical bolt handle not having enough room to clear the scope?
Here's it is:
 https://www.impactguns.com/savage-10p-308-limited-run-rifle-heavy-20in-barrel-custom-bolt-22075-011356220752.aspx
Which one's do you guy's think I should go with the lows or extra lows and what about the extended models? What advantages are there to the extended models?

Thanks again, I can't tell you how much this is helping me and how much I appreciate it!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosieBenjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 15:15
I'm so excited to get this whole setup together because this is my first precision long range target/tactical shtf all purpose rifle, which might even be light enough to try hunting with one day!!! 
Though I have a feeling that I will probably add others to the collection for each individual purpose! Hopefully this is just the beginning!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic