OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wilson Combat 2-stage AR Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wilson Combat 2-stage AR Trigger
    Posted: May/10/2015 at 22:07
Does anyone here have experience with the Wilson Combat 2-stage AR trigger and if so what are your thoughts on this unit?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 05:44
I have the WC single stage unit. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 10:20
Mileage varies, but I had a Wilson TTU a few years back that went full-auto on me.  As I looked around on a few forums, other shooters said they had experienced the same thing.  I avoid Wilson triggers now.

Many love them, have had no issues; I liked mine, but don't trust them any more.  And trust, once lost...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 10:28
I only had a Geissele... it was trouble free.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 13:44
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I have the WC single stage unit. 

Me too, no issues.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 15:17
My BIL was shooting my AR with WC single stage trigger.....goes F/A for about 5 rounds or so with me and my nephew standing right be side him. I've tried, tried, and tried to replicate...and it did not repeat for me. Several hound rounds went down range....nothing.  

Bill Wilson got wind of my incident, told me to send it back and he would check it out and I never did because I couldn't get it to go wonky on me. 
It's a GREAT trigger IMHO. 
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2015 at 23:43
The reason I asked is because I have one of the Wilson 2-stage triggers from when they first became available that has put about 800 rounds down range through two different rifles.  I had heard rumors of full auto firing but had not experienced this until two weeks ago.  While shooting my 6.5 Grendel it went full auto.  Foruntately we were in the boonies and the remaining round count in the magazines was low so no harm done.  However, as RacidCoolaid noted, it was not confidence inspiring and I am reluctant to shoot it at my local range.  Wilson has not responded to my email so I will call tomorrow to see what they say and post a follow up when resolved.    Thanks for your input.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 05:17
Keep us advised, if you please. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 08:46
All my ARs run Geissele triggers, and I am pleased.

I won't drag Wilson through the mud, but I don't buy from them any more, too many issues with too many items, and way too many great options on the market now.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 11:59
I hear you on that issue.  The trigger is the last Wilson Combat item I have purchased, other than 1911 magazines from a local shop, and was the third of three poor customer service experiences I have had dealing directly with them.  The G triggers were not as widely known when I bought the Wilson but would now be my hands down choice after shooting a couple a friend owns.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 12:09
I have been slowly, but surely switching all my ARs to Geissele trigger.  My 458SOCOM still has the Rock River NM, but the rest are from Geisselle: one DMR and the rest are SSA-E.

Couldn't be happier with them.

ILya
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 16:03
I have 3 of the Wilson Combat single stage, all of mine were set at 3lbs from the factory.
All have a lot of use on them and the oldest is probably 6 years old.
Zero issues with any of them and they are my preferred trigger.

my $.02
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 16:38
Well, suffice to say there's good reason to be concerned with the safety of these triggers. I LOVE Wilson Combat stuff in general, but this is concerning at least for me. 

CS was trying to correct my problem, but I thought I'd just stick it out and haven't had any problems since, so that's on me. I'm not entirely sure it wasn't my brother in law, but I don't know either.    
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 17:17
Brothers-in-law are generally a PITA, but what could he possibly do that would make it go FA???  I guess if you really don't like him, you could turn him in to BATF.   However… they would take your rifle, too...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 18:12
Hahaha...my BIL is cool, I'm just at a loss as to why it did what it did and furthermore, why I failed to replicate his experience after trying.  
If it had happened to MOI, I'd be a little more inclined to blame JUST the trigger. At any rate, it seems there's a little more fire than smoke going on with these triggers.  

1911 Man been around lately?? Is that Bill Wilson's call sign? 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 19:41
I've got a BIL you can substitute… actually… maybe a couple… I'll testify...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2015 at 09:34
I haven't seen Bill around in awhile.

The first time it happened on me, it was a 6.8 upper shooting high pressure rounds, I figured maybe it just slapped me harder than I expected.  I took that upper off and put on a 10.5" 223 upper with a suppressor, and it did it again on that lower (never had it happen on any other lower.)  I happened to be with a guy that is a carbine instructor, he took the gun and fired, it did okay for a few rounds then burst about 5 rounds before it stopped.  The mag did not dump, but it burst 5 rounds on him.

That was it, out it came, off it went.  Wilson replaced it, told me they would look into it.  I got a new trigger, never heard a word on what went wrong, the replacement trigger was sold - with full disclosure of the prior's ills.

I was displeased with the trigger, for sure; but just as displeased that:
1.  The problem is well documented online with several users experiencing the same issue.
2.  The tech support guy acted like it must be my fault because he had never heard of this happening elsewhere.

I understand that the initial assumption has to be "the end user is stupid", else they would be replacing perfectly serviceable gear constantly; however, there are almost always ways to tell if the guy or girl knows what he/she is talking about.  In my most humble of opinions, someone who just paid $200 for a trigger should be given some benefit of any doubt.  If only some.

I shall let that be the end of my discourse on this matter, and shall not bring up my other few grievances with Wilson Combat.  I still have a few of their 1911 mags, but that's it, no other WC gear in my house. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2015 at 10:37
It's my understanding that Bill Wilson and his wife retired from WC and is now spending his time at his ranch in NE TX, near where I grew up. He has a bunch of hunting land up there and offers pay hunts for hogs and possibly deer. It's also my understanding that he turned over operation of the company to, I believe, his son. If not his son, it was a younger relative whose last name is also Wilson.

Due to the design of AR triggers, a true single stage is technically not safe. You need a certain amount of take up in an AR trigger to ensure safety, for reasons I won't go into here, because it would take too much typing to describe. In fact, most triggers designated "single stage" are actually 2-stage triggers, it's just that the first takeup stage is short and not very perceptible, so it's called a single stage.

The reason I'm a big fan of the American Trigger Co "AR Gold" trigger is because it has a secondary intercepting sear that catches the hammer in the event the primary sear doesn't engage, making it a very safe trigger, while at the same time, a "single stage" (although I believe it's still technically a 2-stage) trigger with very short take up and the shortest reset you can get. With the intercepting sear, it's supposedly not possible for it to FA on you. I've never heard any reports of that happening with the AR Gold. I've compared it head to head with Geiselles and I believe it's a superior trigger. It certainly has a shorter reset than the Geiselles. It's set at 2.5 lbs or so, and it feels like a very good 1911 trigger. Plus, it's a self-contained unit like the WC and Timney, so you aren't constrained by the positional tolerances of the trigger pin holes in the lower assy, and therefore, it's possible to make trigger pull more consistent from unit to unit. The only disadvantage is it's pretty expensive, on par with or slightly more than a Geiselle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2015 at 10:43
RC-I agree.  Wilson makes some great products but they don't have the customer service culture many other small companies have.  The original exchange on this trigger left me without for almost 45 days.  I wrote a letter to Ryan which got read at a staff meeting but after waiting on the phone yesterday for 6 and 9 minutes on two calls and still not getting through I am again exasperated.  Obviviously they must be concerned with the liability issue and BATFE so I expect that when I get through to someone it will be a conversation similar to yours as in they have never of this before.  I'll play the game and hopefully get my money back or a new packaged trigger I can sell and replace with a Geissele.  My shooting buddy just bought a new Wilson AR with 2-stage trigger that routinely shoots below .50 MOA with quality factory ammo.  Needless to say is worried about the full auto issue as he should be.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2015 at 22:04
Update on WC AR Trigger:  A rep from WC returned my call today and offered three options, exchange for a new trigger, full price credit at Wilson Combat or refund.  There was no surprise act or attempted denial of the issue which I appreciated.  I will decide by Monday between exchange and refund.  I've used a lot of WC products over the years with great results so I am leaning toward replacement.  If a new trigger does the same thing I know they stand behind their products and I will get a refund and move on.  Again, I appreciate everyone's input.

Ira
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic