OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon fieldscope ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon fieldscope ???
    Posted: July/23/2006 at 21:14

As mentioned in a previous thread I need a scope for scouting game.

I have been looking hard at the nikon fieldscope due to its supposed ease of digiscoping.

Anyway, I need a scope for judging whitetails up to 1000 yards.

Does the ED glass make any difference for this purpose?

If I were to buy the fieldscope (60 mm), what would be the best eyepiece for this scope and for this use?

Thanks

J

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2006 at 08:29

I don't digiscope myself, but my amigo does and i've learned a few tricks. 

For digiscoping you need a wide angle/low magnification/fixed magnification eyepiece - and the attachements/brackets/etc.

For the Fieldscope 60mm that would be the eyepieces 6954 and 7463 on the riflescopes.com list. Either way, stay with fixed power wide angle, that will work for digiscoping and spotting game.

25x should be enough to judge deer at 1000 yards, but i've never judged deer with a spotting scope, i usually do that with a spoon, fork, and knife.  If you can use naked eye to judge at 50 yards, then 50 x 25 = 1250 yards.

The ED objective will reduce color fringing and will give you nicer pictures. However, you can remove that fringing and improve your pictures with some software that i know nothing about.

When spotting deer, the ED objective will give you a "cleaner", sharper image, but you will notice that depending on light and weather and the objects that you are looking at. 

Either way, the ED does make a difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic