OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VXIII vs. Burris Eurodiamond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VXIII vs. Burris Eurodiamond
    Posted: July/21/2006 at 08:24

Scoping my Ruger #! in 45-70 for a black bear hunt this September.

Most shots will be between 40-60 yards, so I'm considering Burris Eurodiamond 1-4, or the Vari XII in 1.5-5.

I've had good experience with the Leupold on other rifles, but have read several favorable posts on the Burris.

All suggestions and opions are welcome.

Thanks!

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2006 at 10:42

The Leupold VXIII 1.5-5X20 is the most respected scope for short-range, hard kicking rifles.  It's what most custom rifle builders recommend.  I had a Eurodiamond 2.5-10 and didn't like it.

You should also consider the Burris Signature Safari 1.75-5X32.  I have one of these on my Marlin .45-70 and it is great.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2006 at 14:20
I have not had A EuroDiamond 1-4x24 (it is pretty new), but I would pick Burris Signarue Safari 1.75-5x32 over the Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20.  Both are good scopes though.

ILya
AftonJohnny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2006 at 16:16

Thank you both for a great reccomendation.

The price seems reasonable, and the eye relief matches or exceeds Leupold's.

christiangoof View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christiangoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2006 at 23:09

Honestly,  Burris and Leupold are both very good scopes for rifles.  And to me they are even in competition.  My dad likes both of them also.  We go to the rifle range and he lets me shoot his gun.  I believe he has a Burris on there.  And I think it is a very nice scope.  I also think Leupold is very nice.  I went to one store, and my dad and I looked through it. 

Always know that if the scope doesn't work well, just ask God to make it work for you. He works wonders you know.

Dorothy
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 00:40

Hello Dorothy

They are both good scopes the ony problem is that Leupold has become very overpriced for what you get.

Both Leupold and Burris have great construction but the optical quality in burris in superior. Leupold is a

more compact scope and has a better finish in my opinion, it also looks better on a rifle but when it comes

down to perfomance I feel that the Burris has the edge. Here is some examples of features vs price.

Burris Signature Select 4-16x44 AO Ballistic Mil-dot  $480

Leupold VX III 4-14x40 Duplex $499

Burris XTR 4-12x50 ILR Ballistic MD $675

Leupold Mark 4 M1 3.5-10x40 ILM MD  $1200

Take care Dorothy.

Trinidad

Anson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 11:43
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I had a Eurodiamond 2.5-10 and didn't like it.

Can you be a little more specific what you didn't like about it? Thanks.
It's all about the data
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 17:03

At the time I had the Euro Diamond I had a Black Diamond and the above mentioned Signature Safari to compare.  The Euro came up short against the others in every respect.  It wasn't as bright or as sharp, and the difference was very noticeable.

As far as Burris SS vs. VX III 1.5-5, there's a reason that gunbuilders use the Leupold on all their hard kickers, and that is that they've never had one fail.  The Burris may be as good, but it hasn't proven itself yet.  There was a very interesting article a few years ago in one of the mags (Shooting TImes?) about the scopes that custom gun makers use.  All had had several failures on hard kickers from Swaro, Zeiss, etc. and recommend only the Leupold 1.5-5. 

I'll try and find the article and post the mag and date.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 17:16
That was an article in Rifle magazine by John Barseness.  He also ntes there that Burris and Weaver Grand Slam scopes have been very durable in his experience.  I would guess that a lot of people request a Leupold because of its reputation and name recognition.  Burris Signature Safari was designed specifically to compete in this market and I do not think I've ever heard of one succumbing to recoil.

As I said, both are good scopes, but I prefer Burris.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christiangoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 17:19

Well, I'll be more specific.  I like Leupold because they are very durable, and will lasts a very long time, even during tough conditions.  I like Burris because, its sites are more accurrate to me.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christiangoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 17:21

Oh yeah, I forgot.  Burris has better eye relief then Leupold.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 17:51
Kosh, John Barsness wrote an article in Rifle magazine titled, " Tough Scopes, Fact or Fiction" (July 2004) where he cited the Elite 4200 scopes being " as tough as any scope made".
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 18:32
Yeah, I remeber that one.  My concern with Elite 4200 and Grand Slam is that their eye relief is a bit too short for me.  Otherwise, they seem to be very durable.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2006 at 08:01
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

You should also consider the Burris Signature Safari 1.75-5X32.  

This is the best advise you have recieved.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2006 at 15:50

Good advice from everyone!

I've done a side-by-side test of the VX-III 1.5-5 vs the Signature Safari.  If you are hunting in the woods, at dawn or near dark, you will appreciate the larger objective and easier, brighter view of the Signature Safari.  You will give up some field, though.  

For me, looking through the VX-III 1.5-5 was like looking through a soda straw, or one of the old less-than-one-inch Weaver .22 scopes.  It's probably at its best in bright sunlight and open fields.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic