OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody Got a Farrell 1 Piece Base

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody Got a Farrell 1 Piece Base
    Posted: July/26/2006 at 17:22

I  bought a Ken Farrell 1 piece base for a new Savage 10FP that I had on order.

Well the rifle came in today .... got home and decided to play around with seeing how the scope fit and how the cheek weld lined up.

So I mounted the base ... plopped on a set of Mark 4 Medium Rings and laid the scope in the bottom 1/2 of the rings.  It just didn't look right .... the back of the scope looked higher than the front ..... I took off the rings and then the base and took out my handy micrometer.  One end mic'ed up at .4385 thickness and the other end mic'ed up at .4455 .... I sure would have thought a 0 MOA base would mic up the same on both ends. 

Before anyone says that's what a 20 or 30 MOA base should be like .... I didn't order a 20 or 30 MOA Base .... I ordered a 0 MOA Base .... I checked the numbers on the base with those on the Farrell site ..... SAV-RTS-1-0 is a 0 MOA Base for Savage Round Top Short  Receiver .... ain't this something. 

I'm gonna give Farrell a call tomorrow .... sure looks like it is labelled wrong.  They are closed now so we will see in the AM.

The problem I have now is, if a mistake like that could be made, what else could be off a tad .... anyone have any experiences like this?

The World is a Toy Store ...
And I aims to Play
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2006 at 18:17
I have three 1-piece Farrell bases: one Savage and two Mausers and all three work fine.  I never bothered to measure the exact thickness, though, since they work fine.

If there is a problems, i am sure they'll fix it.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2006 at 20:06
oops

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 07:37

I just got off the phone with Ken Farrell ..... Great Guy BTW .... real knowledgable and easy to talk to.

Here's the scoop with the base ..... the measurements that I made are correct.  BUT .... there is a front and rear side to the base .... they are now marking the bases with which end goes where..

It needs to be installed with the printing on the base facing you if you are on the ejection port side of the rifle.

There is a slight difference in heights (front rear) on the Savage (also height differences on Remington .... but different) and the Farrell Bases are machined to match the rifle and to give you a 0 MOA setting.

BTW ... once the base is set correctly (front-to-rear) even the length of each of the screws matches the depth of the holes on the receiver. 

FYI ... I'm feeling ALLOT Better about the base .... I'm seeing now that the problem wasn't with the base but with my knowledge of making them and installing them.

Also ... Ken Farrell said if I ever have any questions, don't hestitate to call ... GREAT SERVICE

The World is a Toy Store ...
And I aims to Play
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 12:25
I am glad to hear it worked out well.  I've spoken to him a couple of times and he was always very helpful.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic