OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica ER 5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica ER 5
    Posted: June/30/2015 at 15:22
What's the word on the Leica ER 5? I'm looking for something to go on a Browning A-Bolt Super Short Action (WSSM.) How does the ER 5 1.5-8x compare in low light to the Z3 3-9x36 or VX3 1.75-6x or VXR 2-7x?

Do any of these designs handle situations where there is more light coming in the back than the front better than any others? Compared the Z3 to the VX3 recently and was surprised the Leupold handled it better. (Z3 seemed better in all else, though)
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2015 at 16:31
I had one on order and waited for over two months. Nada. I finally changed the order to a Swaro Z3 3-9 X 36. The Leica may be the greatest thing since sliced bread... but not if you can't get it. My $.02. For low light, the VXR's are quite nice ... but I've been a Z3 lover for quite awhile. I have several.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2015 at 16:55
disclaimer: I have no personal experience with either the Leica ER5 , or the Leupold VX-6, but own the Z3's big brother and a little VX-R.

All of the scopes you mentioned will perform satisfactorily, well past legal light.
All of those scopes fit above the point of diminishing returns, where any incremental improvement in performance comes at a disproportionate increase in cost. Modern scope technology has advanced significantly in recent years and all of those scopes are testament to that fact. It probably boils down to what features you want and what price you want to pay, because none of your mentioned scopes is inadequate in any meaningful regard.
Mounting length fore and aft of the turrets, with regard to eye relief, might be a consideration, because all of those scopes are a bit different, although none are likely to create issue with your Browning's short action.

Ps My VX-R is a 2-7X (claimed, not really- more like 2.5- 6.6X) and the optics and eyebox are not only excellent, but the illumination is as good as it gets. Salesmen have told me that VX-R glass is between VX-2 and VX-3. I don't know about that, but all I can say is, it doesn't need to be any better.Is the VX-R glass a match for my Swarovski? No, but I don't care- it's good enough for anything I'll ever do and the illumination makes up for he Swaro's still visible crosshair when the Leupold's center fades, way past dark, I might add.

Edited by Alan Robertson - June/30/2015 at 17:02
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2015 at 16:59
I have the Leupold VX-R in 3-9x with the Firedot Duplex reticle. As Alan stated, not sure how it stacks up to a Swaro, or the Leica glass wise, but it's no slouch either. I'm not a big illumination fan, but the Firedot flat out works. 

There's a few on The Sample List, if your so inclined, as well as a few Swaro's. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2015 at 17:22
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I have the Leupold VX-R in 3-9x with the Firedot Duplex reticle. As Alan stated, not sure how it stacks up to a Swaro, or the Leica glass wise, but it's no slouch either. I'm not a big illumination fan, but the Firedot flat out works. 

There's a few on The Sample List, if your so inclined, as well as a few Swaro's. 

Sorry for editing my post before you got yours up...

I'm like you and did not previously like illumination. I've no doubt that other mfg's probably have working illumination, but I've never used a "red dot" or Accupoint, or some such and my only prior experience is with an inexpensive lit scope which travels without a battery, because it's illumination is basically useless. Firedot changed everything, for me. I've discovered that it's even a great aid to getting on target quickly, during bright daylight.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2015 at 09:34
Thanks, all. Looks like I need to get my hands on a VX-R.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2015 at 13:37
Well worthy of your consideration, Friend. The Firedot is a game changer.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2015 at 14:06
I am a big fan of the VX-R as well.  While is does not have great glass, it is good and the illumination is awesome. 

Comparing to a VX3 the glass is not quite as good IMO. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2015 at 14:16
One thing to remember about the VX-R scopes is that they are not true to their claimed magnification, just like other Leupold scope lines, prior to the VX-6. You can look at the specs on the Leupold website and see what I mean.
I'm sure those experienced with quality illuminated reticles would tell you that the scopes are quick to get on target, as the eye goes quickly to the illuminated center. If it's the VX-R illumination which has captured your fancy, then be sure and check out other known performers like Accupoint, as well.
One can look at Leupold specs and see that VX-R glass is lesser than VX-3 or VX-6, if for no other reason than the coatings used. For me, that isn't an issue with my VX-R.
If you aren't interested in lit reticles, then any scopes that you mentioned would be great and all would have better glass than the VX-R, if that's more important for you, though only incrementally so.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2015 at 14:46
I think the VX-R scopes are great for the money! They aren't quite up to VX-3 optical standards, but they aren't shabby either. The illumination is pretty good.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2015 at 15:06
Well, I saw the VX-R had some extra heft with the 30mm tube, so I decided to also order the VX3. I will compare side by side and return the one least preferred. Thanks, again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2015 at 20:40
I think the 4X was the only scope Leupold ever made that was really the designated power.  

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic