OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Identification please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identification please
    Posted: May/11/2015 at 01:21
Hi,

I bought a set of binoculars which have a range of 168x.
When I received the binoculars, it shows the following...

12x-36x70  zoom 144ft/1000yds at 12x.
The brand on the item says CANIS LATRANS.

Question.. based on this information, does this set of binoculars reach a range up to 168x.??

thanks

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 10:22
If you can see me waving at you from my porch here in Texas maybe it really does.   
Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 13:53
Laugh
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 14:07
Canis latrans is the scientific name for the Coyote.

I have no idea what you mean by a range of 168.  The Range listed is for the 12-36 x magnification of those binoculars.  That means they magnify (allegedly) 12 times (12x) at the low end and 36 times (allegedly) at the high end.  That's it (maybe).  There is no 168 anything there.

Friends don't let friends buy Zoom binoculars.  http://www.bigbinoculars.com/nozooms.htm

Whatever you paid was too much.

I'll give you credit for not being a troll right off the bat.  Maybe I'm right, maybe not.  Something about Canis Latrans is fishy.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

James61 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 21:04
hi all,

please visit this site..it shows that the binoculars have 168x.

http://www.innovations.com.au/p/electronics/gadgets-gifts/zoom-binoculars
Phangs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phangs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 22:49
The web site you provided does say 168x, though it could be a misprint or a bold face lie. Or maybe the person doing the person doing the write up has no idea what they are doing...
Acker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2015 at 11:45

Never heard of "Canis Latrans" sounds like some sort of Dog infection? But there again, we in the UK have not heard of most things.

As Klamath says, "don't buy zoom binoculars." If they go wrong.......?

168x times what? Sounds like a misprint.

As a new guy from over the pond could I just HI! To everyoneHowdy

J.E.ATKINS
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2015 at 16:05
James,

A belated welcome to OT.  A place to ask questions first and buy later Big Smile.

For some reason the term "coyote" is generally one of negative connotation.  It likely fits in the case of the binocular in question.  I see you are in Australia.  Since you don't have Coyotes there they are a native wild dog here.  The are closest in analogy to the Dingo.

I answered your PM.  Please read it again.  Please don't hesitate to ask questions.  That is the only way to get an answer. Big Smile

I hope there is some enjoyment in those things.

To Acker, another welcome to OT. Big Smile

Edited by Klamath - May/12/2015 at 16:11
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Acker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 03:52

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY  taken the Springfield rifle scope 6-20x56 (with spirit level) apart?

The micro wires attached to the prism illuminator inside have come adrift so I want to reattach them. I have got as far as removing the eye piece assembly but cannot pull out the tube with the zoom and reticle. I tried from the objective end but it did not allow access to the optics. I have had both zero controls of but no access, taken the rheostat and battery control of but still no access. Removed the tension spring and plunger. Getting the zoom optics tube out is the only solution but it does not move,Whacko other than woggle about. HELP!

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 09:15
For ACKER   Had you not taken it apart you could send it back for repairs. Tampering with the seals voids all warranties. It takes special tools and equipment to disassemble and reassemble a rifle scope. NOT FOR AMATEURS. Contact the manufacturer and maybe they will help you. This should be under Riflescopes rather in a binocular thread.

Edited by 3_tens - May/13/2015 at 09:20
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Acker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 10:51

Yeah, quite right did all that first only to find it is out of any warranty, as Springfield scopes are no longer in business. 

The cost of sending it Smileto a technician (had a quote of £200)  is to much for us AOP so it has to be a DIY job and the nitrogen seals have since long gone.

Would have hoped for a more constructive response but that's because I should have put under the riflescope section. Sorry! Can I transfer it?

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2015 at 05:29
No biggie....budperm posts things all the time that should be posted in the dumpster.   

Shocked

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2015 at 05:47
Originally posted by Acker Acker wrote:

Yeah, quite right did all that first only to find it is out of any warranty, as Springfield scopes are no longer in business. 

The cost of sending it Smileto a technician (had a quote of £200)  is to much for us AOP so it has to be a DIY job and the nitrogen seals have since long gone.

Would have hoped for a more constructive response but that's because I should have put under the riflescope section. Sorry! Can I transfer it?

If you contact Springfield Armory, they will send you contact information for the company that took over warranty/all service for the SA scopes.  Since you have voided the warranty, you will probably be charged.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic