OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle for Daughter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle for Daughter
    Posted: June/21/2015 at 13:09
I want to get my daughter, Meghan, a rifle but I was wondering what would be the best caliber for her.  She said a 243, but I think she should get something with a little more oomph.

Meghan is little.  She's 5' 5", but only weighs maybe under 110.  Her Mom used to shoot a 257 Roberts years ago and she only weighed 105 then.

I'm sure if she had the correct length of pull, she could handle a bigger cartridge.  She hasn't shot any rifles in a long time.  The last one was a 243 up in Kansas.  

I have no experience with a 7mm-08.  What is that like?  I think that would be a good rifle for her, and not kick too bad.  If the stock was cut down and a recoil pad added, she should be just fine....but I've never shot a 7mm-08.  I always thought it was as stout as a 308 Win., but maybe it's not....I don't know.   

They're making rifles lighter and lighter all the time now...( 6 1/2 pounds and lighter! ), and they're making scopes Heavier and Heavier ( Whatever ), so I'm trying to figure out what she would be comfortable carrying around, and then shooting it.  

I'd like to stick with a cartridge that will be available....so 257 Roberts is out the window kinda, 7X57s are hard to come by ( but, I know where one is located!! Bucky ), 300 Savage is an OLDIE,  250 Savage is gone and you can't find bullets...so I was thinking 7mm-08, or 260 Rem. or maybe a 6.5X55 ( but you can't find Swedish ammo at WalMart, either...)

What's the 7mm-08 like?  Is it a good rifle for a gal?  

I just think the 243 is just a little too conservative.  She could handle something bigger, I'm sure.

Visit the Ed Show
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 13:16
My wife loves her Ruger compact in 7mm-08. Lots of ammo choices and rather mild in the recoil department.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 13:29
I was looking at RECOIL TABLES yesterday and was surprised by the numbers of the 7mm-08 recoil.  I always thought that the 7mm-08 was a heavier kicker.  That is good to know.  Basically, a 7X57 ( which I thought would be a perfect choice ), but with lots of ammunition on the shelves!!  

Well, I have seen 7X57 ammo around, too....and I know where a Winchester Featherweight is...Wink

Visit the Ed Show
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 13:54
What is she gonna use it for? I'd say 243 or less, unless she's gonna hunt elk or something similar.   Nothing worse that recoil to make someone not like shooting.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 13:58
Even if 7mm-08 is tolerable she would get more enjoyment out of a 243 or even better a 223.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 14:09

Everyone I have sold one of these has been very happy with it. I intend on getting Annabrooke one in 30-06 because that is a cal she wants.

I get very good reports on the Marlin 7mm-08 from my customers. And based on my recent research on 7mm variables the ballistics are impressive across the board.

You can get it in this youth model and if the length of pull is a bit short you can add a Sims recoil boot and take even more off the punch. I'm fairly confident you both will be pleased with the rifle and cal. Good Luck!!

MAR XS7Y 7MM08 22" BLK SYN CPMT *D-F*

Bolt-action. Pistol grip-style stock w/positive checkering. Adjustable Pro-Fire™ trigger system. Soft-Tec™ recoil pad. Blued barrel. Fluted bolt for speed & smoothness. Checkered bolt handle. Fully enclosed bolt shroud. Pillar bedded stock for accuracy. Recessed "target style" muzzle crown. 2 position safety. Red cocking indicator. Swivel studs. Wt.: 7 lbs. Includes: gun lock, scope base.

Action:

BOLT ACTION

Barrel Finish:

BLUED

Barrel Length:

22"

Body Finish:

BLUED

Caliber:

7MM-08 REMINGTON

Capacity:

4 ROUNDS

Model:

XS7 YOUTH

Sight:

NO SIGHTS

Stock Finish:

BLACK

Twist Ratio:

1:9.5"

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 14:39
My daughter, Meghan, will probably just be shooting at deer here in Texas, but if she went up to Wyoming or Kansas or Colorado, she might as well have something bigger.  She's been shooting since she was nine or so...

She shoots a 357 Blackhawk.  I just found out last night that a 7mm-08 is like 4 ft/lbs ( or something ) more of a kicker than a 243!  I had no idea!  I was afraid it was as stout as a 270 Win or something, but, apparently, it's not.  If that's the case, she could certainly handle the difference. And the 7mm-08 is definitely more of a powerhouse than a 100 grain 243.    

As a matter of fact, I found a Browning A Bolt yesterday on the Internet that has already been cut down, in 7mm-08.  Wood stock.  ( I had been wondering if one could cut down all of these plastic stocked rifles that I see....well, here's one that is already cut...! )

I'll talk to her.  I'm sure she could handle more than a 243. I just didn't have a clue as to what the 7mm-08 was like.  All of my rifles have been 270 Win and on up....now, I have a 6.5X55....that is the lightest rifle I have ever had with the exception of a 222 Remington I once had.....and, of course, 30-30s and 25-35 Winchesters....

I know where a nice Savage Model 14 Classic is..... in 300 Savage!! .....but, that is something for old codgers like ME!!!   ha!  Besides the 7mm-08 has got way better ballistics than that Old Timer!

Anyway, thanks for the input.  I needed to talk to somebody who had some experience with that cartridge.  

Visit the Ed Show
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 14:51
I would also look at Fusion reduced recoil ammo. Or load your own. From what I have heard the 270 with this is like shooting a 243. I believe they make it in 270, 30 06 and 308. That would give her the option for bigger game if she decided she wanted to. And since you already have a 270 she could shoot it and see how she liked it.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/fusion_lite_ammo.htm
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 15:00
The FUSION cuts the kick IN HALF but still shoots a deer!!  Shocked   ( up to 200 yards....)  

I don't have a 270 at the moment, but I've got a 30-06....

That would put the 30-06 kick at about that of a 260 Remington.....Laugh Holy cow.  

Visit the Ed Show
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 15:00
Ruget american compact may be a hood choice. We have 3 of them now, 300 blk, 22-250, and .243 ith short LOP. All of them shoot under 1 moa at 100 yards. Great low price rifles IMO.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 15:52
Savage Lady Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. That's what Mrs. peddler shoots.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 16:24
I'm sure Meghan would enjoy a 243. She could shoot that all day!  She could shoot a 223 in a handgun!! Laugh

18 inch barrel??!!   LOP is right---12 1/2"....

Only six pounds.....Whatever   if we got something that freakin' light we might as well get a Tikka T3....

Tikka T3 Lite rifle

20 inch barrel  6.6 lbs.....LOP adjustable to 12 1/2 up to 13 1/2 "  

Don't have 7mm-08.....just 243....

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 16:30

Savage 11 FNCS     They got 7mm-08  6.9 lbs.  22"   

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 16:34
Lady Hunter stock configuration just right for her size. End of story.

Made for a woman not just smaller,like compact!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 16:39
What's Lady Hunter ?  I know Meghan doesn't want the Pink Rifle...I already asked her.  She wants a rifle that looks like a real rifle.  [ she wants off-road lights on her Jeep!  She wants a Bowie Knife!! Bucky  ]    Roll Eyes

[ she wants a box of dynamite! Laugh]

Roll on Floor Laughing

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 16:49
Oh! Savage Lady Hunter.....

6.5 Creedmoor   Thinking

Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 16:56
Ruger American in 7mm Winkle. (7mm-08) 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 17:08

" You guys aren't going to get off this easy...."    

" Meghan's right-handed....but she shoots with her left eye...."   

Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 17:21
So...she's a left hand shooter?? Ruger American comes in a few lefty calibers, to include the Giant Slayer 7mm-Winkle and .243. 
I'm RH, but shoot lefty, because I'm left eye dominate. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2015 at 20:37
260 shoots like a dream....noticeably less than a 308....my perspective 308 not bad at all but you feel rifle move off bag...260 I don't even notice it moving. 6.5 swede, creedmoor, or 260 would all be great
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic