OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thief Alert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thief Alert
    Posted: March/21/2015 at 13:22
This guy contacts Stephanie and tells her that he ordered an EOTech 552 and we sent him a UTG red/green dot instead.  Stephanie tells him that she will look into it and get back with him.

She goes through all the normal steps like checking inventory levels of both items to see if they are off when she discovered that we do not carry the UTG and the inventory is correct for the EOT552A65.  She checks the SampleList to see if we have ever had one there and determines that we have not.

She asks the guy to please send some pictures of the box, bar codes, product, etc.  He sends back the pictures below showing a UTG box with bar code inside an EOTech sleeve that contains no bar code (EOTech bar code is on the hard case containing the EOTech not its sleeve).

She shows the pictures to the warehouse guys who immediately tell her that there is no possible way that could have left her like that because first it is extremely obvious that it is not an EOTech inside the EOTech sleeve.  Secondly it would not have scanned.  First they have to scan a bar code on the picking ticket that populates the items on the order to a monitor, then they scan the product bar code and if it matches it allows the order to proceed, if it does not match the order cannot proceed.  If that were to happen they would look to see if they pulled the wrong EOTech and if they did they would return it to the shelf and go pull the correct one.  We also have a weight for that box which we were able to duplicate by recreating the order.  We don't have a UTG to pack and weigh but chances are it won't be identical to the EOTech packed in its baby Pelican type case.

One thing to keep in mind here is that we are a small family business employing a very small amount of people that we all know very well.  They are all also very product saavy enthusiast themselves.  I imagine this trick works on Wal-Mart or Cabela's as their order volume and number of employees are many times more than ours.

At this point we are certain that we shipped him what he ordered and called him back to explain that what he claims happened is impossible.  He remains very calm and points out that it could have come from The SampleList, which we responded that it did not.  He then says that maybe we have a disgruntled employee, we told him we don't.  We asked him if the box showed any sign of being tampered with, IE was it cut open and retaped with non SWFA marked tape.  He said no that it had not been opened prior to him opening it.  We told him we could not accept the return and he said he would do a charge back and go to every talk group on the Internet and tell the world how we screwed him.

At this point Stephanie gets me and my mom up to speed on the situation and I told them that Brady and I would start reviewing video footage.  Being in our new building for not even a year we did not think to use our surveillance system to prove we did not ship the wrong item but after how good it worked it will be at the top of our list next time.

First we established this timeline to narrow down the search:

Order placed Friday the 13th online.

303657  Completed  Alegria, Tito  $542.19  3/13/2015 10:17:10 AM   Authorized   Shipped 

Downloaded at 2:41 pm in batch swfa_Mar13150240. 

Printed and headed to warehouse to be pulled at 3:20 pm. 

Shipped USPS Monday the 16th because it was too late to go on Friday.

After looking at video for about an hour we found his order being pulled and packed and it shows an EOTech hard case in its sleeve.  We can say with 100% certainty that we sold, pulled and packed exactly what he ordered.

I am posting this on the offensive to preempt his threat of going to all the major talk groups.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 13:54

" Nancy Pelosi will be badmouthing us tonight on CNN.  Gabby Giffords will have a baby on live TV....oh, well....We Will Survive..."   

Visit the Ed Show
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 19:03
Someone needs a Louisville Slugger attitude adjustment.
God save the Empire!
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 20:17
Don't forget about Al Sharpton and you can probably expect the AG to mount an investigation.  This could be big!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 23:31
You should go ahead and post name and address. That way all the other business will know to watch for this person. We can too.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2015 at 10:11
Definitely racist! Rest assured Chris, if we (in our internet travels) encounter his BS, we'll set the record straight. Your team is awesome... and we will continue our support.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2015 at 10:28
Quick thinking on checking the internal video!!!

I agree on being pre-emptive!  I applaud you on your business savvy and professionalism! Excellent Excellent Excellent.
The fact that your team went thru all that in 'good faith' shows what REAL good business ethics are!

You and your team are truly a class act that I'm sure makes Momma Farris mighty proud!!!  Me too! American Flag
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2015 at 23:32
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Definitely racist! Rest assured Chris, if we (in our internet travels) encounter his BS, we'll set the record straight. Your team is awesome... and we will continue our support.

+1

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 14:23
There might be a good case to be made for attempted fraud and attempted extortion/blackmail. I don't know the laws. The police in Olympia Washington might be interested in this incident...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 14:59
Was any of the exchange via email or all on the phone?

If email, I'd be inclined to post it in its entirety, but that's me. 

Scammers probably plan on most people just giving them what they want to get rid of the problem.

If something went in the mail, it then does become mail fraud.  Tell him to pack it all back up and mail it USPS to you, then it is officially mail fraud, which is federal and big, big penalties!

I understand not being able to afford nice stuff, I've been about as poor as poor gets; but taking from others is wrong, regardless of one's self-justifications.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 16:00
To add on to Rancid's comments. 

He has already committed attempted wire fraud by using the phone. If he were to mail the package he would be committing mail fraud. 

You could also try to file charges against him. I found this while looking up Texas law. Since it was over the phone, if he is out of state then you can try to file from the victim location and/or from the suspect location. 

I just wouldn't see a federal agency picking this up for that dollar amount.

§ 32.22. CRIMINAL SIMULATION. (a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to defraud or harm another: (1) he makes or alters an object, in whole or in part, so that it appears to have value because of age, antiquity, rarity, source, or authorship that it does not have; (2) he possesses an object so made or altered, with intent to sell, pass, or otherwise utter it; or (3) he authenticates or certifies an object so made or altered as genuine or as different from what it is. (b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 16:28
Class A Misdemeanors in Texas are punishable by up to one year in jail and/or up to a $4000 fine.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 16:32
Castration would be much better than a fine!

😈
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic