OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Hot Shots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Photo Contest #15 May --Transportation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photo Contest #15 May --Transportation
    Posted: May/08/2015 at 09:04

I have picked the subject of transportation for the month of May and it can  have anything to do with it.  Examples- Cars, trucks , planes ,trains, and wagons. Really anything that might tranport something. Good Luck !

Edited by Skylar McMahon - June/02/2015 at 08:11
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 09:06
Nice subject matter Kevin. I have an idea of what I want to do.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 10:06
I may have to play on this one.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 10:11
Good theme, Kevin!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 10:13
That's funny. I was thinking of the same topic yesterday.
Of course this is NOT eligibleBig Grin
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 10:14
Did you shoot that yesterday? Cool picture!

-edit- Disregard, I see where you post not eligible.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 10:16
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Did you shoot that yesterday? Cool picture!

No. That was from the 2006 Blunder Over Looneyville Air Show. Taken a day or two before the show.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 10:16
Made a Sticky for the photo section.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 09:57
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 12:26
Hey Ted, you take that on location?Big Grin
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 12:51
Absolutely, Lynn!

...on location at the museum displays in the NASA Space Center - Houston visitor center.

I converted the photo to black and white because I thought it looked more real, and I liked the retro / historical vibe it gave. The blue and purple colored lighting on the display made it look too fake.

Ted

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 12:55
It made it look more Era correct to me in B&W, because I'm assuming this from one of the Apollo missions.

Great picture! Excellent
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 13:25
Yes, that is a scene from Apollo 17, with astronauts Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt. The Lunar Roving Vehicles (LRV, shown) wasn't used on the moon until Apollo 15. Three of them were brought to the moon, 1 each on A15, 16, and 17. All 3 remain in different locations on the moon to this day.

On this mission, Cernan and Schmitt did what was called the "Surface Electrical Properties" experiment, which I believe is what they're shown doing in that photo. This experiment involved transmitting electrical signals between a transmitting antenna, the ground, and a receiving antenna on the LRV. This was done to determine the composition of the moon soil.

Although they did have color photography then and did take color photos and videos on the moon on the later Apollo missions, when I think of the space missions of the early 1970's, I think B&W.
Ted

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 13:36
Ted, thank you for sharing, I didn't know that is how they conducted such test, by radio testing. Very interesting.

Really, color then, huh? So many things are exhibited in B&W back then, just seemed more accurate that you shot in B&W.  Cool

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 13:49
Oh, a little trivia about the LRV...

On that Apollo 17 mission, astronauts Cernan and Schmitt traveled the furthest distance on the moon with the LRV vs the previous missions -- 22.3 miles total.

Cernan also owns the official moon land speed record with the LRV, at a scorching 11.2 mph!

The LRVs were built by a joint mfg team of Boeing and GM, at a total cost of $38 million. I believe that is the total cost of the LRV program, not the unit cost.
Ted

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 15:20
Get Your Popcorn Ready Very Interesting!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 17:28
Hey.....is that star jockey on the left running a jack hammer?? Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 18:30
Haha! I think it's some kind of cosmic drill used to insert some kind of test instrument into the moon soil, but not totally sure. I didn't read all the plaques in front of the displays.
Ted

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 18:53
Looks like #4 rebar to me, but what do I know. Probably just for looks. 

GREAT "pitcher takin" skillz, my friend.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 13:36

I think this qualifies as transportation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic