OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thermal hog hunting video with LoneStarBoars and t
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thermal hog hunting video with LoneStarBoars and t

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermal hog hunting video with LoneStarBoars and t
    Posted: June/03/2015 at 20:32
had a blast this past weekend!

(activated hyperlink)

Edited by Kickboxer - June/03/2015 at 21:06
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2015 at 10:50
I would offer one note to those not initiated to hog hunting in the South: hogs are destructive, they are mean and dangerous, and land owners generally treat them with disdain.  In the video, there is a general lack of respect shown to the animal, it is not like hunting game animals, more like hunting a varmint that spreads disease and destruction.  That is not a criticism of the hunters, just a clarification for those that have never been around feral hogs.

Thermal is fun, it makes target identification much easier than with a PVS14.  The 2 technologies go hand-in-hand, and a good operation needs some of both to be effective - and safe.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2015 at 11:54
After seeing first hand what they can do to a neighborhood I have no problems with anyway they want to take them out! I'm to cheap for a thermal scope so I'm going with the ATN X-sight.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
NW425 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NW425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 00:40
I was wondering if this was shot with an ATN x-sight, I just posted a thread asking about it in the tactical scopes section.

However I am not familiar with the destruction of Southern Hogs, but knowing that sure did make the video easier to watch, although still not pretty.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 09:26
No, it was shot with a thermal optic, not a conventional amp tube optic.

I responded in your other thread and will respond here too, now that I know the optic in question.

On ATN, not just no, hell no!  A few here have ATN optics that work (and if I recall correctly, it took several failures to finally get one that worked) and even those are not considered high quality.  ATN sells bells and whistles, not quality optics.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 12:08
This was shot with a FLIR RS64
agree on ATN
garbage

We had FLIR, Armasight and IR-Defense out for this hunt.
Armasight was the favorite..

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 15:19

OK, I wouldn't go that far to say it's garbage, considering an R64 is over 10X the price of the X-sight.  As RC has mentioned, a couple of us own the x-sight. Now, I will say, maybe it's the Scot/Irish/Welsh blood of mine that makes me fugal (aka a "Cheap Bastard") but I tend to "make do" with what's on the market. Both Dan (Kickboxer) and I own the 5-18, Dan had issues right out the gate with his and it took him 8 weeks to get it replaced.  I bought the 3-12 first, had issues with it shutting down under recoil and not focusing past 50 meters. Changed to the 5-18 (6wks later)  and with that came another problem, it's limited field of view close up. It does have a ton of bells an whistles one really doesn't need but what the heck. One concern is the software package was never really debugged, so your living thru a constant beta tester mode.  Again, I'm okay with that to a point, I want to see the technology succeed. Unless your willing to shell out some serious coin for something that's going to sit mainly in your gun safe, it will work with limitations.  The IR illuminator that comes with it is good for maybe 150 yards, most shots I'm going to be making will be 100 yards and in.  Day mode, the scope is grainy as all get out zoomed in and it will fatigue your eye's, think video game within 6 inches of the screen.  I have not been able to get out hunting with it yet, my work schedule and Grandpa duties have had me out of the woods. I may rectify that issue one night this weekend. Would I buy one again? let me get a couple of hunts in with one and I'll come back an tell you. 

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic