OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Maven 9x45 Binocular: Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2015 at 20:41
OK, so I just gave myself the observant reviewer award!  I have had this binocular for a month and it just now dawned on me the eye cup assemblies unscrew from the binocular.  Great if you need to add an 0-ring for a little extension of the eye cup.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2015 at 20:45
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2015 at 23:08
Steve,

It should be possible to attach a rubber O-ring to the top of the eyepiece housings, once the eyecup assemblies are removed.

This would allow those who wear eyeglasses to move in closer to the eyepiece lenses, for a  W I D E R  FOV, without scratching the eyeglass lenses against the eyepiece housings.

I have made such modifications to some of the eyepiece housings, of my vintage Porro prism binoculars, after I have unscrewed the metal or plastic eyecups, etc.

The O-rings allowed me to move in closer, when wearing my eyeglasses, & this modification gave me a  W I D E R  FOV overall.  Thinking

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 08:46
Removeable eyecups are a great feature that every binocular should have.

The Maven B1 also has removeable eyecups.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 14:07
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Steve,

It should be possible to attach a rubber O-ring to the top of the eyepiece housings, once the eyecup assemblies are removed.

This would allow those who wear eyeglasses to move in closer to the eyepiece lenses, for a  W I D E R  FOV, without scratching the eyeglass lenses against the eyepiece housings.

I have made such modifications to some of the eyepiece housings, of my vintage Porro prism binoculars, after I have unscrewed the metal or plastic eyecups, etc.

The O-rings allowed me to move in closer, when wearing my eyeglasses, & this modification gave me a  W I D E R  FOV overall.  Thinking

Stan,

I had the same thought you did, so here are a couple of pictures implementing your suggestion, which works great to get full fov wit eye glass wearers who don't have enough with the stock eye cups.

Remove the eye cup assembly use a 1 1/8" faucet washer to fill the bottom of the space used by the eye cup assembly. 

Cut a couple strips of bicycle inner tubes about 1 1/8" long.

Turn the strips inside out.

Place the strip over the ocular tube.

Fold the strip downwards over itself and you can work the strip down to the point where tou have a new eye cup with just the right extension for your eyes.

Steve

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 14:08
Steve

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 14:16
Sorry for the poor photos.  Still working on getting the settings right on my LG G3 phone.  That should convey the idea.

Matt,

The way I found out the eye cups were removable was when I called Maven to wonder why they weren't.  To my chagrin, I found out they were.  Mine were tight, and I was reluctant to use much force.  Yes, I have already slapped myself upside the head!Hammer Hit
Steve

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2015 at 17:50
Steve,

Your finished results look impressive for those who wear eyeglasses & want additional FOV.  Cool

Do you notice a difference in the FOV?

Edited by Bird Watcher - March/21/2015 at 22:15
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2015 at 07:43
Ditto on the B3.
Frank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2015 at 09:27
Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

Ditto on the B3.

Frank,

To clarify, the B3's eyecups are also removeable?

Steve,

On your pics, it just looks like you are inside the minimum focus distance for your camera, so it is focussing on background items.  Giving a little more distance will probably solve the issue.

Thunbs Up
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2015 at 09:46
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Ditto on the B3.

Frank,

Steve,

On your pics, it just looks like you are inside the minimum focus distance for your camera, so it is focussing on background items.  Giving a little more distance will probably solve the issue.

Thunbs Up

Thanks Matt, Big Smile I have come to that conclusion too.  I started wondering when I saw I could read the headstamp in those 308 military cases.  I found it also works better to knock the pixel count down too.  That is the 13 MP camera on my LG G3 smartphone, I have not taken many photos with it. Ordered a digiscoping adapter, so there is another learning curve ahead as well.

Edited by Klamath - March/23/2015 at 09:54
Steve

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 10:33
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Ditto on the B3.

Frank,

Yes, that is correct. The B3s are removable.
Frank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 12:09

Yes, that is correct. The B3s are removable.

Very nice.  Add that to threaded objective barrels and a standard tripod exit, and it seems that Maven is one company that provides usefull features on their products, rather than gelding them arbitrarily.

-Matt
CrazyEddie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyEddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2019 at 15:27
Anyone have a chance to try the B4 15x56 Mavens?
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2019 at 18:41
 Go for it.  Maven has a demo program.  Let us know how it performs.
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2019 at 22:14
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2019 at 22:18
Hi, Steve:

I'm certain I'm a dunce for not knowing William Bruce Cameron. However, I'm with it enough to know the quote you have given to him originated with one of the Einstein Brothers ... Either Frank Einstein or Albert Einstein.

Bill

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2019 at 16:49
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/26/everything-counts-einstein/

https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/eparenting/2013/09/25/everything-that-can-be-counted-does-not-necessarily-count-everything-that-counts-cannot-necessarily-be-counted-albert-einstein/

I was taken to task elsewhere for attributing the quote to Einstein.  The first link is one attributing it to Cameron.  The other attributes it to Einstein.  No source I found attributing it to Einstein actually attributes the circumstance, time,or place where he said it.  It is just said he said it.

There are several sources like the first link which define the place and time where Cameron said it.

Take your pick, I doubt anyone knows if Einstein said it or not.
Steve

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2019 at 17:30
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/26/everything-counts-einstein/

https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/eparenting/2013/09/25/everything-that-can-be-counted-does-not-necessarily-count-everything-that-counts-cannot-necessarily-be-counted-albert-einstein/

I was taken to task elsewhere for attributing the quote to Einstein.  The first link is one attributing it to Cameron.  The other attributes it to Einstein.  No source I found attributing it to Einstein actually attributes the circumstance, time,or place where he said it.  It is just said he said it.

There are several sources like the first link which define the place and time where Cameron said it.

Take your pick, I doubt anyone knows if Einstein said it or not.

Hi, Steve:

Apparently, my humor was too subtle—“Frank Einstein.” There are so many sayings attributed to Albert that he never uttered. But since Cameron was a humorist who was born 8 years after Einstein’s death, I’ll give it to the old guy. Besides, it is most definitely in keeping with his way of thinking.

Please just remember with that information and a buck ... you can buy a Coke. Confused

Bill

Edited by WJC - January/24/2019 at 17:45

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2019 at 08:31
Image result for coca cola 10 cents

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic