OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Original Simmons AETEC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaPhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original Simmons AETEC
    Posted: June/13/2015 at 17:54
Hi folks.   I've got this old Simmons AETEC 2.8-10x44 .   I'm pretty sure I bought it back when the AETEC line first came out.   Non adjustable objective.  Looks like the one below. 

Anyway, I really haven't used it much.  I just remounted it on a new gun I got and noticed that it appears very clear from 2.8 up to 6.  After 6, it VERY quickly gets blurry.  By 10, it is CRAZY blurry.  I mean unusable blurry.   Seems to me there must be something wrong with it.  No one would buy a scope that gets as blurry as this at 10x.   Any ideas what could be wrong with it?

Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2015 at 18:11

It has an adjustable eye piece that should bring things back in line. Try that and let us know how it goes.

The Aetec I have has been flawless.

Welcome to the OT!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
DaPhotoGuy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaPhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2015 at 18:16
Sorry.  That's the first thing I tried.  Eye piece screwed all the way in and taken all the way out made no difference.  The only thing that changed in focus (at 10x) was the cross hairs.  They get nice and clear.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2015 at 20:21
I had one also on a Ruger 10/22 factory heavy barreled quasi target rifle.  For the time, price and my use it was a decent scope.  I did not experience the problem you describe so it sounds like something has gone wrong internally.  Beyond that I am clueless about the internal workings of rifle scopes so hopefully those more informed than I am will chime in.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaPhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2015 at 20:41
Yea Rainman.  I'm pretty sure there must be something sticking inside.  Why would it stay really clear only up to 6x and then by 7x be super blurry.   For the time being I'm going to shoot a bit with it at 6x max and see how that works.   It's on a mosin-nagant so it's not like I'll be taking 500 yard shots with it.  I'm very comfortable with the gun up to 300 yards and who needs more than 6x for that distance.  (ok, I'd LIKE more than 6x but I could LIVE with 6x).   Would be nice to figure out what it wrong.  I should write to Simmons and see if they'll fix it.
silvrjeepr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvrjeepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2015 at 11:36
I own a 25 or so year old  Philippines made Simmons 44 mag that recently started exhibiting the exact same behavior. Since it still holds zero and does surprisingly well in low light, my solution was to mount it on the kido's 243. That rifle is nearly never shot over 40 yards anyway. I just can't trust it on anything else...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2015 at 11:52
I had a Bushnell that did this to me.  I sent it back and when it was returned there was a note that said the internal parallax setting had gotten out of adjustment.  It has worked great sense.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2015 at 15:12
FWIW. Bushnell now owns Simmons. If you send your Aetec to Bushnell for repair be sure to specify in your letter that you want it REPAIRED, NOT REPLACED. Otherwise, they may discard it and send you a Bushnell scope that currently sells at a price the Aetec sold for when it was new, which now is something like the price of a Bushnell Trophy XLT. This happened to me on my first Aetec I sent in six years ago. They discarded it and sent the XLT as a replacement. The XLT would not hold zero on anything larger than a .243. I returned the XLT and Bushnell sent me another XLT. I gave the second one away. I sent in the second Aetec and specified REPAIR, DO NOT REPLACE and they repaired and returned it. It performs well today some five years later.
Outrider
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaPhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2015 at 19:58
Thanks guys.  I think I will send it in.  Would be great to get a 100% working scope back.    So basically it will cost me $10 and whatever it costs to ship it to them.  Hmmmmmm, should be worth it.  Thanks for all the advice.
silvrjeepr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvrjeepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2015 at 15:19
Let us know how you like what comes back. I may have to send my ole 44 mag off also.
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2015 at 13:49
sounds like a parallax problem mine's very clear throughout the mag range   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic