OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FX3 2.5x & 4x ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FX3 2.5x & 4x ?
    Posted: March/24/2015 at 20:27

Leupold seem to have neglected the lower end of the fixed scope market. Their FX3 model is not available in 2.5x or 4x.

Is this because we would see no advantage over the FXII models currently offered ?

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 21:14

Leupold has not neglected anything.  The sales for a fixed 2.5 or 4X are

negligible.  Smile

DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 21:55

Perhaps they would increase if they were FX3 offerings ?

The 2.5 is nice to have on a compact short range woods rifle

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2015 at 07:49
Agreed. Sometimes 6X is just more than a person wants or needs. I love 4X fixed scopes. IOR has a dandy little steel tubed one (as does / did Weaver and Sightron).
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2015 at 12:19

I like the Weaver scopes but eye relief is a little short. Never tried IOR - heard they were made in Romania and was worried about warranty work.

I get the impression that Leupold are somewhat hyped, but they can't be beat for eye relief and service. Upgrading the FXII scopes to FX3 would seem like and easy step - better lenses and the newer adjustment system - no need for new tube unless they wanted to differentiate the product and make it a 4x32 (adequate objective given the lens upgrade).

When you're in the woods lower magnification is better. The FXII 4x comes with wide duplex in matt finished version - heavy duplex would seem to be a more logical option.

When all the gizmo crazy kids wise up they will be after fixed power lower magnification scopes too. Unfortunately by the time we wise up we are too old to do much about it - you know what is the best rifle / scope combo but cannot walk through the woods, let alone drag a deer back with you.

Wonder how long it will be before someone comes up with an iPhone app to replace a rifle scope.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2015 at 13:34
For lower magnification optics, the image quality of the FX-2 line is quite good and I am not sure how much would be gained by going to an FX-3 optical system.

Generally, the market for hunting fixed power scopes is sufficiently small that I doubt anyone will invest significant resources into it.

For the higher image quality scopes, Leupold's VX-3 1.5-5x20 pretty much fills the same niche that a compact fixed power scope, except in a more flexible package.

Thanks
ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2015 at 13:35
I have both the FX2 4x and the VX3 1.5-5x and I would pick the variable every single time.  All around a better choice for everything. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2015 at 16:32
I have a discontinued Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5X38. Great glass and plenty of eye relief. I used to have it on my 45-70 but I seldom use that gun and like the scope so much I didn't want it to sit in the safe. It's on my AR-15 now. If you can find one of these, jump all over it.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2015 at 18:02
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Agreed. Sometimes 6X is just more than a person wants or needs. I love 4X fixed scopes. IOR has a dandy little steel tubed one (as does / did Weaver and Sightron).

Ric, when the Southern zone in NY was slug only Mrs. Peddler and I used 1100 Lt 20's with Nikon Monarch's in 4X and they are still in the safe. I may use mine once a year if we are doing drives.

Oh and they shoot pretty nice also.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 07:26
Agreed Skip. I also had fixed 4X's on my slug guns (that were scoped). They did the job just fine. Back in the 70's, I hunted with a Browning Sweet Sixteen with a "deer" barrel. It was un-scoped. Still have that Browning. It was the first gun I ever purchased (in 1966).
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Canuck Bob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 12:46
I have the 2.5X in an earlier M8 Compact.  It is a dandy scope and the optics work well for this scope. The current Ultralight is even better.  I would not see much market for an FX3.  In 4X that might be a different case but not for me.  I am planning one of L's 6Xs someday and do consider the FX3 as a viable scope worth the extra.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic