OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

It is finally together...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budbeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It is finally together...
    Posted: July/21/2006 at 22:29
Just before it was announced that Winchester was discontinuing the Model 70 I put a sweet Win. Mod. 70 Stealth 22-250 on layaway. I had it paid off in four weeks and it has sat under my bed waiting for the right optical setup. While it was waiting for eyes I gave it legs in the form of a Harris Bipod, and some nice hands (to cradle the optics) in the form of Badger Ordinance 30mm rings and rail.

Well a call from a friend to go visit a prarie dog town in Wyoming got the blood pumping and a scope had to be found. After a long and exhausting search a beautiful Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50 with mil-dot recticle and side focus now sits on top of my Winny.

The screws were tightened last night and the barrel was worked over in the anticipation of a range day Saturday followed by a couple of dog days.

Man I hope this thing shoots as good as it looks!

Go ahead and run, you'll only die tired.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 00:49

Budbeater (I like this screen name) It sounds like a WINNER. I recommend a little Demon Rum before breaking it in.

Let us know how you do.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 11:44

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
hotshot110 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotshot110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2006 at 14:56
Good post bud i'm doing the same thing. Two week's ago i strolled into my local gun shop looking for a hand gun and i spotted a used win stealth 308 that i just had to have as soon as i get it off layaway i'll post some pics.
Budbeater View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budbeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2006 at 13:46
Sorry, no pics yet, but trust me it is a thing of beauty!

The weekend has been a raging success! I spent 9 hours at the range on Saturday to get this system broken inand reasonably sighted. One shot and clean (several cleaners including bio-diesel, brake cleaner, nitro solvent and copper solvent), one shot and clean, one shot-clean-polish-clean-polish...... Repeated for 20 rounds followed by three shot groups + cleaning cycle for another 20 rounds, followed by five shot groups for another 20 rounds! Tedious yes, but worth the effort!

The results were impressive for an out of the box system driven by a low skill fool like myself. I used several types of higher quality ammo to see what the gun might like so that I can develop a hand load for the system. I used Federal Sierra BTHP in 55g, Hornady Ballistic Tip 55g, Winchester Silvertip 55g, and at last minute I bought some less expensive Winchester white box varmint hollowpoints 55g. Everything shot very well through the gun. The range temperatures were not good for gun cooling (100+ degrees) but I guess that kept barrel temperature more consistent. All of the ammunition was grouping well, but there was some significant operator error due to the excessivly heavy trigger (needs some work, I would like a break of about 32oz., but it currently feels like 5+ lbs). The fun thing was the gun best liked the less expensive Win. White box ammo better than most of the expensive types. The Win silvertip ballistic performed admireably well, it was the first time I have used this ammo (I prefer Federal Gold medal Match for sighting in my other guns, but that only comes in very limited calibers.) The Federal Sierra BTHP did well, but not as well as expected, I want to try their ballistic tip 22-250. The Hornady seemed to not group as consistently, but that could be operator error as we are talking about MOA or smaller groups with everything but the Hornady. I think that with trigger work all of the ammo would produce about 1/2-3/4 MOA groups in this gun.

The Burris Black Diamond was amazing! I sighted in at 15 power as recommended by Burris and then I tested the Zero by increasing and decreasing the magnification. It seemed to hold very well. More range time will determine that, but it seemed to do well. The real test on the scope was the outing to disrupt the Prarie Dog population of western Wyoming. On a very hot day (90-100 degrees) with significant mirage potential by the afternoon, the Burris shined all day long! I recorded hits on targets out to about 500m. I did not attempt longer shots. The magnification and clarity of the optics made the little furry vermin seem much larger than they really were! I especially enjoyed the clarity of the side focus! It was so crisp that I could range within 25m just by adjusting the focus. There did seem to be a slight loss of crispness at 24X but I am just being super picky.

All in all I think this system will be a great tool for practicing my long distance skills without putting alot of expensive mileage on my Sako TRG-41

Bud
Budbeater View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budbeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2006 at 15:04
Well, I hit the range again Saturday for some more gun time and I am very pleased.

I was shooting 5 shot groups using just the two varieties of Win. ammo I mentioned in the earlier post. They are starting to hold very good and consistent groups. The trigger is still an issue, but I have a good trigger on the way that should be in the gun by next week. It is preset supposedly at a pound, but is more likely 24oz. With everything physically unchanged from the shooting the week before I was shooting groups that I could cover with my thumbnail (with the exception of the errant one shot caused by the damn trigger). In both of the silvertip groups I was shooting three shots into a single hole/three shots making one large ragged mess.

Getting better.

Bud
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2006 at 16:22

Good deal, Bud!!

Thanks for the report!!!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
John_JCB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John_JCB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2006 at 07:34

Sounds like you have a great set up there.

I came across this article on barrel break in that you all might find interesting:

4http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn_II.asp

Budbeater View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budbeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2006 at 13:49
Interesting article, but I find it flawed in several aspects.
1. Not all barrels are produced with the tolerances of the match grade finesse of Rock River etc.
2. Standard production tolerances leave variations in barrel diameter. Careful breaking in by cleaning and heat cycling helps to minimize these variations.
3. Moly breakins on bullets and barrel coatings are controversial at best.
4. My shooting partner is a metalurgist by profession so he has access to data that I trust when applied to the process of breaking in a rifle.
5. Another shooting partner was an Army Ranger Sniper and "contractor" who depended on the accuracy of his weapon system.

Our form of break-in is a sum total of the best observed techinques between shooter 4 and 5.

I'll let you know how this gun groups again in a couple of weeks.

Bud
John_JCB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John_JCB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2006 at 18:56
Based on the reading I have done barrel break in seems to be as controversial as audio equipment.  I have a feeling that the accuracy has more to do with how it is manufactured than anything else.  It would be nice to have a statistically valid sample of the same rifle to test a couple of theories but I do not see that happening at least to me.  I have a new Savage that is awaiting rings mount and a scope that I need to get to the range soon.  The scope is at home in a box and I am 1800 miles away working.  Maybe this weekend.  The one thing I like about the articles process is that is is a lot easier than what is normally done.  I would guess most shooters don't bother at all.  They go to the range fire a few to hit the paper and then try to get it sighted in.  20 or so rounds later they call it a day and clean their new rifle.   It will be interesting to hear how your groups progress as you  get more accustomed to your new setup.
Budbeater View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budbeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2006 at 16:41
Update:

I installed the trigger (16oz fixed single stage) on Friday night so that I could test drive the setup on Saturday.

On Saturday under similar humidity, temperature, time of day, and shooting from the same range I observed the following.

1. The rifle did not lose its zero even after being taken apart, trigger undone and re-installed.

2. With the new trigger I don't have to think about squeezing the shot, I just think about the sight picture and a hole magically appears where I want it to.

3. The system really likes the cheap Winchester Whitebox ammo.   It consistently out shoots any other ammo I feed the gun.

4. With the trigger change my groups shrank by about 50%. I am now shooting a single ragged hole (with the occasional "stupid me" hole) with the win White box ammo, and I am getting consistent sub MOA groups with Win Silvertip.

Time to look for some live fire testing!

Bud
John_JCB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John_JCB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2006 at 17:13
Just as I was getting ready for our Fall deer hunt I read this and want to get back out to the wide open spaces and hunt prarie dogs again.  I may get a chance to go to southern Idaho and try my hand at their whistlers and rock chucks.

It sounds like your new rifle is all you could hope for especially after the trigger upgrade.  My new varmint rifle is a Savage with the adjustable Accu-trigger and I hope at its lowest setting that my results can get close to yours.

I will be interested in hearing how well you do when the real field trial starts.  I found that a good range finder really helps when judging those long shots. 
Budbeater View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budbeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2006 at 19:31
I finally got off my butt and loaded up some pictures...
Budbeater View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budbeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2006 at 19:41
John, My brother bought a Savage (with Accu-Trigger) in .223 for Christmas last year. It is a very nice gun. My friends all swear by their Savages.
Budbeater View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budbeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2006 at 19:47
One more...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic