OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Zeiss VM/V Tacticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Zeiss VM/V Tacticle
    Posted: July/15/2004 at 01:09

SAKO 75, I thought you may be interested in this.  I picked up a Gun World magazine today and one of their feature articles was on the new Zeiss VM/V 3-12x56mm Tacticle Scope, I had never seen it.  They actually compare it against the Schmidt & Bender PMII that you like.  Obviously the article is little biased toward Zeiss so I didn't put too much stock in the comparisons.  But, I thought you may be interested in seeing it.  They even mention Schott glass in the article.  Ranburr, I already know what you think of magazine articles in general and I agree with you, but I thought you may be interested in seeing it as well.  Take care.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2004 at 01:40

Thanks for the info.  Don't get me wrong, I read them all.  I just get a little disgusted when you see so much obvious crapola as we have all discussed here.  Now I just have to find out why my local stores have apparently stopped seling "Gun World".

ranburr

SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2004 at 05:03
thanks tbone i'll see if i can find it
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 15:37

Does it look like this?

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 16:17
That is it Chris.  Retail price was $2499.00 according to the article.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 16:54

Zeiss Diavari V 3-12x56 T* Long Range / Sniper

Zeiss called us a while back and asked if we would be interested in buying their complete inventory of a project scope for the military.  For some reason the deal between Zeiss and the military did not work out and Zeiss had decided not to continue with the project.  The units that were made at that time were the only ones that would ever be made.  So I was very surprised to hear that you saw one in an article.  I must assume that it was submitted while there were plans to still make the scope.

When we received them they came with the accessories pictured but no instructions.  No one at Zeiss seemed to know anything about this scope and could not tell us what the bullet drop dial was calibrated for.  It has a first plane mil dot reticle with a stair step bracket system at the bottom.  The adjustments are 1.5cm at 100 meters.  Finally we got a 17 page document telling all about it.  There were going to be two versions, one .308 in .54 " adjustments marked out to 656 yards (600 meters) and a .338 Lapua version with .9" clicks (2.5cm) marked out to 1532 yards (1400 meters).  It has 65 inches of reticle travel.  One of the coatings is a Class L3 laser filter.  I am pretty sure the Finnish army uses this scope on their TRG-42's in .338 Lapua.

Look closely at the center saddle section and you can see how they got so much travel out of the reticle.

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 22:36

Thanks Chris for the info.  The article implied that they were introducing it to the public. They quote "Carl Zeiss entering the U.S. tactical market is very good news indeed for the serious professional and long range shooter".  They tested this scope against a S&B PM II.  It was a fairly informative article about the scope aside from the comparisons that they made.  I will quote what they wrote about the BDC just to elaborate on what you have already said.

" Of interest, though, is the fact that it also employs a BDC with full elevation available in one revolution.  The scope we received was set up for .308 168-grain HPBT Match ammunition, although they also offer a BDC for the .338 Lapua.  Interestingly the elevation turret features two rows of numbers.  The top row is calibrated in 50-meter increments from 100-600 meters.  This is your BDC.  To use, simply rotate the turret to the range you are shooting at.  This system is simple and fast, especially under stress, with no chance of being one full rotation off.  For more precision the bottom of the turret is marked from 0-79 in 1.5 cm (approximately .54 MOA) increments.  This allows a marksman to precisely dial in the required come-ups for a shot.  Total elevation adjustment is 64.8 inches at 100 yards.  This is more than enough to take a .308 out to 1,000 yards.  Windage adjustments are in 1cm clicks."

Another interesting quote was,

"The reticle is photo engraved onto glass rather than being wire.  This eliminates the possibility of reticle failure.  The reticle itself is the standard mildot, but with a twist.  Located in the lower FOV is a choke-style rangefinder calibrated to range a 1 meter target from 400 to 1,200 yards."

I am faxing a copy of the article to SAKO75.  If you are interested, I would be glad to fax you a copy as well.  If you would like to pick it up, it is in the August 2004 issue of "GUN WORLD".  SAKO75, feel free to post the info that I sent you if anyone is interested.  Have a good weekend everyone.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2004 at 14:40

Yes please do fax over a copy to my attention.

972-617-1647 - FAX

Many thanks

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2004 at 01:41

Chris and Sako75, sorry about the delay but I had to go out of town for several days.  I tried to get it to you before I left but did'nt get a chance.  Anyway I faxed it tonight.  Let me know if you have any problems recieving it.  Take care.

Tbone1

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2004 at 11:00

Got it...thanks.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2004 at 13:56

I think the article must have been written before Zeiss decided to scrap the deal in the U.S.  I just found out that they imported a total of 5 of these scopes and as far as Zeiss knows we have the only two for sale to the public.

Zeiss VMV 3-12x56 Sniper.....$1999.99

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2004 at 15:51
Only one left now.
clmboss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clmboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2004 at 14:41
Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2004 at 20:39
hey clm boss that mount on that scope in case u were wondering is this one http://www.cdnninvestments.com/blitstanmoun.html i cannot i dentify the rings however u could get that mount hunt down the rings and put a conquest on it for much cheaper than that piece up there^ that scope will probably set u back at least 2500 us
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic