OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon EDG 10X42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon EDG 10X42
    Posted: June/05/2015 at 22:02

Has anyone got any experience, reviews or comments on these bins? Are they true Alpha Class? How is the edge sharpness?

I have the opportunity to pick up a demo pair for around $1100 and I want to make sure I am getting a good product.

I will be using them for western big game hunting glassing long open country.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2015 at 22:31

The EDG is truly alpha class in that it compares directly to the Swarovski EL SV.  It is field flattened, and as such has extremely low distortion and outstanding edge performance.

I have never found edge performance to matter that much myself, however, as I never spend much time evaluating detail at the FOV dge when in the field.

$1100 sounds like a great deal on a like-new demo.
-Matt
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2015 at 19:19

I have a 10x42, but unfortunately it is the EDG II.  I cannot tell you anything about the EDG, but I can say that the EDG II is definitely alpha class, much as the Swaro fanboys hate to admit.  The EDG II has the best focus wheel I have yet used in a 42mm bino, and I have tried binos from just about every make except Doctor and Kahles.  The only thing about them I don't like is the case, which is not as substantial as many other cases from the alpha makes.

Since I tend to center up whatever I am looking at when using a bino, I don't pay much attention to the edges.  I have yet to see any edge on any bino that was truly sharp anyway.

Since you can get a like-new demo EDG II for about $1k, I would not say that an $1100 EDG is a good buy.

ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2015 at 20:36
Well I have made my move..Just ordered a pair of Demo Nikon EDG II in a 10x42...Got them touch under $1100....Really excited to have my first true alpha binoculars!!!! If they are on par with the other Alphas, I will gladly trade Made in Japan for a $800-$1000 less.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2015 at 20:55
Question:  Would you guys qualify the EDG II focus as being fast, slow, in between, or what?  I've found I'm really able to wring out the last bit of sharpness with a slow focuser.  I've only see the original EDG, but understand the EDG II to be the same optically.  The one sample I messed with was truly world class, but i don't remember how fast the focus was.  Thanks.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2015 at 22:40

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Question:  Would you guys qualify the EDG II focus as being fast, slow, in between, or what? 

I would say it is in between.  Definitely  slower than a Zeiss Terra or Vanguard Endeavor, but not nearly as slow as a Z-R EDII or most porros.  I don't particularly care for a fast focuser (and really dislike the 42mm Terras), but I do like the EDG II's focus wheel quite a bit. It is the best of all the binos I own, as the speed and smoothness is just about perfect for me.

ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2015 at 23:03
So with these new bins I have ordered, I will be using them for western big game hunting in big country of Idaho...Will also be using these some on a Tripod. Excited, should be here end of this coming week!
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2015 at 10:02
Congrats!  Let us know what you think of them......
fishermanhunterguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishermanhunterguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 16:11
Quick question if a guy was to spend just under $1100 on these why wouldnt you get 10x42 Vortex Razors for that same price or maybe just a little less? Is it apples to apples? Or is one better?
If your not a liberal by 20 you have no heart. If your not a conservative by 30 you have no brain.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 16:56
The Razor is not quite alpha glass so if the EDG is, then it should be a better optic. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 18:23

Originally posted by fishermanhunterguy fishermanhunterguy wrote:

Quick question if a guy was to spend just under $1100 on these why wouldnt you get 10x42 Vortex Razors for that same price or maybe just a little less? Is it apples to apples? Or is one better?

The price you quoted for the EDG is for a demo model.  The normal price is over twice that.  This means that a new EDG is priced much higher than a new Razor.  And as one might reasonably expect, the EDG is a much better bino than the Razor.  Or to put it another way -- a mid-level bino will not be as good as a high-level bino.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishermanhunterguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 20:44
That is very debateable. Some people like Razor's better than Swaro's and some like Leica better than Zeiss and like Leica over Razor's etc etc etc. Razors are high end glass you just dont pay for it as much like the others.  They are all high end and some like others over others for whatver reasons. Its all opinions my friend.  
If your not a liberal by 20 you have no heart. If your not a conservative by 30 you have no brain.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 21:01
Well fisherman, I will respectfully disagree with you, and agree with Phil.  My good buddy has a retail gun shop here and carries the Razor, Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Meopta, and Leupold stuff.  While the razor is very nice, it's not in the same class as a top end Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss.   It is competitive with the Conquest HD, and Meopta HD, but I'd buy either one over the Razor.  These 3 are a great value no doubt, but not quite elite level binoculars. 

You only have yourself to please, so buy what you like and enjoy it.  You certainly won't see more game through a SV than you will a Razor, but a Swaro SV is head and shoulders a better binocular IMO.   

If it weren't for a 90 day warranty that a refurbished Nikon EDG carries, I'd own one in a heartbeat. 
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 21:56

Originally posted by fishermanhunterguy fishermanhunterguy wrote:

That is very debateable. Some people like Razor's better than Swaro's and some like Leica better than Zeiss and like Leica over Razor's etc etc etc. Razors are high end glass you just dont pay for it as much like the others.  They are all high end and some like others over others for whatver reasons. Its all opinions my friend.  

Actually, to those who have great experience with binoculars, it is not debatable at all. Obviously you have not used both.  If you had, *and* knew how to evaluate a binocular, then you would know there is a significant gap in performance between the two.  I own both (and will soon be getting rid of the Razor), so I have actual first-hand knowledge of them both.  Razors are not high-end glass.  Never were, and never will be.  Probably why Vortex does not price them as high-end glass, and they are certainly smart enough to not promote them as alpha-level glass.   Kinda like comparing a Camaro to a Corvette.  If you think a Camaro is as good as a Corvette, then you don't know automobiles either.

But certainly the Razor is an excellent bino......

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishermanhunterguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 09:21
All I'm saying is you can spend more but you might not always get more Wink
But at that price you got them for that is a great deal!
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 15:51
I'll be a Spin Dr here... I believe the upper end Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, et al are better than the Razor. But the question the individual has to answer -- are they $1500 or $2000 better? For me the answer is no (though I own a Swaro). But if you can pay the price for alpha glass and not miss it, by all means,  proceed.

Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 18:10
Originally posted by ahiaring ahiaring wrote:

Has anyone got any experience, reviews or comments on these bins? Are they true Alpha Class? How is the edge sharpness?

I have the opportunity to pick up a demo pair for around $1100 and I want to make sure I am getting a good product.

I have had the 10x42 EDG since July 2009, when they first came out, so I do have

some experience.  They are a very nice binocular, great handling, a bright, flat field view and

just do everything well.  The focuser is as smooth as silk and just the right speed, better than

the Swaro.  You can read more about how they are reviewed on the Allbinos

website, I agree with their findings.  That demo. price is a bargain, I would go ahead.

By the away, I also own the 8.5x42 SV, and they are nice also, both will done.

Edit:  After reading the other posts I see you did order them.  Be sure to let us know how you like

the EDG.

Edited by NDhunter - June/10/2015 at 18:15
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 18:47

Originally posted by Whitefire Whitefire wrote:

I'll be a Spin Dr here... I believe the upper end Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, et al are better than the Razor. But the question the individual has to answer -- are they $1500 or $2000 better? For me the answer is no (though I own a Swaro). But if you can pay the price for alpha glass and not miss it, by all means,  proceed.

Wf

For me - the answer to your question is also no.  No question that the EDG is better than the Razor, but IMO the already excellent Razor is the better buy, as long as one considers the regular retail price.  And although I can easily afford $2.4k for a bino, I just don't see the need to spend that much money when you can get such a nice pair of binos such as the Razor for so much less.

OTOH - I spent $999 for a demo 10x42 EDG II that is indistinguishable from new, so since it is a much better bino than my 10x Razor, I will be selling the Razor as soon as I can get a picture of it.  No doubt I would have been equally happy with a Swaro EL or Zeiss FL or Leica UV, but the Nikon is making reeeeeally happy right now.......

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 18:53
😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 20:05
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Originally posted by ahiaring ahiaring wrote:

I have had the 10x42 EDG since July 2009, when they first came out, so I do have

some experience.  They are a very nice binocular, great handling, a bright, flat field view and

just do everything well.  The focuser is as smooth as silk and just the right speed, better than

the Swaro.  You can read more about how they are reviewed on the Allbinos

website, I agree with their findings.  That demo. price is a bargain, I would go ahead.

By the away, I also own the 8.5x42 SV, and they are nice also, both will do.

Edit:  After reading the other posts I see you did order them.  Be sure to let us know how you like

the EDG.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic