OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low Power Diamondback HP or Viper HS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anowal01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Power Diamondback HP or Viper HS
    Posted: June/16/2015 at 09:34
Scope going on a 22" Model 70 in .270 Win, range toy once a month 100 - 300 yards and medium game out to 300 yards maybe 2x per year.

Deciding between -

Viper HS 2.5-10x44 - I would make this my first choice if it wasn't fixed parallax, should I care?

Diamondback HP 3-12x42 - Low power has a much smaller field of view than the Viper (28.8' at 100 yards vs 47' at 100 yards for the Viper), is that sufficient?

Diamondback HP 2-8x32 - Gets me the large field of view at lower power, would like a little larger objective, but at 4x power my ratio is still >5 so light transmission should not be an issue with the smaller objective, right?

Would appreciate feedback on the questions above, thanks in advance!

oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2015 at 10:05

1st choice is: Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 Riflescope — First Focal Plane

2nd is the Diamondback HP 2-8x32

I have both and they are outstanding. The Diamondback HP 2-8x32 is a real sleeper of a value.

For deer and elk out to 400yds you'll you'll be very happy. There seems to be an obsession with large objectives. Other than weight and bulk they add very little else. I've used 2-7x scopes for years hunting and never felt short changed. When pushing the envelope in low light the lower powered scopes have always been better in my experience.

anowal01 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anowal01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2015 at 11:10
Was planning on going V-Plex on the reticle...what hunting uses for the XLR reticle have you had in the field with that HS LR?  Thanks for your reply.
oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2015 at 11:25
I have that one on a 17 Hornet for prairie dogs. I always get a ranging type reticle when I have a choice. Once you acclimate yourself to it doesn't get in the way and gives a quick range estimate.
anowal01 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anowal01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2015 at 14:59
Looks like that scope (the HS LR) was a limited run and is not current production...
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2015 at 17:46
I had a 2.5x10-44 Viper Pst which is very similar to the HS you are looking at and I was not overly impressed with the glass. It exhibited tunneling from 2.5 to about 4. In comparison, my 2-7x32 Viper and 3x12-42 Diamondback do not. To my eyes the glass on these two is better than the PST that I had. I have the 2x7-32 mounted on a 308 and have never had issues hunting at dawn and dusk. I personally would select either of the two Diamondbacks before the HS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic