OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle for Daughter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 20:52
Cool. Meghan shoots right-handed---just looks through scope with left eye.....
Visit the Ed Show
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 22:17
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Oh! Savage Lady Hunter.....

6.5 Creedmoor   Thinking

Excellent cal but alittle tough to get sometimes.

I suggest sticking with 7mm-08 but you know what you want. You could always have it threaded for a break and cut the recoil down. Ask Helo or Big Daddy about the custom break I have on Annabrookes 7mm wsm. If you think it would help I could give you the family discount.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 23:58
My daughter's 17 years old, 5'2", 100 #'s and she shoots my beloved 7mm.08 extremely well, I wouldn't hesitate to move her up to a .270win.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 08:06
I'd go with the 6.5 Creedmoor! Good excuse to buy dies and brass I currently don't own!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 09:32
I have experience with 243 and 7mm-08 and would say do the 7mm if it is really a game hunting rifle.  Deer and 243 are good, but if she wants to start shooting elk or something in that size, the larger bullet will help.

My 7mm-08 load is a 140-gr Barnes TTSX over 44 grains of Varget.

All that said, 243 is no slouch, it is better at the smaller bullets for smaller game, but is great on deer.  I personally wouldn't hunt elk with it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 11:49
As Mark alluded to, it's hardly any secret which route I'd go. I love 7-08 specifically and all 7mm cartridges in general. I could write a book extolling my love for 7mm cartridges, but I won't.

Suffice it to say, anything .284" bore offers the advantage of terrific bullet selection and flight dynamics, without punishing the shooter too much in exchange, i.e. the most for the least. In my view, it offers as close to an ideal "sweet spot" of terminal performance vs. recoil as can be had in rifledom in a beautiful, harmonious melding. It balances fantastic BC and SD (high % retained velocity, low drop and drift at distance,  and great penetration), fantastic precision (due its frequent use in competition and the bullet manufacturers giving it much love as a result), and great overall selection of different bullet styles for every conceivable application you'd ever need to use a medium bore rifle cartridge for. Due to its efficiency, it dishes out max punishment on the business end with relatively minimal punishment on the driver's end.

The 7-08 in particular isn't fussy to load for, is based off commonly available .308 brass (and all the excellent sources of brass that entails), is easy on barrels, easy on shoulders, kills way out of proportion to its size, and fits in handy dandy little short action carbines. It's a lot like the classic "Little Engine That Could." It whips the everloving dog s*** out of .257 Roberts due to more efficient bullets and therefore superior retained velocity and energy, yet with no significant increase in recoil, better brass availability, better bullet selection, and (if you don't reload), better factory ammo selection. The same virtues inherent in 7mm can be said of 6.5mm rounds overall, so all of 7-08's virtues basically also apply to .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor, except 7-08 has better factory ammo availability if you don't reload. I also believe 7mm has a bit better penetration edge on the heavy end of each caliber's available bullet weights.

The same overall traits could be said of the .243 and the excellent selection of 6mm bullets available, except heavy 6mm's just don't match the penetration of the 7mm heavies. You could do a lot worse than .243 for deer sized game, whether the shooter is young or old, male or female. I love the .243, and my first deer rifle was so chambered. .243 does produce a little less recoil than 7-08, but if you're shooting 120gr. 7-08 loads, you won't notice much, if any recoil difference between it and a typical 100gr .243 load. You can certainly load the 7-08 to match .243 recoil levels, yet at the same time, the 7-08 is a bit more versatile when going after larger critters.

All of the chamberings thus far mentioned will work just fine given deer sized game, shot distance kept to reasonable limits, and shot placement in the vitals. You'd really have to be stretching the limits of shot distance and critter size before you'd likely notice any difference in terminal results between any of them. Nevertheless, greater choices in bullets, brass, ammo, and rifles so chambered could never be considered a bad thing, all of which favor .243 and 7-08. Of those 2, 7-08 offers a bit more versatility once you go larger than deer.

My daughter started shooting .243 and 6.8 SPC at around 12 years old. Shortly thereafter, she occasionally shot my 7-08 and .260, etc. She doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference in recoil between the bunch, despite the 7-08's higher recoil energy on paper. As long as you don't include hot 140 - 160gr 7-08 loads in the mix, I suspect stock and recoil pad design and rifle weight will have more influence on perceived recoil than which of those sub-.30 cal short action rounds the rifle is chambered in.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 12:20

(Quote       Suffice it to say, anything .284" bore offers the advantage of terrific bullet selection and flight dynamics, without punishing the shooter too much in exchange, i.e. the most for the least. In my view, it offers as close to an ideal "sweet spot" of terminal performance vs. recoil as can be had in rifledom in a beautiful, harmonious melding. It balances fantastic BC and SD (high % retained velocity, low drop and drift at distance,  and great penetration), fantastic precision (due its frequent use in competition and the bullet manufacturers giving it much love as a result), and great overall selection of different bullet styles for every conceivable application you'd ever need to use a medium bore rifle cartridge for. Due to its efficiency, it dishes out max punishment on the business end with relatively minimal punishment on the driver's end.

Quote)

Need anything else be said???

But I'll say on anyway. With Annabrooke and I shooting 1K comps she has the 7mm wsm and I the 300WM. I load the 7wsm with Berger 180's and the 300wm with Berger 185's. The velocity between the two was only 40fps (7wsm the faster) but the 7wsm is substantially flatter. No its not the same as the 7-08 but the 7mm is just hard to beat in any form. And to think that not so long ago in my biased ignorance I had a real dislike for 7mm. The only thing I think could out perform it doesn't exist at present. A 160 to 170gr 270 round. Ofcourse that is simply my bias for a 270. And to repeat RC, factory and reload options for the 7-08 are right up there with the top contenders. Startin to feel a "next" project commin on so I'm gonna stop before I think about it too much!!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 15:59
Good information.  I'm pretty sure that, with all this new information, Meghan could handle a 7mm-08.  

What's a few foot/pounds??   Big Grin

And.....we could always fool around with those FUSION loads!!!   

Thank you to all you experts with your 10,000 years of collective experience with the 7mm-08!!!   This Much

Visit the Ed Show
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 16:36
Ed,

You're more than welcome to borrow my featherweight deluxe Win model 70 in 7mm-08 so she can try it.  Just let me know.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 16:46
Get a suppressor for it too, recoil goes almost completely away, hearing is preserved, they are legal for hunting game in Texas, and they are cool.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 16:56
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

Ed,

You're more than welcome to borrow my featherweight deluxe Win model 70 in 7mm-08 so she can try it.  Just let me know.

Certainly!  I'll cut it down to 12 1/2" so Meghan can shoot it and get it back to you right away!  Shocked
Visit the Ed Show
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 17:13
Hmmm.  Maybe we'll put something in writing!Shocked
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 17:53

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 18:04
Whoa, I was going to offer my Remington Model 7 MS in .257 Roberts to try but no makin' the stock shorter!!!

😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 18:21
I'd check out the Ruger American also, as stated previously. I was floored by features and seeming quality of this rifle when I fondled one recently. 
$379.00 I think. 

Probably could get one for close to $300, a smoked beef brisket and a years worth of ammo in Texas.... 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 19:23
I am a huge fan of the 7-08, and the only reason I don't have one right now is Hornady quit making the 162gr AMAX. ( I believe this bullet to be the perfect combination of  B.C. and length, allowing for some really stiff loads of  4350...) But I had that rifle re-barreled into a 6.5 Creed, which is also a GREAT round.

As far as the difference in recoil between the 2 cartridges goes the 7-08 was definitely manageable for everyone in my family, including some people that the stock didn't fit real well... My 6.5 doesn't move at all during recoil. It can be shot in some very compromising positions, and the shot can still be called through a scope set at 15x...

I will own a 7-08 again, but not at the expense of my 6.5 Creed...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2015 at 19:39
[QUOTE=Son of Ed]Good information.  I'm pretty sure that, with all this new information, Meghan could handle a 7mm-08.  

What's a few foot/pounds??   Big Grin

And.....we could always fool around with those FUSION loads!!!   

Thank you to all you experts with your 10,000 years of collective experience with the 7mm-08!!!   This Much

[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge fan of the 7-08 myself, and have been using it for years.  I started my son on this fine caliber 15 years ago.  You may find these reduced/low impact loads helpful for your daughter.  I know they worked well for my son and his Tikkas.   Good luck!

Bullet - Nosler 120gr Ballistic Tip
Brass - Winchester, Remington, or Federal
Primer - CCI 200 or Federal 210
Powder - IMR 4198 (32.5 gr), AA3100 (46gr), Reloder 7 (30gr), IMR4759 (25gr), H4895 (35.6gr)

Use the IMR 4198 if you have it, add more powder if not at desired velocity,(you can safely go up to 37gr, or if too fast you can go as low as 25 gr. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2015 at 07:28
If you are interested, I have a second Ruger M77 compact with the shortened LOP stock. I believe it's about 12.5". My wife (5'2" and 110 lbs) used it before she got the 7mm-08. It's chambered in .308 which is a bit "stiffer" than the '08 and barks with the short BBL. You / your daughter may try it if you so desire. PM me with questions.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2015 at 08:38
The 162 amax is still available, when did they stop making your getting me nervous?
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic