OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SWFA SS 10x42M Tactical Riflescope Questions.....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 10x42M Tactical Riflescope Questions.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 10x42M Tactical Riflescope Questions.....
    Posted: May/24/2015 at 10:10
I’m looking to get a scope for my AR 6.5 Grendel build, I've been looking at these 2 scopes, my question is will they both be good from say 50yds out to 500? I’m looking to get something to hunt white tail with & might need to take a shot at 50yds or who knows maybe 400.

1. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tactical-Riflescope-P53713.aspx

2. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P78365.aspx

One other question i have is, can anyone recommend this mount?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SSALT-30mm-Scope-Mount-P58814.aspx

IF the weapon happens to get dropped or falls over for whatever reason, will it still hold zero?

Thanks in advance.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 10:45
I own both scopes and the mount. All 3 will serve you well.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Christopher67 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 11:00
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I own both scopes and the mount. All 3 will serve you well.

So the 1-4x24 will be good out to 500yds?
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 11:13
Mine is on my 10.5 in. 300 blkout, I'll have to go over to our 500 yrd range an give it a good, but I'd say it would. Can you hit steel at 500 with steel sights? Why would you not with 4 power?
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 11:27
Weaver super slam euro has an illuminated number 4 reticle and a 1.5-6 range. Can find on clearance for under other ones looking at.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 14:02

Mine is on my 10.5 in. 300 blkout, I'll have to go over to our 500 yrd range an give it a good, but I'd say it would. Can you hit steel at 500 with steel sights? Why would you not with 4 power?

Nice, How about the 10x42 @ 100yds? Is the 10x42 mean't for long range shooting only? Like 300-400+?
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 14:35
No the 10X focuses down well, I have shot targets from 10 yards to 1K with it without a lick of trouble. I've never really dropped 1 but know someone here who ran over his with a Z71 Chevy without losing zero.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 14:39
I wouldn't want a fixed 10 power for hunting. This will severely limit your field of view, would make woods hunting not easy, and if you have close shots it will be a handicap. Fixed 4 power might work, but variable will enable use in a multitude of situations in your range.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 14:49
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

I wouldn't want a fixed 10 power for hunting. This will severely limit your field of view, would make woods hunting not easy, and if you have close shots it will be a handicap. Fixed 4 power might work, but variable will enable use in a multitude of situations in your range.

This is what i was thinking also, maybe this would be the better choice?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

Although this one seems nice too lol.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53711.aspx

I guess im looking for a middle of the road type scope, that will do well in the woods at 50-100yds as well as shooting across a clearing at say 400yds if need be. All this without spending $1,000, scope & mount included lol. Big Smile

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 15:25
I just watched this, interesting....

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 15:27
I've used 10x for hunting, exclusively for a time, and never had a problem at "close" ranges.  6x is "better" for the shorter ranges, but 10x is like anything else… you need to practice with it at the ranges you might encounter and consider taking a shot, learn what things look like close and far… be prepared.  
No doubt a variable can give you an advantage… if it is at the right power at the right time, or if you have time to adjust.  If a close range shot is so "fast" that you can't make it with a 10x, you had better be on the right power with a variable…  Practice….
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 15:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fe4l_CAthI

Couldn't edit the above post.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 15:32
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I've used 10x for hunting, exclusively for a time, and never had a problem at "close" ranges.  6x is "better" for the shorter ranges, but 10x is like anything else… you need to practice with it at the ranges you might encounter and consider taking a shot, learn what things look like close and far… be prepared.  
No doubt a variable can give you an advantage… if it is at the right power at the right time, or if you have time to adjust.  If a close range shot is so "fast" that you can't make it with a 10x, you had better be on the right power with a variable…  Practice….

I agree, how does one edit a post?
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 15:35
You need more than 50 post to edit I think.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 15:36

You need more than 50 post to edit I think.

Aaah ok, thank you.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 17:21
A ton of quality 3-9s out there if you want more on that end, I think many would tell you the 3-15 you mentioned would be great, but it might be overkill for what you are looking to do. If you might want to do some paper punching or longer range work that would be where that model might shine. If you are strictly hunting close to mpbr a meopta, vx3, or a number of others around $400 would do what you are looking for in my opinion.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 17:42
SS 3-9x.....Your all done. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 19:22
Awesome, thanks everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic