OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Grand slam/leupold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Grand slam/leupold
    Posted: July/24/2006 at 19:56

I have been looking around the forum for a few weeks now and you guys have given me a lot to think about and seem to know a hell of a lot about optics. Thanks

I am looking at buying a good scope the thing is here in NZ most of the scopes you talk about we cant get or cost a lot more than what you guys can get them for.

My rifle is a Remington 700 stainless synthetic .308 Winchester. Most of our hunting is early morning or late evening. We do a lot of bush hunting but still shoot a few in the open. I am very interested in the Weaver Grand slam 3-10x40 but can’t find much info on it. Are these any good how do they stack up in the way of glass and features?

I also hear they are upgrading this scope so I don’t really want an obsolete model

But my options are as follows:

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 (NZ$799)

Leupold VX III 3.5-10x40 (NZ$940)

Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 (NZ$980)

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly received.

Cheers

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2006 at 22:02

You've got some decent choices here.  I'd rate them (based on the needs you described):

1) Burris EuroDiamond;

2) Weaver Grand Slam;

3) Leupold VX III

Best of luck!

huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2006 at 22:44

Thanks for that I had the wrong Burris model it is meant to be a signature select 3-10. Thanks for your response

Cheers

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2006 at 10:37
Originally posted by huntsman huntsman wrote:

Thanks for that I had the wrong Burris model it is meant to be a signature select 3-10. Thanks for your response

Cheers

Thanks for the update.  With this in mind I would go with the Burris Signature Select first.  Very good scope & glass.  You won't be disappointed.

Good luck! 

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2006 at 14:03

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those.  I'd rank them like this

Leupold, Weaver, then Burris.  I don't base this on glass.  I couldn't tolerate the zoom ring on the Grand Slam, but I see that the 3-10X40 has a better one.  The Burris is too big and heavy.  I think I'm about the only one here, but I much prefer the Leupold locking eyepiece to the European style that most other scopes have. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2006 at 14:17
All three are good scopes.  I think Burris has slightly better glass than the other two. 

The prices you have there are ridiculous.  That's just highway robbery I plan to be going to New Zealand next summer.  If you need another scope at that point, I can probably bring you one.

ILya
huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2006 at 15:48

Thanks Koshkin and Mwyates.

I know the prices are unreal. I wanted to buy one out of the
USA but all the places I look will not ship scopes over seas.

Thank you for the offer Koshkin but I hope my new scope will last me a long time. We are coming up to spring in a couple of months time so I am hoping to have all my gear set up and running for when the deer come out of the bush for the new grass.

Good luck for when you come over. It is a neat place to hunt if you haven’t been here before. I don’t know where or what you will be hunting but am willing to bet you won’t be disappointed.

Chris

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2006 at 19:58
Unfortunately, I am not going hunting, but I hope I'll get to do a little sightseeing.

ILya
huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2006 at 20:24

I think you enjoy it here. There is alot to see. I hope you have a great trip when you come over

chris

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2006 at 21:07

Huntsman:

I think everyone is right all three are very good scopes.  My top choice would be the Burris but it is also the most expensive.  Personally, I think the Weaver Grand Slam is a fantastic scope and offers a great deal for the money that would be my pick if I didnt want to spend the money for the Burris.

Just some suggestions

The Bushnell 4200 is a great scope as well as the Zeiss Conquest.

Good Luck

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2006 at 17:58
Hi Acenturian

Thanks for that. I went to the local gun store and had a look at the line up again for the 100ths time (they must be getting sick of me) I am leaning leupolds way as you can get a raincote kit which seems like a good idea down here as we get a bit of rain and optics are forever fogging. Does the raincote kit work or does it for between the raingkote kit and the scope obj lense? I also had a look at the bushnells and they look like a hell of alot of scope for the money. why does it have to be so hard to choose!!!

chris
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2006 at 23:37

Huntsman

I have not had any experience with the Leupold raincote, but I will tell you that Bushnell's rainguard works pretty well.  If I was hunting in an area with rain being a big factor I'd definitly go with the Bushnell 4200 Elite.  It has great optics and the rainguard works very well.

Good Luck

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

ar15a292f View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ar15a292f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 09:25

Huntsman,

I was facing the same decision last year.  I was considering the three scopes that you have mentioned for my 30-06.  I was also considering a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest and the Bushnell 2.5-10x40 4200 Elite.  It came down to the Zeiss Conquest and the Burris Signature Select.  I chose the Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select with the Ballistic Plex recticle.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 12:43

I agree that the rainguard feature on the Elite 4200 is hard to beat.  You get a ton of scope for the money in the 4200.  Optically it is (in my opinion) so much better than the Leupold you're also considering. 

Why are you so tied to Leupold?  Is the dealer pushing you in that direction?  "Pound-For-Pound" Leupold is a terrible value when you compare it to the 4200 line as well as the Conquest and Burris Signature Select lines...

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 13:39

"Pound-For-Pound" Leupold is a terrible value when you compare it to the 4200 line as well as the Conquest and Burris Signature Select lines..."

I love that one. So very true.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 14:23

I agree that Burris Signature Select and Bushnell Elite 4200 represent the best value in

the riflescope market at this time. I have been recomending these two scopes for a while now

here at the OT. I do not like the fact that the Zeiss conquest is bieng compared in the same price class,

In order for you to get the same features as the Burris and 4200 from the conquest line you have to pay

significantly more money.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 15:11
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

I agree that Burris Signature Select and Bushnell Elite 4200 represent the best value in

the riflescope market at this time. I have been recomending these two scopes for a while now

here at the OT. I do not like the fact that the Zeiss conquest is bieng compared in the same price class,

In order for you to get the same features as the Burris and 4200 from the conquest line you have to pay

significantly more money.

Big +1.  Well said.

huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 17:52

Thanks guys

I am still looking. Cant go zeiss as they cost way too much here have looked at the 4200 and looks like a great scope but it seems very big. I am leaning towards the leupold as the guy at the shop will throw in a raincote kit with it. but the weaver seems the best value. I will let you know what i go with.

huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 18:08

hi guys

They guy at the shop is keen on selling me a leupold but will sell me what ever i want. He says that they have the lowist number of returns and are hard to break (we tend to abuse our gear) and if they do break they are the best at fixing them.

He was very keen on selling me the bushnell also but didnt know much about the weaver or burris. It was like he had them on his shef for no real reson. It is very hard to find info on the weavers but to me they look like a hell of a scope for the moeny. The bushnell is still a option.

Burris doesnt really have a name here. It is starting to get known now that beretta NZ brings them in but not many people have them so it isnt regarded as a great scope here like the leupold (but i think i will go with advice from the US as you guys have been around these brands alot longer than any of us). Does any one know if burris is plaining on doing a rain sheld of some sort?

thank you guys you are very helpfull

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 18:35

Huntsman if you are worried about size try the Kahles CL 3-10x50 side focus.

It is priced right here it might be priced less in New Zealand.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic