OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris XTRII or Sightron SIII? Please help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris XTRII or Sightron SIII? Please help
    Posted: April/17/2015 at 00:26
Looking at either the Burris XTR in 8-40 or the Sightron SIII in 8-32. I've looked through the sightron and liked it, but the turrets and available moa of the Burris is amazing. What's the opinions of these 2 scopes? Thanks
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2015 at 23:58
Anyone?
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2015 at 10:49
I have the sightron your are looking at, no complaints. Have had a few Burris scores including euro diamond and tac but not the one you are considering. Best deal or reticle might be the decision? I do love the reticle I got on the s3, think Moa 2.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2015 at 16:38
The choice between these two depends on a variety of factors, so it kinda comes own to your usage.

XTR II is FFP, while Sightron S3 is SFP, for example.  Which one is preferrable for your use?

Here are a few things to ponder, aside from the FFP vs SFP consideration mentioned above.  

How much magnification do you need?  
What is this going to be used for?
What do you need out of a reticle?  Are you going to range with it or use it for holdover?
Do you prefer MOA-based or mil-based reticle? Burris is MOA only while Sightorn is available with both.
Do you need reticle illumination?

There are other considerations, but this is start.

ILya

kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2015 at 16:47
I'm leaning toward the Burris. FFP which is nice, but not the biggest factor as I usually shoot 2nd plane scopes. However, the zero will be good at any magnification, which IS a plus. I will use all the magnification I can. I love to use my scope as a spotting scope as well. I may not need all the mag, but it's nice to have it available. Either scope will be getting aftermarket ballistic turrets. 200-1500m paper and steel out of a .308, so the Burris having quite a lot more moa may come into play. Illumination is not a factor at all.
My biggest concern is optic clarity. I already know both scopes have great repeatability and turret performance. I'm coming from using Swaro's and Steiners, so clarity is HUGE to me. Thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2015 at 18:06
Both scopes have about the same amount of adjustment available.
Neither has enough to take your 308 to 1500 yards without playing some reticle tricks.
Sightron is a little better optically at high magnificarion.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - April/18/2015 at 18:19
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2015 at 20:03
So, Koshkin, does that mean you have had a chance to evaluate the XTRII??  Is there a writeup on it?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2015 at 21:46
Not a full test, so there is no writeup. I will be doing a full work up in the 2-10x42 soon. With higher power XTR 2, I briefly looked at the glass.

ILya
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2015 at 23:23
Appreciate the input. I know I'll have to use the reticle in either scope to get past the 1200m range, that's why I was leaning towards the Burris and its F-class reticle. I've looked through the sightron S3 and thought the optics were pretty good. Did the Burris have inferior optics at all magnifications or just at the peak mag. Thanks again.
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2015 at 23:45
Over in Sniperhide forums, a member named xphunter has run both of these scopes in competition for awhile now. I tried contacting him, but that site is not the same anymore and I can't get in touch with him. Anyone here know him or maybe he's even a forum member here?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2015 at 00:44
Originally posted by kickin45 kickin45 wrote:

Appreciate the input. I know I'll have to use the reticle in either scope to get past the 1200m range, that's why I was leaning towards the Burris and its F-class reticle. I've looked through the sightron S3 and thought the optics were pretty good. Did the Burris have inferior optics at all magnifications or just at the peak mag. Thanks again.

It is easiest to see the difference in optics at higher magnifications, so that is where it is noticeable, although both scopes are pretty good.

Sightron really benefits from a larger objective lens at higher mags.

ILya
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2015 at 09:28
Agreed. I am really surprised that with a 34mm tube, Burris stayed with a 50mm bell. I would have thought a 56 or at least a 52
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2015 at 09:34
Main tube diameter and the objective bell are independent of each other for the most part.

It is more of a design preference.

Still for high magnification scopes, a well corrected larger objective is s significant advantage. I am testing Sightron SV 10-50x60 right now and it makes a difference.
ILya
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2015 at 20:18
I shot 2 rifles today...sunny day...weaver super slam euro 4-20x50 and sightron s3.....I will get flamed probably but the weaver was noticeably brighter with better contrast, used them on the same power to get apples to apples. I still like sightron reticle, but s3 seemed dull. My 2 cents.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2015 at 22:11
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

I shot 2 rifles today...sunny day...weaver super slam euro 4-20x50 and sightron s3.....I will get flamed probably but the weaver was noticeably brighter with better contrast, used them on the same power to get apples to apples. I still like sightron reticle, but s3 seemed dull. My 2 cents.

Which S3 was it?

As a general comment, Sightron S3 scopes are tuned for resolution more so than contrast.  Super Slam Euro scopes are exactly the opposite of that.

Either way, the Weaver in question has a very limited adjustment range, so it is not really suitable for a long range rifle.  I think Weaver really missed the boat with the reticle selection on these scopes (as they usually do).

ILya
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2015 at 06:58
S3 8-32x56. Agree completely with reticle on weaver, wouldn't normally pick it but a heck of a deal as no one buying them apparently.

I was just shooting 100 for load testing a 308 and 6mm, just surprised me how much different and your answer explains it. I guess I was never aware of tuning the s3 for resolution vs contrast but makes sense. Shame you can't have both.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2015 at 09:08
You can have both to a certain degree if you spend a lot more money.

Super Slam Euros have been discontinued, hence the good deals.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by kickin45 kickin45 wrote:

I'm leaning toward the Burris. FFP which is nice, but not the biggest factor as I usually shoot 2nd plane scopes. However, the zero will be good at any magnification, which IS a plus. I will use all the magnification I can. I love to use my scope as a spotting scope as well. I may not need all the mag, but it's nice to have it available. Either scope will be getting aftermarket ballistic turrets. 200-1500m paper and steel out of a .308, so the Burris having quite a lot more moa may come into play. Illumination is not a factor at all.
My biggest concern is optic clarity. I already know both scopes have great repeatability and turret performance. I'm coming from using Swaro's and Steiners, so clarity is HUGE to me. Thanks

Scope as a spotter?
Zero good at any magnification?
Aftermarket turrets?
1500m with a 308?
Coming from Swaro and Steiner?

I see disappointment in your future.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2015 at 09:59
My biggest complaint against anything Burris right now, is the fact that new Steiner T-5(assembled by Burris) has been having major tracking issues. And then Burris' now familiar customer service gets into the mix. 

To be honest, I haven't seen any complaints against the new Burris scopes, but I haven't seen any reviews emphasizing tracking either...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2015 at 20:41
Ordered one and should have it this week. I'll be happy to a full review on, including pics through the lens. I have an HD 25 megapixel camera that should be a decent representation of the optics. Of course that will also depend on your computer screen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic