OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris XTRII or Sightron SIII? Please help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2015 at 20:46
Regardless of your camera, unless you are doing this in laboratory conditions with extremely careful set up, a picture through the scope will most certainly not be representative of the optical quality of the scope.

ILya
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2015 at 21:46
Got a question on the Burris, seems to share a whole lot of features as the Steiner Tac line: G2B reticle, 34mm tube, what appear in photos to be the same turrets and shape. Magnification ranges are different but one has to wonder if the scope isn't a rebranded or outsourced Steiner. Anyone able to shed light on this?
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2015 at 23:25

Originally posted by saltydog235 saltydog235 wrote:

Got a question on the Burris, seems to share a whole lot of features as the Steiner Tac line: G2B reticle, 34mm tube, what appear in photos to be the same turrets and shape. Magnification ranges are different but one has to wonder if the scope isn't a rebranded or outsourced Steiner. Anyone able to shed light on this?

My understanding is the Burris has Steiner guts and Japan glass, assembled in Phil. I'm going to give this scope a very fair shake, and if it's not what I'm looking for, I'll move onto something else.

I will do side by side comparisons with Swaro, Zeiss and NF and give my honest opinion

saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2015 at 07:31
Originally posted by kickin45 kickin45 wrote:

Originally posted by saltydog235 saltydog235 wrote:

My understanding is the Burris has Steiner guts and Japan glass, assembled in Phil. I'm going to give this scope a very fair shake, and if it's not what I'm looking for, I'll move onto something else.

I will do side by side comparisons with Swaro, Zeiss and NF and give my honest opinion

Yeah, I know that Burris is the Parent/Import partner of Steiner in the US, both held by Beretta.  Be interesting to see the two side by side and make a comparison.  Those scopes are almost identical.
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2015 at 13:33
I sold my Steiner, but may be able grab the Range Marshalls and put them side by side.
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2015 at 21:18
I'm entering the conversation a bit late, however, since I have some exhibit the SIII I feel compelled to share.

The SIII is decent scope as in the XTR, neither are top drawer.

I shoot long range with a Savage Ftr. I do not have a lot of experience, however, got the advice of a professional. I was presented with four choices including the two of inquiry. The nod went to the SIII because of price and reticle.

Pros - great value, clear (not Swaro, Night Force or upper end Leopold clear but clear) great ultra thin reticle.

Cons - angle blackout is fairly acute, however, for long distance shooting not a deal killer, contrast and resolution are a bit above average. A few more very minor cons none of which apply to shooting paper from 600 to 1000 yards.

Enough adjustment for 600 yards, not for 1000. I'll have to shim to make it work.

I didn't know if long range shooting would be in my life for long therefore the Savage FTR and the SIII. For about $2000, not $8000, I'm at the range.

It's a work in progress, we'll see what happens.

Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2015 at 21:23
Auto complete did a number on my post and I cannot edit on my phone, but I believe the central flow is at least somewhat understandable.
Wf
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2015 at 09:53
Thanks Fire.
Just for clarification to everyone, I do not expect this scope to have world class clarity. I DO expect it to be better than the scopes its intended to compete with, specifically the Viper PST. So many people told me to get a Viper. When I actually looked through one, I found myself asking what they see that I don't.
Anyway, if Swaro, Steiner, Zeiss S&B are glass at say 99 out of 100, I think Vortex Viper is about 87. I do expect the XTR or the SIII to be better than that. Let's say 90 or better
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2015 at 20:14
I'll go on record as saying the SIII falls above 90% if only slightly, my opinion only. My initial assessment of the Viper PST is the same as yours. Not bad but outclassed by at least a few mid entry optics in the long range category.

As deliberate as you are approaching the decision you should be fine with your final pick.

Wf
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2015 at 23:31
Got the scope yesterday. Not able to mount it yet because my 34mm rings haven't come in. I was able to look through it up to power 25 or so before my hand couldn't keep it steady. It is Definately better glass than any Vortex I've ever looked through. The turrets are very positive and not mushy at all. Very distinct and audible. I'll know a lot more once it's mounted, that of course is the real test of any scope.
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2015 at 20:42
Since you were leaning toward the Burris I assume it's the one you secured?
Wf
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2015 at 21:01
Yes. The Burris XTRII
beetroot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beetroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2015 at 01:53
What are your thoughts on the XTR II

kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2015 at 17:59

Sorry for the long delay. Re-barreled my rig into 6.5creedmoore. Now its a shooter.

Scope has served me very well so far. No major complaints.

Glass: I have come to the personal conclusion that the glass on this scope has the same depth and clarity as the Vortex Razor gen1.

It aint no Swaro or S&B, but it is very nice glass. Great visuals up to about 36 power on the zoom. Higher than that and the picture does start to lose clarity and structure. I would've liked to have seen a bigger bell than 50, especially with a 34mm tube. I think a 56mm bell, 52 minimum wouldve helped with light transmission at higher mag.

It tracks perfect. Nuff said

Turrets: Heres my only complaint so far about this scope. The turrets are very positive and have a nice distinct feel. but they are hella stiff!!!

My rig weighs in at 21#'s with this scope on it. When I have this in a benchrest, turning the turrets will actually move the entire gun. A lot!

I'd like to try and loosen the turrets a bit, add some grease or something, but I fear bleedthrough to my lenses. (Never tried it before)

Build quality: Built like a tank. This thing is massive

Any specific questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them

verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2015 at 03:16
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

I shot 2 rifles today...sunny day...weaver super slam euro 4-20x50 and sightron s3.....I will get flamed probably but the weaver was noticeably brighter with better contrast, used them on the same power to get apples to apples. I still like sightron reticle, but s3 seemed dull. My 2 cents.

I found similar results to you when I put a s3 up against my weaver tac 3-15x50 the fact that the sightron I borrowed got milky after 12 mag I thought was a major contributor to the above results
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic